Why is Kavanaugh so unpopular?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:03:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is Kavanaugh so unpopular?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why is Kavanaugh so unpopular?  (Read 7687 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »

Why exactly is Brett Kavanaugh so unpopular? I didn’t see this with most other nominees like Garland and Gorsuch. What exactly is the issue with Kavanaugh?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »

He's a right wing conservative on a court that's got enough of them.

His ideology is also very transparent - it's very clear how this guy's going to vote in every case.

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »

Maybe the fact that he's significantly more conservative than the American public as a whole?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »

Because no one likes Republican policies no matter how much you try to shove it down our throats. You are in power because of gerrymandering and voter suppression.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/father-parkland-victim-kavanaugh-shake-hand-supreme-court/story?id=57598458&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_hero_headlines_bsq_hed

He's also a major douche.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »

Republican power these days is based on a combination of gerrymandering, Senate malapportionment, voter suppression, the Electoral College, and Russian hacking. Even I admit that.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

1. Republicans are ramming his confirmation through without as much information as has been given for previous nominees (including HIS EMAILS from the Bush administration)

2. The poor precedent the GOP has set that going forward, no president will be able to confirm a SCOTUS justice unless his party also controls the Senate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »

Because he is the second appointment within two years by an unpopular President that lost the popular vote, when he should only have been the first appointment since Gorsuch's nomination should have been Obama's. But even then, the court is losing a swing-vote and gaining a reactionary that will cement a conservative majority for possible decades. All based on an untrue assumption that Trump and the GOP has that since they won the electoral college in 2016, and have the barest possible majority in the Senate, that their will reflects America at large, when it blatantly doesn't!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »

He will make a terrible justice. He's no moderate and slightly to the left of Clarence Thomas:

Screw every pathetic Democrat that votes for him
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »

Because he is the second appointment within two years by an unpopular President that lost the popular vote, when he should only have been the first appointment since Gorsuch's nomination should have been Obama's. But even then, the court is losing a swing-vote and gaining a reactionary that will cement a conservative majority for possible decades. All based on an untrue assumption that Trump and the GOP has that since they won the electoral college in 2016, and have the barest possible majority in the Senate, that their will reflects America at large, when it blatantly doesn't!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »

He will make a terrible justice. He's no moderate and slightly to the left of Clarence Thomas:

This method is really not ideal for measuring the relative ideology of an appointee.

That said, he’s unpopular because “ha suck it lefties we won get over it” is not a governing strategy or judicial philosophy that lends itself well to those outside the tribe
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:02:51 PM »

Because he was appointed by Donald Trump.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »

Because he wants to kill democracy, and he wants to deny people their fundamental human rights.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »

Because he wants to kill democracy, and he wants to deny people their fundamental human rights.

That’s what we’ve heard about every Republican SCOTUS nominee for the last 30 years. It’s getting old.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »

That’s what we’ve heard about every Republican SCOTUS nominee for the last 30 years. It’s getting old.

It's unfortunate that many people on here seem to think that the only good Supreme Court Justices are those who are solidly on the left side of the political spectrum.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »

This method is really not ideal for measuring the relative ideology of an appointee.

That said, he’s unpopular because “ha suck it lefties we won get over it” is not a governing strategy or judicial philosophy that lends itself well to those outside the tribe

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This guy is a nutcase
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »

Well, that's because it's true.

It's unfortunate that many people on here seem to think that the only good Supreme Court Justices are those who are solidly on the left side of the political spectrum.
Not true. Most Democrats would have been perfectly fine with Merrick Garland who was a moderate. Even, Orrin Hatch (before Garland was nominated) said that Garland was a great & qualified judge.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »

The Warren Court is the only liberal court in history if you go by combined judicial partisan scores. The Roberts court is one of the most Conservative in modern history and it routinely legislates from the bench.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This guy is a nutcase

I don’t disagree he’s a hack, I was just critiquing the 538 methodology
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »

Because he is an extreme Ideologue who will do his best to make my uterus property of the state.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »

As an alleged woman of color why would you approve of justices who consistently gut the Voting Rights Act? Effectively removing barriers that allow local governments to suppress the votes of non-white citizens.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »

Not true. Most Democrats would have been perfectly fine with Merrick Garland who was a moderate. Even, Orrin Hatch (before Garland was nominated) said that Garland was a great & qualified judge.

Yet you’re still able to post on this forum and enjoy your day to day life just like always? Doesn’t seem like much of a violation of “fundamental human rights.”
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »

I'm not saying that all Democrats on this forum would be in favor of such a move. But many on here have conducted themselves in a manner that would suggest so. And on the Kavanaugh confirmation thread, I made clear that I would have voted to confirm Garland if I were a Senator.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »

The Warren Court is the only liberal court in history if you go by combined judicial partisan scores. The Roberts court is one of the most Conservative in modern history and it routinely legislates from the bench.

I was addressing the ideological viewpoints of many on here as relating to who should be on the Court. What I meant to say is that the Court shouldn't be politicized in such a manner.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

As an alleged woman of color why would you approve of justices who consistently gut the Voting Rights Act? Effectively removing barriers that allow local governments to suppress the votes of non-white citizens.

First of all, I am a man of color, not a woman of color. I've had to clarify that on other threads. My username comes from a fictional story that I created years ago, and doesn't reflect my gender. Second, why do you say "alleged"? Yes, I am aware of how people on the Internet can give false identities, but why do you doubt me here? Just because of my opinions on this matter? It offends me that you think that all blacks have to think exactly the same way on every issue.

Thirdly, as regards to my comments relating to the Court, I was referring to the ideological preferences of many here. It's not that I object to a liberal justice. I object to how the judicial process has been made subject to partisanship and to petty political disputes. I've also made clear that my view of the Court is one in which we have moderate (preferably neutral), justices who interpret the law without giving in to the partisan calls of one side or the other. From that perspective, I think that it would be plain to see that the Voting Rights Act (to give one example), is a constitutionally-legitimate measure that seeks to enforce the provisions of the 14th and 15th Amendments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies