1968 : Nixon/Bush (R) vs Humphrey/Muskie (D) vs Wallace/Lemay (I)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968 : Nixon/Bush (R) vs Humphrey/Muskie (D) vs Wallace/Lemay (I)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968 : Nixon/Bush (R) vs Humphrey/Muskie (D) vs Wallace/Lemay (I)  (Read 644 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »

Congressman George Herbert Walker Bush was among the list of potential running mates for Richard Nixon in 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_vice_presidential_candidate_selection,_1968

What if Nixon selected 44-year old Bush as his running mate in '68. How would the electoral map look like. Would Bush help Nixon to perform better in the south and even flip Texas (Humphrey won by just 1 percentage point in real life)?
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »

I think it might help Nixon win Texas and could possibly flip Louisiana, Connecticut (Bush's father was from CT and might have even helped Nixon win there) and Maine (due to Bush's moderatism). other than that, Nixon could not win anywheres else. Maybe if he chose Prescott instead, he would have a bigger amount of states that he could win but otherwise, the most he can get 348 Electoral Votes.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »

I think it might help Nixon win Texas and could possibly flip Louisiana, Connecticut (Bush's father was from CT and might have even helped Nixon win there) and Maine (due to Bush's moderatism). other than that, Nixon could not win anywheres else. Maybe if he chose Prescott instead, he would have a bigger amount of states that he could win but otherwise, the most he can get 348 Electoral Votes.
Maine went to Humphrey because of Muskie. A VP candidate who's moderate wouldn't flip it. Spiro Agnew was viewed as quite moderate too.
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »

327-166-45

Texas is the only state that moves. Humphrey's margin of victory in Connecticut was nearly 5 points; I don't think having Bush as Nixon's running mate is going to do enough to carry him over the line.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »

327-166-45

Texas is the only state that moves. Humphrey's margin of victory in Connecticut was nearly 5 points; I don't think having Bush as Nixon's running mate is going to do enough to carry him over the line.

This
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies