Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:22:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Should Kavanaugh withdraw?
Yes, #NoToKavanaugh

No, it's only an accusation

No, Trump should do it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?  (Read 5679 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

He should, but he won't, and he will be confirmed. 
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

There's literally no proof of this whatsoever, and it's frightening to see Atlas posters fall into this hysterical mob mentality.
DavidB., the accuser told her husband about Kavanaugh's assault in 2002 and also told her therapist about it in 2012, and the therapist recorded it in her notes.
Yes, that's what accusers tend to do. Accuse.

*shrug* It's corroboration, the same way Jim Comey wrote down notes from his meetings with Donald Trump in real time so he couldn't be credibly accused of fabricating things later. It may not strike you as intuitive but clearly the American legal system considers it noteworthy.
Well, I'll believe it if he's ever convicted. The timing is suspect though. Almost looks as if this is another tryhard Democratic attempt to desperately make sure Trump can't govern. You know, like the Russia nothingburger.

Lots of sexual assault perpetrators are never convicted.  The accuser has passed a polygraph, and she has evidence of talking about this with a therapist long before this has happened.

I'll say this:  If Kavanaugh were a mental health counselor or a Clinical Social Worker, the evidence this victim came forth with would be enough for his fitness to be brought into question and his licensure to come under review.  And, when you think about the nature of those occupations, why should that not be?  Kavanaugh may well have lied about this affair; what does that say about  the occupation he wishes to enter into?

If this were the top salesman in a car dealership and such became known... the dealership would likely fire him.

Kavanaugh was not well vetted, and such can happen when one puts ideology over character or defines ideology as character.

He has not done well to quiet the concerns that many of us might have of his character. For high elected, appointed, or employed office (such as general- or admiral-rank military officer), character matters greatly. Bret Kavanaugh cannot blame the liquor (even if it is 'only' mass-market beer). He cannot blame a sexually-charged culture. I lived during that time and I would have never thought of doing anything of the sort. I would have never thought "she is black, so she is a slut, and she wants it", which of course would be at the least unfashionable in my youth circle. Having sex with a black girl would have been fine in my circle, but it had better be 100% consensual.

You just spent half that post readjusting your teenage fantasies into a politically correct sermon your grandmother would enjoy.

Kavanagh had drunk sex.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »

There's literally no proof of this whatsoever, and it's frightening to see Atlas posters fall into this hysterical mob mentality.
DavidB., the accuser told her husband about Kavanaugh's assault in 2002 and also told her therapist about it in 2012, and the therapist recorded it in her notes.

*shrug* It's corroboration, the same way Jim Comey wrote down notes from his meetings with Donald Trump in real time so he couldn't be credibly accused of fabricating things later. It may not strike you as intuitive but clearly the American legal system considers it noteworthy.
Well, I'll believe it if he's ever convicted. The timing is suspect though. Almost looks as if this is another tryhard Democratic attempt to desperately make sure Trump can't govern. You know, like the Russia nothingburger.

Lots of sexual assault perpetrators are never convicted.  The accuser has passed a polygraph, and she has evidence of talking about this with a therapist long before this has happened.

I'll say this:  If Kavanaugh were a mental health counselor or a Clinical Social Worker, the evidence this victim came forth with would be enough for his fitness to be brought into question and his licensure to come under review.  And, when you think about the nature of those occupations, why should that not be?  Kavanaugh may well have lied about this affair; what does that say about  the occupation he wishes to enter into?

If this were the top salesman in a car dealership and such became known... the dealership would likely fire him.

Kavanaugh was not well vetted, and such can happen when one puts ideology over character or defines ideology as character.

He has not done well to quiet the concerns that many of us might have of his character. For high elected, appointed, or employed office (such as general- or admiral-rank military officer), character matters greatly. Bret Kavanaugh cannot blame the liquor (even if it is 'only' mass-market beer). He cannot blame a sexually-charged culture. I lived during that time and I would have never thought of doing anything of the sort. I would have never thought "she is black, so she is a slut, and she wants it", which of course would be at the least unfashionable in my youth circle. Having sex with a black girl would have been fine in my circle, but it had better be 100% consensual.

You just spent half that post readjusting your teenage fantasies into a politically correct sermon your grandmother would enjoy.

Kavanagh had drunk sex.
Drunk sex?

WTF is wrong with you?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »

Well it’s always fun when someone outs themself
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.

I thought he said it never happened, glad to know you think he’s lying.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Isn't this the only correct answer.  Does anyone think that if he is actually innocent he should withdraw anyway?  Or that he should be confirmed even if he is guilty of what was described?

So it seems like this question really just boils down to "Do you think Kavanaugh is guilty?".
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.

If it was more than drunk sex, let's wait for the evidence to be presented in a court of law and charges and a prosecution of those charges.

Up until then, he has no criminal record in this regard.

Accusations are just that.

Accusations.

The political tool of choice in 2018 for Democrats to alter the election of Republican favoured positions.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:46 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.
Drunk sex?

WTF is wrong with you?

This. * 10.

I mean the seriously. If you want to see believe that the allegations of him pinning Ford to the bed holding her down when she tried to get up, trying to rip her clothes off and cover her mouth so she couldn't scream is, I still can't believe you believe this, drunk sex, you are probably going to wind up criminally charged one of these days.

This reminds me why I I stick to my phrase that you are one of the worst posters around after Reagan fan.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2018, 06:56:58 PM »

He should, but he won't, and he will be confirmed. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.

If it was more than drunk sex, let's wait for the evidence to be presented in a court of law and charges and a prosecution of those charges.

Accusations.

The political tool of choice in 2018 for Democrats to alter the election of Republican favoured positions.

Okay, so now you're going back to claiming that she has somehow made up these allegations as long ago as at least 2012 or even earlier as documentation proves, because there's a democratic time machine somewhere that allowed them to recently go back in time in an effort to undermine kavanagh's confirmation.

Got it. Cool story bro!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.
Drunk sex?

WTF is wrong with you?

This. * 10.

I mean the seriously. If you want to see believe that the allegations of him pinning Ford to the bed holding her down when she tried to get up, trying to rip her clothes off and cover her mouth so she couldn't scream is, I still can't believe you believe this, drunk sex, you are probably going to wind up criminally charged one of these days.

This reminds me why I I stick to my phrase that you are one of the worst posters around after Reagan fan.
Huh? Are you talking about me?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »

Trump should rescind his nomination and temporarily re-nominate Sandra Day O'Connor to the SCOTUS until we can figure out whats going on here
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.

Accusations.

If this happened, no matter what gross way you want to characterize it, he has already lied about it repeatedly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:44 PM »

Kavanagh had drunk sex.
Drunk sex?

WTF is wrong with you?

This. * 10.

Huh? Are you talking about me?

No, Meclazine
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

I skipped through this whole thread. LOL. Is it as much of a mess as I think it is OP?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:51 PM »

The level of discourse about this from conservatives really shows how pervasive rape culture is
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:28 PM »

I skipped through this whole thread. LOL. Is it as much of a mess as I think it is OP?
Yep lol.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »

The level of discourse about this from conservatives really shows how pervasive rape culture is

How? 

Very few people are saying that Ford should not testify or that she is lying.

A number of people are saying, "Let's see if we can verify her story."  I'm one of them.

Maybe Ford can identify some of the other people at the party, and investigators could ask them.

I'm suggesting that she could testify in executive session, if she would wish to.  I was fine with Ford's identity being kept secret; she chose to reveal it, and respect her right to do so. 

How is that part of a "rape culture."
AtorBoltox

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »

How? 

A number of people are saying, "Let's see if we can verify her story."  I'm one of them.

Maybe Ford can identify some of the other people at the party, and investigators could ask them.

I'm suggesting that she could testify in executive session, if she would wish to.  I was fine with Ford's identity being kept secret; she chose to reveal it, and respect her right to do so. 

The comments about how it was just ‘drunk sex’; how it doesn’t matter because it was 40 years ago and that it should be a forgiven because Kavanaugh was 17 are all part of rape culture. And maybe you haven’t, but you’d have to be deaf and blind to honestly believe ‘very few’ people have accused her of lying
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »

Worth pointing out that the only other person present at the alleged incident, Mark Judge, explicitly does not want to testify. If Judge thought that his friend Kav was being unfairly attacked, you'd think he'd jump at the chance.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2018, 09:28:01 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Worth pointing out that the only other person present at the alleged incident, Mark Judge, explicitly does not want to testify. If Judge thought that his friend Kav was being unfairly attacked, you'd think he'd jump at the chance.

I would certainly have no interest in testifying before Congress for any friend from high school. To face who knows what kind of questions? When you have your own life to manage? Just make a prepared public statement/press release for what he was called out for and call it a day. More than enough help to control the narrative.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »

Since the other thread was locked for no good reason, he has liberal hero George W. Bush's full support: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/18/george-bush-supports-kavanaugh-827976
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2018, 10:07:28 PM »

How? 

The comments about how it was just ‘drunk sex’; how it doesn’t matter because it was 40 years ago and that it should be a forgiven because Kavanaugh was 17 are all part of rape culture. And maybe you haven’t, but you’d have to be deaf and blind to honestly believe ‘very few’ people have accused her of lying

Rape Culture is a cheap term for cheap intellects to make cheap arguments.

This matter involves all sorts of conflicting principles, many of which are important in a fundamental way.  The fact that Kavanaugh was 17 is relevant.  The fact that the accusation is late in coming and the accuser is somewhat reluctant is, indeed, relevant.  The fact that the alleged victim passed a polygraph and has the kind of mental health counseling history common to many trauma victims is relevant.  These things all are in conflict, and all are important.

Resolving difficult issues for the better often involves balancing competing principles against each other, in order to make the best decision on a matter.  It's hard to do, but some, like AltorBotox, don't even try.  Perhaps if the rest of us honestly try to do this, instead of relying on partisan talking points, we might actually elect better people to public office and create a better world than the one we have now.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »

The fact that the committee won't subpoena him gives the game away.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »

Rape Culture is a cheap term for cheap intellects to make cheap arguments.

This matter involves all sorts of conflicting principles, many of which are important in a fundamental way.  The fact that Kavanaugh was 17 is relevant.  The fact that the accusation is late in coming and the accuser is somewhat reluctant is, indeed, relevant.  The fact that the alleged victim passed a polygraph and has the kind of mental health counseling history common to many trauma victims is relevant.  These things all are in conflict, and all are important.

How are any of those things relevant?

Kavanaugh's age is not relevant as far as exoneration goes, moral or legal. If your son did what Kavanaugh is accused of at age 17, would you really give him a pass? If someone you knew was abused like this at age 15, would you really have excused the behavior of the attacker because of his age?

The timing of the accusation means nothing. The psychology of abuse victims is very complicated and fraught. There are hundreds of reasons for a victim not to immediately come forward, none of which detract from the veracity of the claim.

The polygraph test is a flawed way of detecting lies and inadmissible in a court of law. Whether or not the victim (or Kavanaugh) passed one is also totally irrelevant.

And you can't tell me the idea of "rape culture" is cheap when the reaction to a rape allegation laid at the feet of a powerful man elicits the response "I feel so bad for the accused, who may have his life ruined" from a substantial portion of people in this society. A culture that took rape seriously would unanimously take a highly credible accusation of attempted rape more seriously than the reputation of some run-of-the-mill, ordinary, unrepentant man.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies