US Has Highest Share of Foreign-Born Since Early 20th Century
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:10:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US Has Highest Share of Foreign-Born Since Early 20th Century
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Has Highest Share of Foreign-Born Since Early 20th Century  (Read 1443 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »

U.S. Has Highest Share of Foreign-Born Since 1910, With More Coming From Asia

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »

Great news!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »

Nah, immigration is an unalloyed positive, so this is great news, not indifferent news.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

I don't really see a reason to celebrate or groan. It's just what it is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »

Nah, immigration is an unalloyed positive, so this is great news, not indifferent news.

Why is this great news for American citizens?

Why is immigration an unalloyed positive for people who are American citizens?

When I view something as an unalloyed positive, I have specific reasons for doing so, and I really want to hear yours.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2018, 01:29:40 PM by Tintrlvr »

When I view something as an unalloyed positive, I have specific reasons for doing so, and I really want to hear yours.

Immigrants (in peacetime) are generally the most able, dynamic, innovative, risk-taking and creative people from the society from which they come. This is true by the mere fact of their being willing to uproot themselves from an established existence with family and friendship support networks to take a risk on a new and unfamiliar society. For those of us who live here already, having those people come to us can only be a positive, especially since we who stay in the same society where we were born are only, on average, average in ability, dynamism, innovation, risk-taking and creativity. Societies with more immigrants are therefore unequivocally better than those with few.

Edit: I will grant you that it is not particularly great news for India, China, Mexico, etc. I obviously speak only from an American perspective.
mencken
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »

Immigrants (in peacetime) are generally the most able, dynamic, innovative, risk-taking and creative people from the society from which they come. This is true by the mere fact of their being willing to uproot themselves from an established existence with family and friendship support networks to take a risk on a new and unfamiliar society. For those of us who live here already, having those people come to us can only be a positive, especially since we who stay in the same society where we were born are only, on average, average in ability, dynamism, innovation, risk-taking and creativity. Societies with more immigrants are therefore unequivocally better than those with few.

Edit: I will grant you that it is not particularly great news for India, China, Mexico, etc. I obviously speak only from an American perspective.

Do you have statistics or just platitudes?
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

The high levels of educational attainment and family income among Indian Americans is an example of this. US immigration law generally selects for highly educated, affluent, and white-collar immigrants from Asia; this is particularly true for Indian immigrants.
mencken
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »

The high levels of educational attainment and family income among Indian Americans is an example of this. US immigration law generally selects for highly educated, affluent, and white-collar immigrants from Asia; this is particularly true for Indian immigrants.

I don't think most foreign-born Americans are from India; the article itself said only 41% of the most recent arrivals came from Asia, and that number has been rising.

And that is great that American immigration laws have a meritocratic basis for immigrants from Asia. You know what would be a great idea? Enforcing those some immigration laws that select for "highly educated, affluent, white-collar immigrants" for Latin America and MENA.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »

We need it, US population growth is near-zero without immigration.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »

No feelings on the matter. People should be judged by what they do, not where they're from.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »

No feelings on the matter. People should be judged by what they do, not where they're from.

This.

That being said I think it’s a positive that more educated, presumably skilled immigrants are arriving than before.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »

Since high levels of immigration reduce crime and increase economic growth, this is great news.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »

Personally, I take this as a sign that we should reduce (but certainly not eliminate) immigration for a while. For me, the issue is primarily that higher levels of immigration have historically given rise to right-wing nativist movements and made it more difficult to pass progressive legislation. Also, we can only assimilate so many people at once.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

I am happy for them.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Natural population growth in the US has been declining steadily and maybe even accelerating recently.
Baby boomers are entering their retirement years.  We seem likely to continue to have high deficits.  Adding lots of population is about the only way to keep the wheels under the bus.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2018, 12:18:53 PM by Barraco Clintez »

The US population has increased 17 million this decade.  The population over 65 has increased 10.6 million.  The population under 65 has increased 6.4 million.

Baby Boom--------->Retirement Boom--------->Death Boom
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies