Veganism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:28:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Veganism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Veganism  (Read 7729 times)
Everett
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2005, 06:30:19 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2005, 06:33:43 PM by Everett »

Pork eating is worse than veganism by great distances.
I agree. I don't condemn people who eat pork, but I don't eat it myself, as it's considered unclean.

As for veganism, as long as no-one forces it upon me, I don't personally mind vegans. I don't think vegans are delusional or doing the "wrong" thing, and if they don't want to use animal products at all and are willing to leave others alone about it, more power to them. I'm a vegetarian myself (it helps me avoid eating unclean foods), though I certainly wouldn't expect others to follow suit.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2005, 06:32:32 PM »

As long as they aren't forcing me away from my brisket, I have no problem with their eating habits. Pork eating is worse than veganism by great distances.

No, pork is perhaps one of the best meats out there! I'd recommend you to a BLT! Awesome.

You'd recommend him to a BLT?

That sounds like the ultimate Jewish nightmare - eaten alive by a BLT.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »

Human flesh, when burning and sizzling, smell like bacon.  And the taste resembles pork.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2005, 12:24:17 AM »

I agree. I don't condemn people who eat pork, but I don't eat it myself, as it's considered unclean.

As for veganism, as long as no-one forces it upon me, I don't personally mind vegans. I don't think vegans are delusional or doing the "wrong" thing, and if they don't want to use animal products at all and are willing to leave others alone about it, more power to them. I'm a vegetarian myself (it helps me avoid eating unclean foods), though I certainly wouldn't expect others to follow suit.

Pork is not "unclean", what silliness. I consider chicken to be quite a bit more risky to eat then pork. Pork these days is one of the premium meats. They even say you can cook it medium well. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2005, 12:44:03 AM »

It is actually more or less a myth that pork is that unclean.  The only time that pigs bathe in mud or feces is when they do not have enough water, and American pork stock almost always does.  That's rarely a problem outside the Middle East.  Other meat animals are equally dirty in realty.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2005, 06:25:47 AM »

I don't mind vegans, people should be free to eat or not eat what they like. I do know a girl who collapsed due to malnutrition after eating nothing but cabbage leaves, but I have an inkling this is more down to her misunderstanding the concept of veganism, than any sort of general eating habits.

What does get to me is the moralising sort of vegan who thinks you are the Antichrist for eating meat or egg products or whatnot and will lecture you ceaselessly about the errors of your ways, but other than that, hey, it's your choose.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2005, 10:25:04 AM »

I do know a girl who collapsed due to malnutrition after eating nothing but cabbage leaves, but I have an inkling this is more down to her misunderstanding the concept of veganism, than any sort of general eating habits.

This is an extreme of what some people suffer when they convert to vegetarianism or veganism. Anyone who decides to convert to vegetarianism or veganism needs to do some serious research on nutrition first - meat gives you certain important nutrients, and if you are giving it up you need to ensure you find non-animal based foods that also contain these nutrients and make them part of your diet. Of course, in this case the girl not only cut out the nutrients from meat but nutrients from pretty much everything else.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2005, 10:44:13 AM »

You two don't know anything about pork.  What do you mean Everett, 'it's considered unclean'?  You mean by those primitive dopes who supposedly wrote the bible?  Why should any sane modern listen to them?

Pork is one of my favorite meats, and in the US one can order it done medium, without any repercussions (I often have).

Oh and don't mind Richius, he has the anorexia of a self-hating gay man.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2005, 01:34:42 PM »

Don't eat any mammal you wouldn't happily drink the milk of is my advice. (That leaves sheep, goats and cows - and I suppose reindeer.)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2005, 01:36:34 PM »

Don't eat any mammal you wouldn't happily drink the milk of is my advice. (That leaves sheep, goats and cows - and I suppose reindeer.)

Does this mean humans are included? Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2005, 01:42:21 PM »

Does this mean humans are included? Tongue
No. Except for you, my friend.

Back on topic. Veganism.

I recently read, and I swear that this is true, a letter in one of these Dear Abby sections specially for teenagers specially about sex and similar stuff, where one girl wrote, yeah well, my best friend is a vegan now, and I'm sort of wondering - are vegans allowed to swallow when they give head?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2005, 05:20:15 PM »

You two don't know anything about pork.  What do you mean Everett, 'it's considered unclean'?  You mean by those primitive dopes who supposedly wrote the bible?  Why should any sane modern listen to them?

Pork is one of my favorite meats, and in the US one can order it done medium, without any repercussions (I often have).

Hey, you're the one who quite evidently doesn't know what the bloody hell he's preaching about. In fact, I have had pork before, in many different forms, and it was disgusting every single time. I suppose that you're such a spoiled brat that you absolutely have to chime in your slovenly opinions every time someone makes a comment that isn't even directed towards you? You're the intolerant one here, preaching about how people who aren't even affecting your carnivorous, hedonistic lifestyle are "wrong" and "primitive dopes". Roll Eyes
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2005, 11:49:37 PM »

Or one of a sexy Japanese girl. Like the ones in my sig... THEY WIIIILLL RETUUUURRRRNNN!!!! (someday, not anytime soon though)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2005, 12:16:03 AM »

Vegans are, well, weird, on the whole.  I guess it's your life, and you can lead it how you want, but the unfortunate part of veganism is that 99% of them seem to be pretentious asses who are holier than thou because they feel superior having not supported the death of helpless animals.

Of course, I always note that there are tons of non-human animals that kill other animals for food, and that if this was not the case, then overpopulation would quickly become a major problem, and I also note that all of the plants that they eat are also alive, and that every single thing was alive before you killed it in preparation to eat it, but they never seem to care about these points.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »

Or one of a sexy Japanese girl. Like the ones in my sig... THEY WIIIILLL RETUUUURRRRNNN!!!! (someday, not anytime soon though)

That sword in your sig?  I'll use it to slash any Japanese girl that dares enter the forum signature zone.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »

Err, I'm not too good to shop at Wal-mart, but everything I get from there breaks in the first week or two, so I stopped going Tongue

What's this?  Stuff from walmart falls breaks after a week or two?  Are you buying an ottoman at walmart?  I should hope not!  You should buy an ottoman at a furniture store.  Are you buying your opaline gourami there?  Does it surprise you that this specimen contaminates your aquarium and gives every specimen you care for the bacterium Ichthyophtherius multifilius so that they all die slowly with white spots?  Of course you shouldn't buy live pets at walmart;  they're not cared for very well at Walmart.  My ideal walmart would either stop stocking tropical fish, or hire professionals to care for them properly (the former is preferable).  You should buy them from a respectable outlet where they have been properly cared for.  But you can buy fish food there.  Wardley tropical flakes are Wardley tropical flakes, and it doesn't matter to your fish whether you got the flakes for a $1.87 at walmart or for $4.50 at the pet store.

I buy lettuce at walmart, because iceberg lettuce tastes like iceberg lettuce; boston lettuce tastes like boston lettuce, and romaine lettuce tastes like romaine lettuce whether I pay 79 cents a head or a buck and a half a head.  Do I buy soy sauce at Walmart?  of course not since all they stock is Kikoman, which is nasty, and other even nastier brands.  I go to the Asian store where I can buy Pearl River Bridge Superior Soy Sauce, which is tasty.  Do I buy whitefish at Walmart?  Damn straight, because I'm not that picky about whitefish, and can get 5 pounds at my local walmart for 7 dollars.  Do I buy Tou Fu at walmart?  No.  Because all they stock is Nasoya and Azumaya japanese Tou Fu.  I like Wu Chong brand Tou Fu.  (For the most part, chinese stuff is cheaply made and inferior to stuff made in OECD countries like Japan and the USA.  But, oddly, Tou Fu is one of the things the chinese do right; and the american and japanese brands of Tou Fu give me gas.)  Others, however, may be very picky about their whitefish and not so picky about their Tou Fu, so they may buy the latter at Walmart and the former elsewhere.  Fine.  Do I buy shower curtains at walmart?  Hell no.  Their cheapest shower curtain is $1.53, and I can get a one-dollar shower curtain at the Dollar Tree.  For something like a shower curtain, which you will replace every 3 months if you're a bit of a fungiphobe, you may as well buy the cheapest one you can find, which isn't at Walmart.

You think walmart stuff is crappy?  No one twists your arm to buy that Britney Spears CD.  You chose that crappy music.  It would have been just as easy for you to reach over and select the Vivaldi.  But you bought the crappy Spears CD because you chose to, not because Walmart doesn't stock any decent music.  You think walmart stuff falls apart?  No one twists your arm and says get the off-brand condoms instead of the Trojans.  Walmart stocks several respectable brands, as well as the really cheap ones that you should just go down to the free clinic and get if you don't care whether they break.  I'm just saying that if you choose to use respectable condoms like Trojans or Durex Ultra-Shiek, why not pay 5 dollars instead of 8 dollars?  And I have a hard time believing the Britney Spears CD from Walmart is any more shoddily made than the Britney Spears CD from Rasputin music.  It sounds just as bad whether you paid ten dollars for it or nineteen dollars for it.  And anyway, if your Britney Spears CD spontaneously falls apart, the gods are probably doing you a favor.

Fisher Price Sing-a-Long is Fisher-Price Sing-a-Long whether you got it for 6 dollars at Walmart or for seventeen dollars at Toys 'R' Us.  And Athenos hummus is Athenos hummus whether you paid $3.84 for it at walmart or paid $5 for it at Safeway.  Of course, Walmart also has Tribe hummus.  But maybe you're really picky about your hummus, and don't want either Athenos or Tribe.  Well, so you buy your hummus at the Middle East Store on 23rd avenue.  Fine.  But that doesn't preclude your purchase of Irish Spring deoderant soap at walmart for $3.97 per 8-pack instead of for 6 dollars at the Middle East Store.  After all, Irish Spring is Irish Spring, whether you bought it from Walmart, The Middle East Store, or at the Westin Inn Bermuda Resort giftshop&convenience, where it costs $11.50.  A bottle of Rosemount Merlot is a bottle of Rosemount Merlot, whether it came from Walmart for 6 dollars or from a specialty shop for 9 dollars.

I'm quite sure a van heusen shirt from walmart would not break any faster than a van heusen shirt from Macy's.  But walmart doesn't stock van heusen shirts.  Sure, if you're buying clothing fashions from Walmart you probably have poor taste.  But that's only a matter of your poor taste, and doesn't reflect poorly on walmart.  You should buy things like clothing, furniture, and linens elsewhere.  And by elsewhere I don't mean Target or Kmart.  I can tell you that the items I purchase at Walmart are the same brand items I can buy elsewhere, but choose not to because I would rather save some of that money for other things.  What I do not buy at Walmart is an Ottoman, or an opaline gourami, or a bicycle, or a queen-size mattress.  Those are durable goods and are worth spending a little extra on.  If you're buying your "durable" goods at Walmart and your CDs, condoms, wine, soap, and ground pork elsewhere, then you pretty much have selected the worst of all possible worlds and I respectfully label you a dumbass.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

What's "Boston Lettuce"?

Good post, BTW.

And I wish you could buy wine at WalMart here...stupid blue laws...
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2005, 01:52:49 PM by General CheeseWhiz »

Really, I'm sorry man.  Didn't mean for you to take it personally.  My family, (I'm only 14, can't buy anything myself really,) bought some toys and clothes there.  They fell apart, same with a lamp we bought there.  Do you work at Wal-mart?  Because I really, really didn't mean to insult you.  It's just most of the stuff I've ever bought from there breaks or falls apart.

But really man, you should chill a little bit.  If you re-read my post you can see I didn't mean to insult anyone, (unlike you calling me a "dumb___," even though it doesn't apply to me, since I don't do what you said.)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2005, 01:53:23 PM »

Thanks.

sorry cheesewhiz, that might have been considered rude in some circles.  no, don't work at walmart.  big fan of the walmart shopping experience though, and formerly owned a hefty chunk of WMT stock.  Sold it though for a tidy, but not large, profit recently.  I'm not sure what you're buying at walmart, but nothing I buy there falls apart before I can eat it or drink it or wrap it around my son's ass or feed it to my fishes or wash my body with it.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

Glad to hear you weren't meaning to be rude Smiley

Maybe I've got a bad Wal-mart *shrugs*
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2005, 03:32:52 PM by opebo »

Now that I have read a couple of your in-depth posts on how-to-shop-at-WalMart, I suppose I can understand your fondness for the place better, angus.  We simply have such different lifestyles that I couldn't really imagine what you were doing in there.  I pretty much buy only 3 things - 1) companionship services, of course Wink,  2) meals in restaurants, and 3) unfortunate necessities like renting minimal rooms and buying airline tickets.

I basically never buy food ingredients or beverages.  Come to think of it when I'm in the US I do drink various name brand sodas and use certain toiletries from WalMart, because I take them from the parents voluminous larder.  Here in Thailand I just stop by 7-11 every night before bed to buy a couple sodas, nuts, and yoghurt.  It isn't practical to buy a lot of stuff when you live in a hotel room.

To me your lifestyle, while no doubt very pleasant, sounds very bound by things and location, a household full of stuff, a kitchen full of foods, wife, kids, and just imagine when you move!  I like to travel light.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2005, 03:36:55 PM »

Err, I'm not too good to shop at Wal-mart, but everything I get from there breaks in the first week or two, so I stopped going Tongue

The key, CheeseWhiz, to buying things at WalMart that might break - like cheap consumer electronics such as TVs and DVD players - is to simply bring it back before the 90 day return is up, and then buy another one at another WalMart.  This way you get them free.  When you leave the country, just return the last one and you get your money back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies