ACLU backs NRA (for 1A reasons, not 2A)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ACLU backs NRA (for 1A reasons, not 2A)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ACLU backs NRA (for 1A reasons, not 2A)  (Read 2113 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »

link-ACLU
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »

1A is more in the ACLU’s wheelhouse
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »

As much fun as it is to pile on the NRA, this is probably the right move here.

If NRA had actually done things to actually merit getting shut down by the government, the way to do that is through actual prosecution, like with RICO. Given the Butina saga, it is possible there could actually be some there there, but if so it is something that should be pursued through the legal system, with the defendant organization having the right to a fair trial, not through strong-arming from the executive branch of the NY State Government.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2018, 06:04:47 PM by Torie »

Kudos to the ACLU on this one. I am no fan of the INRA (yeah, I am even less of a fan of the IRA, although I assume it is out of business these days Tongue), and do favor more strict controls of guns, but what Cuomo is doing is outrageous and offensive here, and I would be very surprised if the courts do not agree to put on end to it.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »

If NRA had actually done things to actually merit getting shut down by the government, the way to do that is through actual prosecution, like with RICO. Given the Butina saga, it is possible there could actually be some there there, but if so it is something that should be pursued through the legal system, with the defendant organization having the right to a fair trial, not through strong-arming from the executive branch of the NY State Government.

Yep. I hate the NRA, but they are entitled to their rights, including the first amendment.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »

Yep. I hate the NRA, but they are entitled to their rights, including the first amendment.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »

Kudos to the ACLU on this one. I am no fan of the IRA, and do favor more strict controls of guns, but what Cuomo is doing is outrageous and offensive here, and I would be very surprised if the courts do not agree to put on end to it.

IRA? Lol intentional there?

But yes, I'm solid-pro-gun and I won't support the NRA because they have lost the plot (as an Englishman might put it).  But they do have 1st amendment rights.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »

Kudos to the ACLU on this one. I am no fan of the IRA, and do favor more strict controls of guns, but what Cuomo is doing is outrageous and offensive here, and I would be very surprised if the courts do not agree to put on end to it.

IRA? Lol intentional there?

But yes, I'm solid-pro-gun and I won't support the NRA because they have lost the plot (as an Englishman might put it).  But they do have 1st amendment rights.

I’d be curious to hear a critique of the NRA from a staunch 2A supporter
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »

This is why the ACLU don't deserve the hatred they get from the right. They would still defend your rights even as you curse them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »

Bad move by the ACLU. They've just left my Holiday card list.

The NRA is a terrorist organization and therefore does not deserve first amendment rights...just like Al-Qaeda or ISIS.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »

This.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »

This.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »

The First Amendment, and not the Second, protect the rest.  Free speech includes the freedom of speech for the despicable as protection against becoming defenseless,
mencken
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »

Thank goodness the people in this thread are generally more sensible that this drivel.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 07:39:45 PM »

The NRA is a terrorist organization and therefore does not deserve first amendment rights...just like Al-Qaeda or ISIS.

lmao
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »

This.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »

lmao
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »

nobody cares
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »

Thank goodness the people in this thread are generally more sensible that this drivel.

Just because we don't think the NRA should be the target of political prosecution doesn't mean we won't cheer if it dies off for unrelated reasons.
mencken
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »

Just because we don't think the NRA should be the target of political prosecution doesn't mean we won't cheer if it dies off for unrelated reasons.

"Unrelated reasons" meaning that businesses (read:banks and insurance companies) in New York state will not do business with the NRA, likely due to the strong-arm tactics of New York's state government which the ACLU is combating. Seems pretty related to me.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »

I tend to believe the ACLU is almost always on the right side of things.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 09:39:57 PM »

American Conservative League Upholders
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 06:05:42 AM »

The ACLU has stated officially that if the government ever tried to squelch Christian Protestant fundamentalism, it would stand behind the free-speech rights of Christian Protestant fundamentalists.

The NRA obviously has the right to say what it wants, even of that includes exempting people from consequences of criminal use of firearms even to the extent of murder. Freedom of expression includes the defense of absurd, unpopular, and even insane speech. It's up to us as a free people to decide what expressions we are willing to hear. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies