Affirmative Action
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:30:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Affirmative Action
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Affirmative Action
Yes

In some cases but not always

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 705 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »

Discuss and give reasons.  I generally oppose it but realize it may be necessary in some cases where groups are under represented, but should be done as an absolute last resort.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »

We should repeal the portions that actually advance euro originated kids from having an edge over Asians as a group. The whole thing is really degrading poorer immigrants in favor of their white peers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »

Only on an economic basis (i.e.poor people of any race should be given a legup): otherwise you end up with absurd situations like in Malaysia. Or every caste in India trying to declare themselves as backward.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »

I don't support it on a racial basis. It's frankly insulting to minorities to lower the standard of acceptance to educational/occupational institutions in the name of "helping them". I think that it makes more sense to base AA policy on economic status, giving the truly disadvantaged a better chance than they normally would have. However, as the OP said, any kind of AA should be used as a last resort.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »

The trouble with Affirmative Action is that is essentially endorses an individualistic ideal of meritocracy, where you just have to give the talented the opportunity to rise to the top and the rest can make do.

it doesn't matter which group you are helping at the end of the day, as you are still accepting that inequality is naturable and acceptable.

Redistribution should be the priority, especially seeing it is far more helpful at providing opportunities to people from minority or lower income groups than affirmative action is.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

It achieved it's objective - a vastly expanded black middle-class. That was always going to alianate to offend a certain group of people. In hindsight it looks quite conservative when compared with demands of slavery reparations (which I support) and quotas made by several in the 1970s despite its "far-left" modern reputation.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »

It should be replaced with an income-based alternative. That could help lift a lot more people out of poverty. Under the current system, for example, there's the possibility that a well-off POC could be accepted over a poor white because of their race. It's too imprecise that way.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 06:16:27 AM »

I don't support it on a racial basis. It's frankly insulting to minorities to lower the standard of acceptance to educational/occupational institutions in the name of "helping them". I think that it makes more sense to base AA policy on economic status, giving the truly disadvantaged a better chance than they normally would have. However, as the OP said, any kind of AA should be used as a last resort.

This
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 06:23:32 AM »

Based on socio-economic status, plus experiencing a bad home life and abuse should be cases for Affirmative Action.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »

This
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »

Never. Racism is bad.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »

Most people agree with you in the real world but not on atlas
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »

This
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies