Do you stand for the National Anthem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:42:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you stand for the National Anthem?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you stand?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Do you stand for the National Anthem?  (Read 1169 times)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:01 AM »
« edited: September 27, 2018, 12:26:12 AM by ThatConservativeGuy »

Considering events of the past few years and the increased politicization that has come with it, I feel this topic is better situated on the Individual Politics board, as opposed to the forum community. I'm also unsure if this question has already been asked, and if it has, I apologize.

As to the matter at hand, yes, I always stand for the National Anthem. I do so because to me, the flag represents the highest ideals for which America stands - dignity of the individual, equality under the law, and shared love of freedom. To say we shouldn't take pride in the honoring of our country because we've had a flawed past and a flawed present is to deny ANY people in any country that same sense of pride. No nation is perfect, but the story of America is one of ever-increasing justice, consistent commitment to the betterment of man, and a knowledge that the future is ours, if we choose to take it. For that nation, and for that flag, I proudly stand.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »

It's usually only at sports games when I hear it, and yeah I stand then.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 12:22:39 AM »

I stand with a fully engorged member saluting the flag with my left hand and discharging a revolver with my right.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »

Of Course
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:09:36 AM »

S in do I stand up for it when international football is on TV? No. That would be deranged
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 02:59:22 AM »

Yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:09:56 AM »

yes, and I take my hat off.  I don't put my hat or hand over my heart and I don't follow along.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:13:18 AM »

If I'm at a public event, I stand. If I'm at home and they're playing it on TV, I sit. If I'm at a public event and the national anthem is playing and rednecks wearing shirts that say "I STAND FOR THE ANTHEM" are drunkenly passing around beers and hot dogs, I throw sh**t at them. Normal?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 06:13:37 AM »

If I'm at a public event, I stand. If I'm at home and they're playing it on TV, I sit. If I'm at a public event and the national anthem is playing and rednecks wearing shirts that say "I STAND FOR THE ANTHEM" are drunkenly passing around beers and hot dogs, I throw sh**t at them. Normal?

You see citizens not bothering anyone, possibly giving away free beers and dogs, and you harass them?
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 06:17:58 AM »

You see citizens not bothering anyone, possibly giving away free beers and dogs, and you harass them?

No but I want too 😂
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »

I would if they changed it to Jerusalem, but GDTQ is not very inspiring (unless I'm at a solemn event like Remembrance Day, but only a wanker would protest then).
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »

I would if they changed it to Jerusalem, but GDTQ is not very inspiring (unless I'm at a solemn event like Remembrance Day, but only a wanker would protest then).

Another CORBYN FAIL
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 06:47:23 AM »

Another CORBYN FAIL

well, purposeful slights. whatever you say about Corbyn, there's no shortage of similar inane DISRESPECT scandals the media dredge up whenever they can:

also the insane cult of the poppy, which dictates that people must wear poppies for like two months before Remembrance Day.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »

Another CORBYN FAIL

well, purposeful slights. whatever you say about Corbyn, there's no shortage of similar inane DISRESPECT scandals the media dredge up whenever they can:

also the insane cult of the poppy, which dictates that people must wear poppies for like two months before Remembrance Day.

Did someone say poppy? Hold on, let's invade Afghanistan real quick.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 07:01:46 AM »

No but I want too 😂

*to
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »

No but I want too 😂

*to

No I said what I meant
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »

Is it common to stand up for the anthem if you're watching it on tv being performed for a sports event? We don't do this in NL. But I do stand up for our anthem and put my hand over my heart when I watch the national WW2 commemoration ceremony on a live stream from my computer.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »

Ok, well considering I watch such a small amount of sports on TV, I didn't even consider the idea of standing while in my own house, and no, I would likely not do that. So I always stand when I'm at an actual event where the anthem is being played, I'll correct myself to say.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »

If I'm at a sporting event or public place, then yeah. If not, then no.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »

Ok, well considering I watch such a small amount of sports on TV, I didn't even consider the idea of standing while in my own house, and no, I would likely not do that. So I always stand when I'm at an actual event where the anthem is being played, I'll correct myself to say.

Is it disrespectful to not stand?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »

I think in a public setting where there is an ongoing honoring of the nation/flag, yes. In your own home, no. It's the same reason I wouldn't stand if the national anthem was played within a movie; in those cases, the anthem is not being played for me but rather those people experiencing it, first-hand.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »

no, but if I have a hat on I will take it off and will say the words, I just won't stand up.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »

I think in a public setting where there is an ongoing honoring of the nation/flag, yes. In your own home, no. It's the same reason I wouldn't stand if the national anthem was played within a movie; in those cases, the anthem is not being played for me but rather those people experiencing it, first-hand.

It's almost like those who kneel: this anthem isn't played for me, but those who experience freedom first hand. Those who look right. Went to the right school. Had the right family. Do you think those who feel that way are disrespectful or do you agree that it's up to the person?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »

If I'm at a sporting event or public place, then yeah. If not, then no.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »

No. I don't think I've ever heard the national anthem in a public event though. It does play when the national team is playing but I've never been to one of their matches live.

Even in national sport matches, the national anthem is played exactly once per season (at the finals of the Kings' Cup). And that is protested and booed by Catalan/Basque football fans anyways, and no one really cares.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies