Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:45:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 88694 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: November 07, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »

Supposedly 2,000 of the Milwaukee ballots were "reconstructed", I doubt it changes anything at all though.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1076 on: November 07, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 11:53:46 AM by Virginiá »

It'll be key to watch how Republicans in the legislature behave. They could try to remove the Governor from the redistricting process, but voters will have to approve it. What I will say is that if they wanted to do that, it basically costs nothing. But the big failure of the North Carolina GOP's amendment schemes this cycle might help instill a sense of futility in the WIGOP. Although walking away from this election with little-to-no erosion in their legislative ranks might embolden them. I dunno.

Also there is no guarantee the WIGOP has a state Supreme Court majority by the time the maps need to be redrawn. I think Democrats have some opportunities, and at worst, the GOP will only have a small majority on the bench.

Edit: Actually, seems like Republicans will likely have a bare majority for redistricting, but that hardly means the GOP will just gerrymander through them instead, if it falls to the judges.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1077 on: November 07, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »

It'll be key to watch how Republicans in the legislature behave. They could try to remove the Governor from the redistricting process, but voters will have to approve it. What I will say is that if they wanted to do that, it basically costs nothing. But the big failure of the North Carolina GOP's amendment schemes this cycle might help instill a sense of futility in the WIGOP. Although walking away from this election with little-to-no erosion in their legislative ranks might embolden them. I dunno.

Also there is no guarantee the WIGOP has a state Supreme Court majority by the time the maps need to be redrawn. I think Democrats have some opportunities, and at worst, the GOP will only have a small majority on the bench.

Edit: Actually, seems like Republicans will likely have a bare majority for redistricting, but that hardly means the GOP will just gerrymander through them instead, if it falls to the judges.

Couple things: 1) There is not enough time for Repubilcans to get a Consitutional Amendment on the ballot in time before 2021. It has to pass in two consecutive terms. That is unless they call a special session before January. 2) If there is a deadlock regarding redistricting, the federal courts will get the authority to drawn the lines, not the state courts. Look at Virgina for example.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1078 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »

Couple things: 1) There is not enough time for Repubilcans to get a Consitutional Amendment on the ballot in time before 2021. It has to pass in two consecutive terms. That is unless they call a special session before January. 2) If there is a deadlock regarding redistricting, the federal courts will get the authority to drawn the lines, not the state courts. Look at Virgina for example.

Are you forgetting who controls the federal courts? 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1079 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »

Can't they just pass it in 2019 and then again in 2020? Certainly there are at least two sessions between 2019 and 2020, and of course special sessions.

Virginia's redraw was done by federal courts because a federal court struck down the original map. I was curious myself who does it in a deadlock during the actual, official new census redistricting, so I looked up Minnesota, and evidently they have a state court panel do theirs due to the deadlock.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1080 on: November 07, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »

Even in 2011 when the Bushies controlled the federal courts, court drawn maps where much fairer than partisan drawn maps. Also they always appoint a special master, who's usually a college professor somewhere.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1081 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »

Can't they just pass it in 2019 and then again in 2020? Certainly there are at least two sessions between 2019 and 2020, and of course special sessions.

Virginia's redraw was done by federal courts because a federal court struck down the original map. I was curious myself who does it in a deadlock during the actual, official new census redistricting, so I looked up Minnesota, and evidently they have a state court panel do theirs due to the deadlock.

Sessions in this case means terms... So 2019, and 2021, to be voted on in 2023 at the earliest.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1082 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »

Ohhh ok, thanks. Fair enough!
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1083 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »

"Counties have to start the vote canvass by Tuesday and have until Nov. 20 to report the totals to the state, which then has until Dec. 3 to certify the results."

https://dailyreporter.com/2018/11/07/election-results-suggest-tony-evers-narrowly-defeats-gov-walker/
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1084 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »

This was the best result of last night other than winning the House. God bless the People’s Republic of Madison.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1085 on: November 07, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »

Walker conceded!!!

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1086 on: November 07, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »

Walker conceded!!!

"Mr. Koch, can I have a job please?"
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1087 on: November 07, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »

Walker conceded!!!

"Mr. Koch, can I have a job please?"

There's an opening in Washington DC...
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1088 on: November 07, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »

All hail Governor Super Nintendo
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1089 on: November 07, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »

Walker conceded!!!

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1090 on: November 07, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »

It would be a random district court judge chosen from the Western District of Wisconsin (because it covers Madison). All three currently active judges on the Western District of Wisconsin were appointed by Democrats (two Obama, one Carter).
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1091 on: November 07, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

Virginia: You were right

Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1092 on: November 07, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »

This is gonna go about as well as it did in NC.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1093 on: November 07, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

Exactly
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1094 on: November 07, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »

Exactly

Stuff like this is how you accelerate trends against your party.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1095 on: November 07, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »

What were the gains/losses in the Legislature? I know the Republicans kept the majorities, I just haven't been able to find out the specifics.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1096 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »

What were the gains/losses in the Legislature? I know the Republicans kept the majorities, I just haven't been able to find out the specifics.

R+1 in State Senate, NC in State Assembly.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1097 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »

R+1 in State Senate, NC in State Assembly.

AD-14 will go to a recount, Republican is up by like 21 votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1098 on: November 07, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »

Even the WISC will vote against the power grab.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1099 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »

Even the WISC will vote against the power grab.

It depends on what it is I imagine. I don't know exactly how powerful the WI Governor is and what exactly he can do, but if the WIGOP is like the NCGOP, they will probably try to limit his input in election stuff and place restraints on his ability to freely staff his administration. Maybe also take away the ability of the executive to pass some kinds of regulations as well. This is all pretty typical.

Can't say I'm surprised at this. The Republican Party these days is a place where ethics go to die. Too many corrupt politicians who are drowning in the money and priorities of wealthy people and corporations. Not to mention the dangerous trend of anti-democratic tendencies over the past generation.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies