Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 102491 times)
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 24, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

This sort of thing is typical high school fare. Most people have said or wrote things in high school they wish they hadn't. It doesn't mean your entire life should be ruined. Next.

Not getting to be on SCOTUS means your life has been ruined? I guess all of our lives are ruined then.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1001 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »

I also find it interesting since death threats have been mentioned by numerous people on here that not a single one of them have expressed any sort of concern for the fact that Kavanaugh and his family have been receiving them as well.

Death threats the accusers receive aren't meant to garner sympathy or credit the accusations. They're invoked to explain why it's irrational and unlikely that the accusers are making up their claims. That same logic doesn't apply to any threats against Kavanaugh, which is why they aren't being brought up here.

But I guess since he's the accused he doesn't deserve anyone's concern, nor do his wife and kids, amirite?

This is pathetic.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1002 on: September 24, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »

I also find it interesting since death threats have been mentioned by numerous people on here that not a single one of them have expressed any sort of concern for the fact that Kavanaugh and his family have been receiving them as well.

Death threats the accusers receive aren't meant to garner sympathy or credit the accusations. They're invoked to explain why it's irrational and unlikely that the accusers are making up their claims. That same logic doesn't apply to any threats against Kavanaugh, which is why they aren't being brought up here.

But I guess since he's the accused he doesn't deserve anyone's concern, nor do his wife and kids, amirite?

This is pathetic.

Receiving death threats doesn't make her accusation credible, it just means there are scummy people who want to give her a scare. That is all.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1003 on: September 24, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »

Fox News Congressional reporter:

But but Mitch is a genius strategist and leader even though he lost AL-Sen, ACA repeal, etc...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1004 on: September 24, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »

Kavanaugh getting death threats does not mean he should be given on a seat on the court. Appointments should not be based on pity or entitlement.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1005 on: September 24, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »

Kavanaugh getting death threats does not mean he should be given on a seat on the court. Appointments should not be based on pity or entitlement.

I never said it should.

However accusations with no proof to back them does not mean he should be denied a seat.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1006 on: September 24, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »

This is pathetic.

Receiving death threats doesn't make her accusation credible, it just means there are scummy people who want to give her a scare. That is all.

I didn't argue that it makes the argument credible. I literally said that in my post. What I said is that it discredits a commonly used attack against the accusers. Those aren't the same thing.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1007 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »

The Swedish Chef is now giving us the soundtrack to the Kavanaugh hearings.

“Bork, deee Bork deee Bork Bork Bork Bork!0
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1008 on: September 24, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »

Avenatti is promising some major tea being poured within the next 48 hours. I hope he stays true to his word.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1009 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »

This is pathetic.

To say this is to ignore reality, imo.

Of course it gives Ford credibility. To say Ford has credibility is to say that what she is alleging is believable. It does not mean that it is necessarily truthful.

It is not a mystery to any woman in this country what will happen to them if they were to levy accusations of sexual assault against a man who holds a lot of power. Just look at what happened to Anita Hill. Your life will forever be defined by the alleged assault, you will be smeared to no end in the media, you will lose friends/family, you will face an unimaginable amount of threats, etc. There is no incentive to come forward besides justice.

To think otherwise is to say that Ford is doing this maliciously or that she is mistaken (which I find hard to believe).

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1010 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

I never said it should.

However accusations with no proof to back them does not mean he should be denied a seat.

That's rich from someone who likes to deliberately spread false false rumors about posters they don't like.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1011 on: September 24, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »

This is pathetic.

I didn't argue that it makes the argument credible. I literally said that in my post. What I said is that it discredits a commonly used attack against the accusers. Those aren't the same thing.

I misread the post, so my apologies on that.

However, I already mentioned in a previous post that people could have any number of motives for these things, even if their name is ruined (or in this case, they receive death threats).

That being said, whether she is receiving them or not (which I can agree that she shouldn't be), she has yet to provide any unbiased names or evidence that proves he was the one that did this. I agree with several other posters that she may very likely have experienced an incident similar to what she describes with someone, but until she provides some proof that puts Kavanaugh and Judge with her at this party she describes, I have no reason to label him a rapist or treat her story as a credible incident to deny him a seat on the court.

The same goes with the Ramirez claim. Until we actually hear from people who were actually at the party and saw Kavanaugh do it, rather than people who heard some things after, I have no reason to treat it as credible, especially when those who were in attendance have come out saying it didn't happen. Similar to Ford, given the drunken state Ramirez was in at the time of the incident, she may have experienced something like this at the party, which is obviously unacceptable, but she hasn't provided anything that actually suggests it was Kavanaugh besides her word and the words of those who weren't there.

If evidence somehow comes out actually putting him in those places, with those people, at the time, or someone with a firsthand account of those incidents comes forward, I'd happily agree that Kavanaugh shouldn't sit on the court. But until that happens, I see no reason he should be denied the seat and treated like someone who mistreated women. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1012 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:14 PM »

I never said it should.

Not every accusation is going to be backed up by video tape and that is really the only method of proving anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. Plenty of people who have been attacked have nothing but their own word, but it doesn't mean they are lying.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1013 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »

I don't believe he will.

I believe liberal Democrats in WV would sink him if he did, as liberal Democrats sunk conservative Democrats Dollar Bill Blakely and Waggoner Carr, both of whom lost to Republican John Tower in the 1960s.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1014 on: September 24, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »

I never said it should.

That's rich from someone who likes to deliberately spread false false rumors about posters they don't like.

Assuming you're talking about the main poster I've had issues with, I never said I genuinely thought the things I said, nor am I using it to deny them any opportunities in real life.  In fact, their posts alone would do themselves much more harm than anything I've said.

That being said, the original reason that particular claim stuck wasn't because I was the one who made it up, but because several posters came to me with that rumor (which has existed far longer than I've been on the forum), and because of their over the top reaction to a reply I once made that was pretty much similar to "go home, you're drunk", which is not an accusation that they're an alcoholic. It's really on the same level as when they say my opinions aren't valid because I'm just trying to "trigger the libs". Had they not been the first one to go down the route of personal attacks, I would not have taken so much enjoyment from poking the bear (or rather, the badger Wink)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1015 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »

I never said it should.

Not every accusation is going to be backed up by video tape and that is really the only method of proving anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. Plenty of people who have been attacked have nothing but their own word, but it doesn't mean they are lying.

I never said it had to be video tape. I'd also be willing to consider firsthand accounts from those who were actually there. Both of these events happened at parties, where other people were present and had to have seen something, or at least be able to put the accuser and the accused in the same place at the same time. As of right now, we don't even have that.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1016 on: September 24, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »

RUBIO (!!!!!!!!!) refuses to promise support for Kavanaugh:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1017 on: September 24, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »

I don't believe he will.

I believe liberal Democrats in WV would sink him if he did, as liberal Democrats sunk conservative Democrats Dollar Bill Blakely and Waggoner Carr, both of whom lost to Republican John Tower in the 1960s.

There aren't very many liberal Democrats in WV these days.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1018 on: September 24, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »

Why bother with the exclamation points? We all know he'll vote for him in the end, assuming it comes to a vote. Reminds me of when people actually thought Ron Johnson of all people might vote against Trumpcare or tax reform, lol.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1019 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »

In the end, Little Marco will do whatever Big Trump tells him to do.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1020 on: September 24, 2018, 10:19:27 PM »

This sort of thing is typical high school fare. Most people have said or wrote things in high school they wish they hadn't. It doesn't mean your entire life should be ruined. Next.

The fact that he and others consider themselves to be "alumni" of this woman suggests that he's probably FOS when he claims he was a virgin throughout high school and college. And if he's dishonest about that, it makes him less credible when he claims to be innocent of the other accusations.

If there's one thing we can be sure about high school boys it's that they would never say they'd banged someone if they really hadn't.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1021 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »

I don't believe he will.

There are enough to decide the election negatively for Manchin if he angers them too much.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1022 on: September 24, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »

I don't believe he will.

There are enough to decide the election negatively for Manchin if he angers them too much.

True. Hillary performed absolutely abysmally there in 2016, but Manchin still desperately needs those ~188k votes. But something tells me that if someone was a committed enough Democrat to vote for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, there's probably not much Manchin could do to lose them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1023 on: September 24, 2018, 10:28:56 PM »

Yes, unless he is the fifty-first vote (which he won't be, there'll be at least other Democrat voting for Kavanaugh in addition to Manchin).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1024 on: September 24, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »

The notion that he'd be better off electorally by voting for him is so f**king stupid I don't have the energy to deal with it.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies