Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:12:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Should Kavanaugh withdraw?
Yes, #NoToKavanaugh

No, it's only an accusation

No, Trump should do it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw his nomination?  (Read 5678 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »

There's literally no proof of this whatsoever, and it's frightening to see Atlas posters fall into this hysterical mob mentality.
DavidB., the accuser told her husband about Kavanaugh's assault in 2002 and also told her therapist about it in 2012, and the therapist recorded it in her notes.
Yes, that's what accusers tend to do. Accuse.

*shrug* It's corroboration, the same way Jim Comey wrote down notes from his meetings with Donald Trump in real time so he couldn't be credibly accused of fabricating things later. It may not strike you as intuitive but clearly the American legal system considers it noteworthy.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »

There's literally no proof of this whatsoever, and it's frightening to see Atlas posters fall into this hysterical mob mentality.
DavidB., the accuser told her husband about Kavanaugh's assault in 2002 and also told her therapist about it in 2012, and the therapist recorded it in her notes.

The loudest victims usually have the most to hide. Something ain't adding up, but we shall see.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

The loudest victims usually have the most to hide. Something ain't adding up, but we shall see.

That really makes no sense. Especially considering that Ford didn't want to publicly reveal her name initially. What isn't adding up is the numbers for the confirmation to go through or the numbers for Republicans to maintain the Senate if this mess drags out until November.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »

That really makes no sense. Especially considering that Ford didn't want to publicly reveal her name initially. What isn't adding up is the numbers for the confirmation to go through or the numbers for Republicans to maintain the Senate if this mess drags out until November.

Yes, I think Mike Naso's quote highlights why Ford has achieved such credibility—she has avoided the spotlight until the last few days, and has made limited comments.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »

Yes it's time for T H O M A S     H A R D I M A N

He is really the only tolerable choice.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »

It's really amazing that Trump didn't pick Hardiman, in retrospect. Hardiman would've probably sailed right through.

Because Hardiman might be a "squish," as the Federalist Society's old guard would call them. Guys like Kavanaugh are Gorsuch are true believers who they know won't grow a conscious on the bench.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »

And it's neck and neck in the dumbest post contest. David B. ahead by a nose! Now Reaganfan slouching ahead! Now neck and neck!!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »

But it's Badger down the outside charging down the wing for the winning......

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:36 AM »

But it's Badger down the outside charging down the wing for the winning......

...and Meclazine limping in an hour later in the "has a point Olympics"! Womp womp.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:26 AM »

*shrug* It's corroboration, the same way Jim Comey wrote down notes from his meetings with Donald Trump in real time so he couldn't be credibly accused of fabricating things later. It may not strike you as intuitive but clearly the American legal system considers it noteworthy.
Well, I'll believe it if he's ever convicted. The timing is suspect though. Almost looks as if this is another tryhard Democratic attempt to desperately make sure Trump can't govern. You know, like the Russia nothingburger.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:24 AM »

Well, I'll believe it if he's ever convicted. The timing is suspect though. Almost looks as if this is another tryhard Democratic attempt to desperately make sure Trump can't govern. You know, like the Russia nothingburger.

Lots of sexual assault perpetrators are never convicted.  The accuser has passed a polygraph, and she has evidence of talking about this with a therapist long before this has happened.

I'll say this:  If Kavanaugh were a mental health counselor or a Clinical Social Worker, the evidence this victim came forth with would be enough for his fitness to be brought into question and his licensure to come under review.  And, when you think about the nature of those occupations, why should that not be?  Kavanaugh may well have lied about this affair; what does that say about  the occupation he wishes to enter into?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »

The accuser seems credible and legit, so in all likelihood the events did take place as described by her.

Normally I would be inclined to say that it occured a very, very long time ago though and that Kavanaugh was a minor and a totally different person back then and maybe he should be cut some slack etc.

However, there's also the issue of Kavanaugh's response to the accusations in the here and now and how it reflects on his character. What he didn't say is: "I can't recall that I committed any sexual assault when I was in high school. If I did something along these lines in an intoxicated state I'm deeply sorry for causing her such long-lasting distress."

Instead Kavanaugh's reaction was: I don't know "that women"! That never happened! I never attended such parties! I was never drunk in high school! (Those last two claims about parties and alcohol seems to have already been revealed as a lie by something Kavanaugh's buddy Mark Judge once wrote in a book, as I read on nbcnews.com yesterday, I think.)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:43 AM »

The fact that a woman telling a story of having been sexually assaulted equals "not one shred of evidence" for so many people here is a sad encapsulation of our society.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:16 AM »

The fact that a woman telling a story of having been sexually assaulted equals "not one shred of evidence" for so many people here is a sad encapsulation of our society.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2018, 07:37:21 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »

Sorry, is that the nothingburger as you call it that has like 17 members of Trumps Circle convicted of federal charges so far?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »

This. AND it's a well-documented story with reports that this came out years and years before the confirmation hearings became a political event.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »

I'd like to see testimony first, but overall, he is always going to be tainted by this, and he was already a flawed nominee to begin with.

It's bad enough Thomas was confirmed to the bench. Putting another justice on there who may be guilty of attempted rape is going to hurt the Supreme Court's reputation even more. The Republican Party, America, the Supreme Court - everyone (except BK) - would be better off if Republicans went with someone else.

It's been almost 30 years since the Thomas hearings, but i r c, what cabinet is accused of doing is far worse than anything Thomas ever did. Though In fairness, Thomas was a grown adult and, both ironically in tragically, chairman of the equal employment opportunity commission, when he engaged in Acts of sexual harassment on the job.

You mean "allegedly happened," right?

The claim about Thomas was also more recent, within 10 years.  There was a claim that it was a repeated actions, not a single instance.  The was no claim that the Thomas was intoxicated. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »

I'd like to see testimony first, but overall, he is always going to be tainted by this, and he was already a flawed nominee to begin with.

It's bad enough Thomas was confirmed to the bench. Putting another justice on there who may be guilty of attempted rape is going to hurt the Supreme Court's reputation even more. The Republican Party, America, the Supreme Court - everyone (except BK) - would be better off if Republicans went with someone else.

It's been almost 30 years since the Thomas hearings, but i r c, what cabinet is accused of doing is far worse than anything Thomas ever did. Though In fairness, Thomas was a grown adult and, both ironically in tragically, chairman of the equal employment opportunity commission, when he engaged in Acts of sexual harassment on the job.

The claim about Thomas was also more recent, within 10 years.  There was a claim that it was a repeated actions, not a single instance.  The was no claim that the Thomas was intoxicated. 

( insert facepalm gif)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »

( insert facepalm gif)

I had no idea that guilt by allegation was a legal principle in the state of Ohio. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2018, 09:46:14 AM »

( insert facepalm gif)

I had no idea that guilt by allegation was a legal principle in the state of Ohio. 

What! You don't think it needs to be looked into at all? There's a lot of things that start as allegations beyond what occurs in the law's presence.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2018, 10:07:20 AM »

( insert facepalm gif)

That's not what guilt by associa....

Oh whatever. There's a nice brick wall here I can better converse with.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »

Lots of sexual assault perpetrators are never convicted.  The accuser has passed a polygraph, and she has evidence of talking about this with a therapist long before this has happened.

I'll say this:  If Kavanaugh were a mental health counselor or a Clinical Social Worker, the evidence this victim came forth with would be enough for his fitness to be brought into question and his licensure to come under review.  And, when you think about the nature of those occupations, why should that not be?  Kavanaugh may well have lied about this affair; what does that say about  the occupation he wishes to enter into?

If this were the top salesman in a car dealership and such became known... the dealership would likely fire him.

Kavanaugh was not well vetted, and such can happen when one puts ideology over character or defines ideology as character.

He has not done well to quiet the concerns that many of us might have of his character. For high elected, appointed, or employed office (such as general- or admiral-rank military officer), character matters greatly. Bret Kavanaugh cannot blame the liquor (even if it is 'only' mass-market beer). He cannot blame a sexually-charged culture. I lived during that time and I would have never thought of doing anything of the sort. I would have never thought "she is black, so she is a slut, and she wants it", which of course would be at the least unfashionable in my youth circle. Having sex with a black girl would have been fine in my circle, but it had better be 100% consensual.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies