What is the most a candidate can get without any electoral votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:12:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  What is the most a candidate can get without any electoral votes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most a candidate can get without any electoral votes  (Read 609 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

I feel like Perot's 19 percent is pretty close to the tip a person can get with no electoral votes. After all, he almost won one from Maine.

Don't worry about moving this if you think it should be in a different section of the forum
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »

Well, a few more points on top of his 60.8% and FDR may have clinched all 531 electoral votes available in 1936. He justed needed to win Vermont and Maine in addition. He lost both by a fair but not landslide margin. Reagan just fell short of Minnesota by a few thousand votes in 1984, but there is no way he could have won DC.

In a head-to-head match, it's politically impossible today because there won't be 538-0 sweep. America is far too polarized. Even 400 is a really tough call in our time. With a third-party candidate, it depends on whether his/her voter base in concentrated in a region or more broadly across the nation. Strom Thurmond only got 2.5% of the vote nationwide in 1948, but 39 electoral votes. All of them were from the South, and in other parts of the country, he was in low single digits or not even on the ballot. Progressive Henry Wallace got about the same number of raw votes, but was far from winning any state and ended up with no electoral votes. That means the question can't be answered with a number or percentage.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2018, 01:50:33 PM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

Well Perot's 19% is the most anyone has gotten without winning any electoral votes, right? So I guess that answers your question. Taft '12 got 23% of the vote and won two states (though neither by very much).
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »

I mean, theoretically, 49.9%.

Realistically, I would put that number at about 21-27%.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »

Well Perot's 19% is the most anyone has gotten without winning any electoral votes, right? So I guess that answers your question. Taft '12 got 23% of the vote and won two states (though neither by very much).

It may answer the question to most, but in reality there is a chance that you can get a little bit higher without winning one, like low 20's
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »

I've run simulations in President Elect '88 where a candidate loses every state while winning ~37%-38% of the popular vote. IDK how realistic it is but judging by FDR '36, McGovern '72, and Mondale '84 went, it's theoretically possible, though it'd have to be a Democratic landslide because of DC.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »

I've run simulations in President Elect '88 where a candidate loses every state while winning ~37%-38% of the popular vote. IDK how realistic it is but judging by FDR '36, McGovern '72, and Mondale '84 went, it's theoretically possible, though it'd have to be a Democratic landslide because of DC.

I guess that is decently realistic. Especially Nixon 1972 and FDR 1936, Reagan 1984 not so much as that would require Reagan to probably get nearly 70 percent of the vote
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies