NYC vs. DC vs. Chicago vs. LA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:52:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NYC vs. DC vs. Chicago vs. LA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Best of these cities?
New York City

Washington DC

Chicago

Los Angeles

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: NYC vs. DC vs. Chicago vs. LA  (Read 2159 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2018, 04:58:43 PM by Torie »

That's the secret of US cities. There are the big three, which appear at the top of all the lists like the ones noted. After that there is a bunch of second tier cities that leap frog each other depending on the list.

The big three cities are also host to the big three metro areas, and there is a considerable drop off in population from the Chicago metro area to number 4. When it comes to influence, I would have to rate the DC metro number 4 by a substantial margin. Yeah, the Bay Area won't like that. Smiley
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »

That's the secret of US cities. There are the big three, which appear at the top of all the lists like the ones noted. After that there is a bunch of second tier cities that leap frog each other depending on the list.
Yes and no. Chicago, DC-MD-VA, and the Bay Area definitely cluster, and the DC-MD-VA CSA is going to pass Chicago's in population soonish. Regardless, these five definitely are the true global cities of the USA.

The megacities (10+million)
New York, Los Angeles

The heavy-hitters (8-10 million)
Chicago, Washington-Baltimore, San Francisco

The regional centers (4-8 million)
Boston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle

The rest (under 4 million)

Of course, this is turning into CityData.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 06:57:46 AM »

1. LA
2. DC
3. NY
4. CHI

Source: been to all
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »

Everybody who voted DC in the poll should be deported to North Korea.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 05:34:07 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2018, 05:43:52 PM by RINO Tom »

The big three cities are also host to the big three metro areas, and there is a considerable drop off in population from the Chicago metro area to number 4. When it comes to influence, I would have to rate the DC metro number 4 by a substantial margin. Yeah, the Bay Area won't like that. Smiley

And, I think it is too often ignored that the size of a metro often (stress: often) holds more weight than the size of the city itself when it comes to relevance.  Taking Ohio, for example, you would have Cleveland as BY FAR the biggest city in the state and Cincinnati third.  However, Cincinnati is the biggest metro area in the state (and Cleveland recently dropped to third), and I would argue there is quite a discrepancy between how big they "look" and how cool their skylines/downtowns appear (which often plays a decently important part as far as influence/relevance goes, IMO):

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Obviously, Cincinnati isn't leagues ahead of Cleveland, but it is a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller city; you would be shocked to hear that by looking at those two photos if you didn't already know.  I think the size of the metro is going to determine how many people are traveling into that city (i.e., forcing it to accommodate them) on a daily basis and is often a much more meaningful stat.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »

I've been to two cities and NY is the most expensive city in America so won't be going there, and LA is much better than Chicago.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »

I've been to two cities and NY is the most expensive city in America so won't be going there, and LA is much better than Chicago.
False. San Jose and San Francisco are more expensive.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »

Chicago
NYC
DC
LA
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »