Former President Obama eviscerates Trump and GOP in Illinois speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former President Obama eviscerates Trump and GOP in Illinois speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Former President Obama eviscerates Trump and GOP in Illinois speech  (Read 3276 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/politics/barack-obama-illinois-midterms-speech/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

FULL SPEECH:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?451181-1/president-obama-president-trump-capitalizing-peoples-resentments
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »

He didn't really go after Trump per say. But he let the GOP have it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »

He didn't really go after Trump per say. But he let the GOP have it.
No, he went after Trump. He just made note that Trump is "a symptom, not the cause".
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »

Obama has such a way with words, many voters miss his decency.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »

Yaaaaas atta boy BO way to take care of business at my alma mater!
new_patomic

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »

I didn't get a ticket so I just watched it near by instead.

Good speech.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »

There will never be a time where former presidents Obama and Trump will be cordial with one another.  It was never going to be that way, even before this speech though.  Trump sealed that deal long ago.

Likewise, no other former president will ever be friendly with Donald Trump, whether he's in or out of the White House.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »

Boehner and Ryan evicscerated him for overspending on social programs and no entitlement reform. The GOP congress failed to address the deficit with its unaffordable tax cuts, recycled from the Dubya administration. That's why Pelosi and Schumer will be leaders and evicserate the Legislature fillibuster to enact entitlement reform and repeal tax cuts.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

I really won't believe Obama when he talks about what is and isn't conservative. 
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »

I really won't believe Obama when he talks about what is and isn't conservative. 

As Obama himself said, he's basically an 80s moderate Republican.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »

You guys never let up don't you?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »

That's fair. However, do you do the same with Trump? If not, then.....yeah.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »

There will never be a time where former presidents Obama and Trump will be cordial with one another.  It was never going to be that way, even before this speech though.  Trump sealed that deal long ago.

Likewise, no other former president will ever be friendly with Donald Trump, whether he's in or out of the White House.

Part of the problem is that the POTUS/Ex-POTUS club is very tiny, but its members tend to forge very good relationships based on how unique their shared experience is.

If Obama and Trump are never cordial with one another, the other ex-POTI are going to side with Obama because he's their bro.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »

Conservatives on Twitter now whining that Obama insulted Trump voters by implying they are paranoid and hateful. This from the party that tried to make it legal to run over protesters, where the President's son implies that Trump critics aren't "even people", ect.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »

Remember when Obama refused to go public with evidence of Russian interference in the election to help Trump because it would make him look partisan? What a narcissistic fool.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »

Yucky, I dislike college campus stuff, it's just too liberal and elite. I like being immersed with a good number of my good ol' boy conservatives, they are brethren to me too. The whole Obama speech and crowd reeked of liberal elitism. I like Obama, but I'm meh with him when he does stuff like this. I love it when he goes into inner cities and countrysides to spread his message instead. Nevertheless, I get that rallying this vote is important and I appreciate that (heck, if we did not have Darthmouth in NH, Ayotte would have slid by) so by all means do it anyways.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »

It's not like it's wrong, he did say that.

And given the suggestions of Gingrich/Heritage and the end result of Obamacare, the comparison seems rather apt.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 06:05:39 PM »

Yucky, I dislike college campus stuff, it's just too liberal and elite. I like being immersed with a good number of my good ol' boy conservatives, they are brethren to me too. The whole Obama speech and crowd reeked of liberal elitism. I like Obama, but I'm meh with him when he does stuff like this. I love it when he goes into inner cities and countrysides to spread his message instead. Nevertheless, I get that rallying this vote is important and I appreciate that (heck, if we did not have Darthmouth in NH, Ayotte would have slid by) so by all means do it anyways.

If being a decent person and arguing that character matters makes one a liberal elite, then consider me the most liberal and most elitist of them all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »

Given Trump's reaction, I hope he gets a good deal more help with his insomnia from Obama. If nothing else it'll cut back on his nonsensical late-night tweets.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »

Obama has always been able to trigger Trump like no other. Trump's entire Presidency is basically about erasing Obama's legacy whether it makes sense to do so or not. All part of being a pathetic deranged man child.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »

Elitism has nothing to do with having money or higher education, it's all about thinking you are better than someone else because of status. Plenty of poor people think they are better than rich people because they feel as if struggling to pay the bills working an hourly job makes them more honorable. With that said demanding decency is not elitist, unless you believe that the working class is somehow a bunch of people without morals or standards.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »

It's not like it's wrong, he did say that.

And given the suggestions of Gingrich/Heritage and the end result of Obamacare, the comparison seems rather apt.
Give it up.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »

In the US college enrollment rates after HS are at 70%. University students aren't some tiny elite.
new_patomic

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »

I wonder how a crowd can reek of liberal elitism.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »

I miss this man so much. It almost brings a tear to my eye. I'm sure he regrets not doing more to prevent his would-be successor's rise. Ultimately though, his very existence as President caused it through no real fault of his own. He couldn't help how people would overreact to him during his eight years.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies