Opinion of the Pledge of Allegiance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:02:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Pledge of Allegiance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Practice

Horrible Practice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of the Pledge of Allegiance  (Read 1185 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:14 PM »

I find it sad that simply stating one's allegiance to our country and its values is viewed so negatively here. I'm proud to say the pledge.
I don't have an issue with patriotism or if you want to state it, but I have an issue with public schools forcing children to say it, which is directly contrary to the core values of America.

Many public schools don't force children to say it and instead give them the option. That being said, I have no problem with teachers or staff actively encouraging students to say the pledge, as long as they don't take punitive action against students that don't.

My school doesn't force students to say the pledge. Sometimes a lot of students say it and other times a lot of students don't, though almost all will stand.
ABTars2000
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »

Honestly, I'm down with it.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »

I don't mind it, though it does seem a bit unnecessary. I did get to say it 5 or 6 times on national television at a sporting event so that was awesome.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »

I find it sad that simply stating one's allegiance to our country and its values is viewed so negatively here. I'm proud to say the pledge.

One of my biggest issues with it (aside from the authoritarian nature of it being mandatory in many areas, including when I went to school) is, as a Catholic, we're forced to support idolatry by putting the flag, a piece of cloth, above both God and country (though I also disagree with "under God" being there because it crosses the line into state-sanctioned religion)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 11:30:46 PM »

One of my biggest issues with it (aside from the authoritarian nature of it being mandatory in many areas, including when I went to school) is, as a Catholic, we're forced to support idolatry by putting the flag, a piece of cloth, above both God and country (though I also disagree with "under God" being there because it crosses the line into state-sanctioned religion)

Well, whether or not you agree with "under God" being in the pledge, the fact that it IS there refutes your initial point. It's included out of an inherent recognition of the subordinate status of the nation when placed next to the almighty.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies