Whenever Papa Bush Dies...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:21:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Whenever Papa Bush Dies...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the Reactions and Proceedings Following Said Death be Bigger or Smaller than With McCain?
Bigger

Smaller

About the Same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Whenever Papa Bush Dies...  (Read 1062 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
« edited: September 20, 2018, 07:11:59 AM by Free Bird »

I can honestly say I've never seen such widespread reactions of genuine respect and grief after a politician died when McCain passed. It's understandable why, given all he did. It was on par with the death of a President, but even Ford or Nixon didn't have such widespread grief or respect on display, in my opinion, though Ford came pretty close. One of my friends actually compared it to everyone raising their wands after Dumbledore died in Half-Blood Prince, which I couldn't help but laugh at, inappropriate as the reference might have been at the time. But they weren't wrong. The shows of respect were that widespread and big.

Papa Bush did many of the same things (war hero, bipartisan, down to earth, already widely respected especially in political circles), and it's conceivable that he could die during Trump's current term.

When he dies, whenever that may be, do you think that the reactions and proceedings following (funeral, memorial services, etc.) will be as large, widespread, (mostly) genuine, and filled with bipartisan respect as happened with McCain? Bigger? Smaller? About the same?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:54 AM »

I voted about the same, maybe a bit smaller only because he won't have been politically relevant up until his passing like McCain was as an incumbent Senator who was still making an impact.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:18:15 AM »

Poppy Bush has his #MeToo issues that have recently been revealed, although they may be the acts of a senile old man.

McCain was a Republican who was as much a fave of the liberal media as the GOP had.  If the Bush Family hardens its posture toward Trump, then, yes, all mention of secret trips to Paris in 1980 will disappear and Poppy Bush will be lionized as THE MAN THAT WON THE COLD WAR.  (Perhaps that card can be played twice.)   

Poppy Bush was a guy who I had mixed feelings about.  He was a guy who was exceptionally qualified to be President, and a legitimate WWII hero who received unfair criticism as a "wimp".  I once liked him and thought him unfairly criticized.  He was also the initiator of interventionist globalism in the Middle East and of trade agreements that decimated the working class in America.  And I've never been a believer in his "decency"; I view him as a guy that could take out the trash with discretion. 

Here's something for the GOP critics of Trump on Atlas:  Where's the flak for Poppy Bush in pardoning Cap Weinberger?  Weinberger was a guy who was in a position to flip on Poppy for Iran-Contra, was he not?  Trump, of course, is rude and crude, while Poppy was genteel, but the double standard here is a bit perplexing.  Poppy Bush is an HP whose reputation will be rehabbed as needed in the Great Anti-Trump Media War.  At least that's my analysis.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »

The pomp and ceremony will obviously be more, as it is for a former president. Positive reactions, however, will not be as wide-spread. There will be a fair bit of coverage, obviously, but not so much using his death as a way to stick it to political enemies.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »

The pomp and ceremony will obviously be more, as it is for a former president. Positive reactions, however, will not be as wide-spread. There will be a fair bit of coverage, obviously, but not so much using his death as a way to stick it to political enemies.
This, more or less.  Unless, of course, some new drama unfolds between Trump and the Bush Family between now and Poppy Bush's passing.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »

I can see Bush asking Bill Clinton to speak at his funeral.

I think one thing getting missed by a lot of people is that the older class of politicians and leaders were more bipartisan than we gave them credit for; unlike today.  Trump's funeral will not have any Democratic speakers, for instance, and maybe not even any in attendance (including past presidents like Obama and Bill, nor Carter if he's still alive).  Not so for Pence's funeral, which I could see being a tad friendlier in terms of both sides.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:10 AM »

I think one thing getting missed by a lot of people is that the older class of politicians and leaders were more bipartisan than we gave them credit for; unlike today.  Trump's funeral will not have any Democratic speakers, for instance, and maybe not even any in attendance (including past presidents like Obama and Bill, nor Carter if he's still alive).  Not so for Pence's funeral, which I could see being a tad friendlier in terms of both sides.

Barring some miracle of the transformation of millions of minds on all sides, I expect Trump's funeral to be one of the most surreal events of my lifetime (assuming I'm alive for it).
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »

Barring some miracle of the transformation of millions of minds on all sides, I expect Trump's funeral to be one of the most surreal events of my lifetime (assuming I'm alive for it).

I honestly don't know that either of the Bush's (provided Bush I is still alive) would attend Trump's funeral either.  Trump has completely alienated himself from that club.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »

I wonder if the coffin would be gilded with TRUMP emblazoned on it in block letters.

Gotta stay on brand after all
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »

I strongly agree with that part.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »

When Papa Bush dies....Trump will probably make fun of him for not winning Wisconsin and West Virginia like he did
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »

Unlike McCain’s funeral if HW passes away during Trump presidency , Trump may have to speak there since it will be a state funeral which would be terrible 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

He deserves a bigger one

He was a war hero as well, but he was also a President as well and a very good one too
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »

I honestly don't know that either of the Bush's (provided Bush I is still alive) would attend Trump's funeral either.  Trump has completely alienated himself from that club.

The only living GOP nominee that even voted for Trump was Bob Dole.

It will be awkward at Poppy Bush's funeral if Trump is there.  And, in that case, he'll have to be.  I suppose we'll find out then how well he can stick to a script.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »

About same, focus would then turn to Dubya, Clarence Thomas was his pick and despised by liberals
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »

Unlike McCain’s funeral if HW passes away during Trump presidency , Trump may have to speak there since it will be a state funeral which would be terrible 

McCain had a state funeral.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »

Exactly.
McCain's entire funeral plans included him lying in state in the US Capitol building.
Should papa Bush die in the next 2 years and if the Bush family asks for the Orange Buffoon to stay-away, I dont see any requirement that trump "must" be there or speak.
No reasonable person would want that Nut-job at their funeral.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »

Exactly.
McCain's entire funeral plans included him lying in state in the US Capitol building.
Should papa Bush die in the next 2 years and if the Bush family asks for the Orange Buffoon to stay-away, I dont see any requirement that trump "must" be there or speak.
No reasonable person would want that Nut-job at their funeral.

Donald Trump was a Bush 41 supporter both times out who was actually mentioned as a possible running mate in 1988.

It seems so long ago.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2018, 04:24:19 PM by darklordoftech »

And I can't even see him or Liddy attending Trump's funeral.
Donald Trump was a Bush 41 supporter both times out who was actually mentioned as a possible running mate in 1988.

It seems so long ago.
Trump mentioned to Atwater that he wanted to be Bush's running mate. Atwater informed Bush of this, but Bush didn't take the idea seriously.

I wonder if Trump's attacks on Jeb in the primaries were motivated by a desire for revenge on the Bushes for not picking him as a running mate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »

And I can't even see him or Liddy attending Trump's funeral.

Dole was an enthusiastic Trump supporter in 2016.  It's Ted Cruz that Dole hates.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »

I can see them being smaller. HW's Presidency doesn't seem to have the memorability as most other Presidents, in spite of his fairly impressive political career. He is probably most associated with Dan Quayle, Desert Storm, and "read my lips: no new taxes." Beyond that, his legacy is fairly benign and he doesn't seem to evoke strong reactions out of Americans of any political persuasion. Either way, Trump won't be invited to his funeral either.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »

I can see them being smaller. HW's Presidency doesn't seem to have the memorability as most other Presidents, in spite of his fairly impressive political career. He is probably most associated with Dan Quayle, Desert Storm, and "read my lips: no new taxes." Beyond that, his legacy is fairly benign and he doesn't seem to evoke strong reactions out of Americans of any political persuasion. Either way, Trump won't be invited to his funeral either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies