Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Author Topic: Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school  (Read 41571 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: September 17, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »

FF

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »

FF

Oof, somebody get the Senate some ice for that sick burn!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »

Maybe this will turn out to the be the "Duke Lacrosse" case of the #MeToo movement.

(That is, assuming that CBF's allegations will continue to fail under increased scrutiny).

? Nothing has been disproven in her testimony yet. Im pretty sure you just think that they dont hold up.

Under increased scrutiny, the inconsistences in her allegations,  the lack of evidence to support her allegations, and her possible motives in wanting to discredit Kavanaugh are all becoming more widely known.

Ok,let me get this straight, you think that, because her parents had a case with Brett's mother, that she would want to disqualify Brett for some reason? And she did this in advance, starting in 2012?

This is the only way I can describe that idea:

BK wasn't named in 2012.  He was retroactively named in 2018. 

I can't make a judgment as to what is likely and/or probable to have happened because I do not know the specific personalities or circumstances involved.  However, if Martha Kavanaugh is the judge who foreclosed on Ford's parents' home then that very clearly could inject additional bias to Ford's motives.  Given no evidence to corroborate Ford's testimony, that's an angle that cannot be discounted. 
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #578 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »

I don't think it right to tar and feather someone for something that they did of this genre when age 17, decades later. The problem is a matter of Kavanaugh's candor now however. And the rule of evidence here should be more likely than not, not beyond a reasonable doubt. It seems that if this nomination moves forward (because K claims it is all a tissue of lies), then it looks like we will have full fledged hearings on this under oath (because the accuser's lawyer says that she is ready and willing to do that). I think that is essential at this point. Anita Hill all over again. It should be great for TV ratings. I suspect the odds are more than insignificant that the nomination will be withdrawn. We shall see.
If his nomination is rescinded, the GOP will get crucified at the polls by the base.

Once again.. Why? If the nomination is rescinded, Trump will nominate another conservative and they will be motivated to go and vote so that person can be confirmed. I see no reason whatsoever that the GOP will be “crucified” if Kavanaugh’s nomination is withdrawn.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #579 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »

Ford has contributed to Democratic candidates, though not a large amount, and her parent's appeared before Kavanaugh's mother, who is also a judge(in the mid-1990's).  Either or both of these things could make Ford biased.

It doesn't mean that any of these people are biased, or that any are lying, but it does lower the value of their direct statements.

Yes, it lowers the value of her direct statement about being sexually assaulted by a very small amount, to an extent not even worth bothering with if not grasping at straws.

It may be a lot more than that. 

I would not take the position that because someone says something happened 35 years ago, it happened.  I would not take the position that because someone did not occur 35 years ago, that it occurred. 

We also have a problem that the notes from 2012 give a different account than the current one; maybe that can be explained. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #580 on: September 17, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »

Ford has contributed to Democratic candidates, though not a large amount, and her parent's appeared before Kavanaugh's mother, who is also a judge(in the mid-1990's).  Either or both of these things could make Ford biased.

It doesn't mean that any of these people are biased, or that any are lying, but it does lower the value of their direct statements.

Yes, it lowers the value of her direct statement about being sexually assaulted by a very small amount, to an extent not even worth bothering with if not grasping at straws.

I would not take the position that because someone says something happened 35 years ago, it happened.  I would not take the position that because someone did not occur 35 years ago, that it occurred. 

We also have a problem that the notes from 2012 give a different account than the current one; maybe that can be explained. 

It has been: the notes say 4 boys were involved, a discrepancy Ford says was an error on the therapist's part. Ford said there were 4 boys at the party but only 2 in the room.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #581 on: September 17, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »

Family of sociopaths.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #582 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

FF

Oof, somebody get the Senate some ice for that sick burn!
inb4 someone says this will hurt Bredesen

even though he's completely right
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #583 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »

Donald Jr must be mistaking real life for an internet forum
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #584 on: September 17, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »

It has been: the notes say 4 boys were involved, a discrepancy Ford says was an error on the therapist's part. Ford said there were 4 boys at the party but only 2 in the room.

Still, the notes from the therapist do not match what Ford is claiming.  That weakens the notes as evidence. 

Was she the only female at the party?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #585 on: September 17, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »

Donald Jr must be mistaking real life for an internet forum

You made me laugh Virginia. Thank you. I have not been laughing much lately. Smiley
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #586 on: September 17, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »

It's not normal for a therapist to write the name of the alleged attempted rapist in their notes.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #587 on: September 17, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »

Hey, don’t make fun of the mentally handicapped. Don, Jr. just has trouble showing women his affection.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #588 on: September 17, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »

It's not normal for a therapist to write the name of the alleged attempted rapist in their notes. [/size]

You might be right, but the account recorded in the notes does not match her current account.  Ford said it was a transcription error; it may be. It could be an account of a different incident. It could be a shifting story. We just don't know.

We can state that she spoke, in 1212, to her therapist, about an assault that happened when she was in high school.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #589 on: September 17, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »

good god this thread and overall controversy is a total clusterf@ck. lets just have a proper investigation and get this over with
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #590 on: September 17, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »

Rapin Brett's donors arrive to bail him out

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #591 on: September 17, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »

Donnelly has stated that there should be NO confirmation vote until this is thoroughly investigated.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #592 on: September 17, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »

IIRC there's a supreme court tradition where all justices often shake hands with each other as a show of civility.

I wonder if the female justices will refuse to shake Kavanaugh'shand if conformed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #593 on: September 17, 2018, 12:06:53 PM »

srsly?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #594 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »

Senator Roy Blunt has said they should delay the hearing.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #595 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »

Kavanaugh should withdraw.

Kethledge, Tharpur would be better choices.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #596 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »

Roy Blunt has said they should delay the hearing.

WHAT.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #597 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

Roy Blunt has said they should delay the hearing.

excellent, excellent
elcorazon

« Reply #598 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »

Kavanaugh will withdraw before most of you build your Sukkah
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #599 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »

If Roy Blunt is calling for the vote to be delayed, then it's over for Kavanaugh.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies