Homosexuality decriminalized in India!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:08:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Homosexuality decriminalized in India!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homosexuality decriminalized in India!  (Read 973 times)
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:18:05 AM »

Just breaking that the Supreme Court rules that homosexuality does not fall under Section 377.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:35 AM »

Apparently it previously carried life in prison. Good move.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:52:58 AM »

Excellent.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:38:34 AM »

I generally prefer to see homosexuality and the like handled by parliament and not by courts (less controversial) but in any case great news for India!
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »

I generally prefer to see homosexuality and the like handled by parliament and not by courts (less controversial) but in any case great news for India!
I don't believe a parliament should be able to decide what is and is not a fundamental human right. Any reactionary government (the current one, for instance) would easily be able to overturn it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »

I don't believe a parliament should be able to decide what is and is not a fundamental human right.

Yeah, fundamental rights are fundamental rights, regardless of what a majority of legislators decide...
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »

I don't believe a parliament should be able to decide what is and is not a fundamental human right. Any reactionary government (the current one, for instance) would easily be able to overturn it.

I was under the impression that those kinds of laws were the ones that are never going to be repealed even if a reactionary government comes into power, plus legalization by an elected parliament will always be more "legitimate" in the eyes of the people than legalization by unelected  judges.

Has any country that legalized homosexuality (or gay marriage) ever made it illegal again?

In any case it's great news though.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »

This was actually a constitutional issue that dated back from the colonial era. Parts of S377 has already been struck down by the courts before sodomy was. Besides, the BJP is in, you think they'd do anything?
EPG
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »

Has any country that legalized homosexuality (or gay marriage) ever made it illegal again?

Bermuda's Supreme Court legalised marriage in 2017. The government attempted to circumvent the ruling by a bill banning marriage but establishing non-marital domestic partnerships, which was enacted. Then that ban was repealed by the SC, too. The global cruise liner industry seems to have been quite important in financing the legal cases.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »

I was under the impression that those kinds of laws were the ones that are never going to be repealed even if a reactionary government comes into power, plus legalization by an elected parliament will always be more "legitimate" in the eyes of the people than legalization by unelected  judges.

In any case it's great news though.

The USSR decriminalised homosexuality under Lenin, then criminalised it again under Stalin. After Stalin died, the laws remained on the books but weren't enforced; it was finally redecriminlised by Yeltsin in the 90's. And of course, now "promoting" homosexuality has been banned again by Putin.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »

This leaves Nigeria as the most populated country that has laws against homosexuality, even resulting in a death sentence in some states. Hopefully more countries will follow India’s lead in liberalizing antiquated laws and practices.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies