Which city in Iowa would you most want to live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:22:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which city in Iowa would you most want to live in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which city in Iowa would you most want to live in?
Des Moines

Iowa City

Cedar Rapids

Waterloo

Dubuque

Davenport

Sioux City

Ames

Orange City (LOL)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Which city in Iowa would you most want to live in?  (Read 1310 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »

Iowa City is home to one of my favorite bookstores in the entire country, and in general has a great vibe. The cost of living is affordable and the local economy seems as strong as it gets in the area.

Proximity to commercial air travel is important, but it's only half an hour from Iowa City to the Cedar Rapids airport. It's also close enough to Chicago that weekend trips are feasible.

It might be the only place in Iowa where I would choose to live. I would have a rough time with the lack of nearby hiking, however. The Corn Belt isn't a great place to be if you like mountains and large tracts of forest.

NE Iowa does have actually terrain and forests and can actually be quite steep along the Mississippi especially across from where the Wisconsin River enters.  It's called Pike's Peak, but not exactly the rival of the one in Colorado.  The caves down in Maquoketa are popular too.  Maybe too popular now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 12:03:53 AM »

One thing about Iowa that virtually everyone from the Midwest agrees on: Their highway rest stops are the best. Always clean, day by day, and quite modern and up to date. Gross things in the bathroom don't stay there for long and plumping problems get fixed so fast they're practically unheard of. Even the water from the fountains tastes good!

Unlike Minnesota whose highway rest stops were basically all built in the 60s and then left to sit there since then without any upgrades and maybe annual maintenance if that. It doesn't help that Minnesota law requires that all rest stop workers be at least 55 years old. I'm sure the law is intended to help fight senior unemployment by basically reserving jobs for them, but the end result is they are all maintained by lazy olds.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »

One thing about Iowa that virtually everyone from the Midwest agrees on: Their highway rest stops are the best. Always clean, day by day, and quite modern and up to date. Gross things in the bathroom don't stay there for long and plumping problems get fixed so fast they're practically unheard of. Even the water from the fountains tastes good!

Unlike Minnesota whose highway rest stops were basically all built in the 60s and then left to sit there since then without any upgrades and maybe annual maintenance if that. It doesn't help that Minnesota law requires that all rest stop workers be at least 55 years old. I'm sure the law is intended to help fight senior unemployment by basically reserving jobs for them, but the end result is they are all maintained by lazy olds.

I don't think I've ever been in an Iowa rest stop.  I guess because once I'm there, I'm usually taking short trips along secondary roads from kin to kin.  The worst state for rest areas, at least until Obama was Mississippi, where many rest areas didn't even have bathrooms, really.  Apparently, they spent some of their recession stimulus money on adding restrooms to all their rest areas, made a big deal about it will signage and stuff.  So, Obama brought indoor plumbing to Mississippi rest stops.  Thanks Obama!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 01:01:23 AM »

He's the reason Johnson County was the only county in Iowa to swing D. Smiley
ACTUALLY, Dallas county swung D too. You uneducated barbarian.

Yikes. I might need to be excommunicated now. Sad
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »

Everyone is forgetting the only logical answer, River City.

Ever sense they cleared the town on those sinful pool halls and replaced them with a wholesome marching band the town has been right nice. Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 12:11:54 PM »

Everyone is forgetting the only logical answer, River City.

Ever sense they cleared the town on those sinful pool halls and replaced them with a wholesome marching band the town has been right nice. Tongue

Well, it is a river town and it had it's heydey, but then got a little rough around the edges and they fell for this orange faced confidence man who said he could make River City Great Again, all they needed was a monorail.  Well, today, River City is just sad.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies