Miss/Mrs./Ms.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Miss/Mrs./Ms.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Which is the appropriate form of address for a woman?
Miss for unmarried women/Mrs. for married women (unless they prefer otherwise)

Ms. for all women unless they prefer otherwise

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Miss/Mrs./Ms.  (Read 8793 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 09:11:39 AM »

Also it is disturbing that women still take the husband's name in many marriages.

I agree that it's disturbing.

What is so disturbing about it?  Why should it matter to you?

And BTW, it's about 90%, and has increased in the past decade.

Women embracing their ancient role as property.. it is a little disturbing, yes.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »

Also it is disturbing that women still take the husband's name in many marriages.

Women embracing their ancient role as property.. it is a little disturbing, yes.

You use women as property every day in a cruder way than 99.9% of the husbands of the world do.  Who are you to be concerned?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 09:24:54 AM »

Cruder? Don't you mean more honest?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 09:34:09 AM »

You use women as property every day in a cruder way than 99.9% of the husbands of the world do.  Who are you to be concerned?

I don't use them as property any more than any employer uses any employee as property, capitalist.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 09:35:56 AM »

Miss/Mrs/Ms is the proper way to address a woman when her marriage status is known.  Ms is proper when not known.   Option 1.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 09:41:20 AM »

I don't use them as property any more than any employer uses any employee as property, capitalist.
Well, lawful possession, anyways.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2005, 09:47:41 AM »

Generally I try to find out what they prefer to be called. As a word "Ms" is pretty ugly anyway. How exactly are you supposed to pronounce it? "Muz" "Miz" "Msssss"? Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 09:50:57 AM »

Generally I try to find out what they prefer to be called. As a word "Ms" is pretty ugly anyway. How exactly are you supposed to pronounce it? "Muz" "Miz" "Msssss"? Wink

Miz or Miss, but primarily Miz.  Fortunately, I can always get away with saying Ma'am.  HAHAHA
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 10:58:45 AM »

I thought that you believed that employers do treat their employees as property.  In any case, if you don't believe in capitalism, give up your private possessions, i.e., your trust fund and whatever money you may have.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »

I find dazzleman's first reply hilarious, and proof of how the anti-PC people are usually more militant than PC people. Sure, don't be politically correct if you don't want, but going out of your way to be un-PC is just stupid.

Much like how he throws a much bigger fit about the term "Native American" and insists that I say Indian when I only say "Native American" because I think it's retarded to associate them with actual Indians.

What I find most hilarious is his f'ucking asinine view that being PC means you love Islam, since everyone knows I'm such an Islam fan. Funny, I always thought I was PC just because I refused to use homophobic slurs as derogatory terms. Don't see what's wrong with that.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »

I find dazzleman's first reply hilarious, and proof of how the anti-PC people are usually more militant than PC people. Sure, don't be politically correct if you don't want, but going out of your way to be un-PC is just stupid.

Much like how he throws a much bigger fit about the term "Native American" and insists that I say Indian when I only say "Native American" because I think it's retarded to associate them with actual Indians.

What I find most hilarious is his f'ucking asinine view that being PC means you love Islam, since everyone knows I'm such an Islam fan. Funny, I always thought I was PC just because I refused to use homophobic slurs as derogatory terms. Don't see what's wrong with that.

If you think anti-PC people are more militant than PC people, you live in an alternate universe.

And if you think being PC doesn't go beyond avoiding the use of anti-gay slurs (which I don't use either), then you have no clue about it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 11:15:25 AM »

I don't see why - it's just a name. My mom kept here maiden name when she married, but it really wouldn't affect much if she had taken my father's last name. Hell, my father could have taken her last name for all I care. Like I said, it's just a name.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »

If you think anti-PC people are more militant than PC people, you live in an alternate universe.

And if you think being PC doesn't go beyond avoiding the use of anti-gay slurs (which I don't use either), then you have no clue about it.

Well then I'm not PC by your definition.

And I've never seen anyone throw a huge fit about the term "Indian" as you did about "Native American". Similarly you make it sound as if there are people out there who would lynch you for saying "black" instead of "African-American", despite the fact the NAACP calls itself the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (Colored basically being a synonym for black), not the NAAAA and the Black Panthers did not call themselves the African American Panthers. The only time I say African-American is to distinguish African-Americans who are the descendents of slaves (so no Richius, you are not African-American) from recent African immigrants to America (so no, I do not consider Obama to be African-American.) I say black every other time, and I have never once, including in my many times on DU, see anyone whine about the term black and insist I say African-American.

I have however much more times been taunted by idiots because of my refusal to say "gay" as an insult (such as "that's gay") or call people I don't like fags. So the anti-PC crowd is definately making the bigger fuss there.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 11:23:28 AM »

I've been called "Doctor Rectangle" about twenty times--mostly ironically.  I've known very few who insist on the title and none who use it in groups that include other Ph.D.s.

I've meet a few women who object to the term "Mrs."  All were married.  The general argument is that "Mrs." implies ownership by a husband.  I don't know were they get this from.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »

If I'm pointing out adults to my children I generally use Mrs. and Miss. If I'm pointing someone out, it's usually because I know them, at least enough to know their names on sight. If for some reason a child gets the title wrong, adults are far less likely to be offended.

My son's starting to mumble some words.  My wife and I call everyone we know by the first name, and the toddler children of my colleagues call my wife and me by our first names, so it seems that teaching first names is fine in the neighborhood.  And if there's an administrator living in my apartment complex, they all have PhDs so they can be Dr. Whatever.  And the blue collar types who live near me all seem to be on first-name bases with the neighborhood children.  And in day-care centers it seems to be the custom to use first names.  And eventually when he starts elementary school, he'll call his teachers by whatever name they introduce themselves.  And in formal settings, you tend to call people by whatever name they give you.  E.g., my wife's green card INS lady introduced herself as "Officer Johnson" so that's how we address her.  Seems that all the situations I can think of are either informal, in which case first names are used, or formal, in which case the person introduces himself or herself as "officer" "doctor" "mister" "miss" "lieutenant" or whatever, so this sort of discussion seems kind of irrelevant.

You people are disturbed easily, or at a minimum seem a tad uptight.  My wife has her sirname, as it is the custom in her country not to change names.  This is a European thing not common in much of the world.  Nowadays, some chinese women take on the name of their spouses because it's "modern" and "western" but my wife is from a pretty old-fashioned traditional family and it would have been offensive for her to do so.  I must admit I'm a tad old-fashioned, and hoped that she would want to keep her original sirname, so I encouraged her not to change her name.  She agreed to keep her original sirname, although if she'd been demanding about changing her name to mine, as many wannabe-western East Asians seem to be, then I'd have to support it.  I got lucky in the sense that my wife comes from a culture where it's natural to keep your own sirname after marriage.  But my guess is that if you marry a woman who absolutely demands to change her name to yours, you have no choice to accept it. 

Anyway, I voted "other"  in your poll because I couldn't find the "who cares?" option.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 11:31:10 AM »

And I've never seen anyone throw a huge fit about the term "Indian" as you did about "Native American". Similarly you make it sound as if there are people out there who would lynch you for saying "black" instead of "African-American", despite the fact the NAACP calls itself the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (Colored basically being a synonym for black), not the NAAAA and the Black Panthers did not call themselves the African American Panthers. The only time I say African-American is to distinguish African-Americans who are the descendents of slaves (so no Richius, you are not African-American) from recent African immigrants to America (so no, I do not consider Obama to be African-American.) I say black every other time, and I have never once, including in my many times on DU, see anyone whine about the term black and insist I say African-American.

I have however much more times been taunted by idiots because of my refusal to say "gay" as an insult (such as "that's gay") or call people I don't like fags. So the anti-PC crowd is definately making the bigger fuss there.

Dude, I think you have WAY too much time on your hands.  I hope you have a 4.0 GPA because if you don't, you should be spending more time studying and less time worrying about what I think American Indians ought to be called.  Trust me, it's a much bigger issue for you than for me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005, 11:32:17 AM »

Dude, I think you have WAY too much time on your hands.  I hope you have a 4.0 GPA because if you don't, you should be spending more time studying and less time worrying about what I think American Indians ought to be called.  Trust me, it's a much bigger issue for you than for me.

My only class today was canceled.

And I'm just proving my point. You anti-PCers whine far more than PCers.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »

My only class today was canceled.

And I'm just proving my point. You anti-PCers whine far more than PCers.

It sounds as if you have a very demanding schedule.

And for the record, you haven't proven your point, if you're still worried about some stupid discussion about American Indians from a few months ago that I've forgotten about.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »

I'm only a part time student now.

And for the record, you haven't proven your point, if you're still worried about some stupid discussion about American Indians from a few months ago that I've forgotten about.

Except it's not PCness I care about. The main thing is you have whined more about PCness than anyone on this board has insisted people use PC terms, considering I have never seen that happen once, unless you count bashing Richius for his use of the racial slur "Paki"
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »

Except it's not PCness I care about. The main thing is you have whined more about PCness than anyone on this board has insisted people use PC terms, considering I have never seen that happen once, unless you count bashing Richius for his use of the racial slur "Paki"

yawn...this is more effective than a sleeping pill....
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 11:51:34 AM »

You should just be lucky that you haven't gone from being called "Uncle" to "Grandpa" like I have.  *sigh*  That was such a depressing day.  hahaha
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »

You still are unable to prove how PCers are more militant than anti-PCers.

Reminds me of your asinine and BS claim that I support Islam.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2005, 12:31:12 PM by dazzleman »

You still are unable to prove how PCers are more militant than anti-PCers.

Reminds me of your asinine and BS claim that I support Islam.

I'm beginning to think you have serious mental problems.  You don't even like me; why do you care what I say?  Not to mention that I know full well you don't support Islam, and really don't care whether you do or not.  Why are you so obsessed with what I might have said about Islam or American Indians 6 months ago?  Do you think I'm up nights worried about what you say?  I hate to break it to you, but you're not that big a part of my life.

You seem to have a cognitive reasoning disorder, which would explain why you hold the political views that you do.  Your interpretation of some of the comments I have made is way off the mark.  I'm not even going to waste my time clarifying anything, because it would probably be easier to communicate with a cement wall.

In any case, I'll tell you how I know that PCers are more militant than anti-PCers.  The definition of militance is demanding change.  People who want to keep the status quo are not, by definition, given to militance.  And who is it that keeps demanding we change the names of everything for no good reason?  Hint:  it's not the anti-PCers.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 04:58:44 PM »

Because keeping one's name is a gesture of equality and feminism. Marriage is a partnership between two individuals. A woman taking a man's name implies that the man is the head of the household. In same-sex marriage, neither partner takes the other one's name, therefore there is no need for straight people to do so either.

And most women who do keep their names are well-educated. The only reason these misogynistic traditions last so long is due to lack of education.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 06:08:59 PM »

And most women who do keep their names are well-educated. The only reason these misogynistic traditions last so long is due to lack of education.

So I guess 90% of women are ill-educated and consider themselves property.

Maybe you better think of another answer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies