AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:10:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back  (Read 19348 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »

I figured Dicy would go with a placeholder, but not somebody who will only stick around four months
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »

Am I the only one seeing a potential problem with Ducey nominating McSally if she's defeated this year? Voters will have just rejected her - and then she's going to go to the Senate anyway because a bunch of elites decided it?

Yeah, that'd be pretty gross
Right?

And let's say Sinema beats McSally, Kyl resigns and then Ducey nominates McSally, and she's scheduled to be sworn in on the same day the rest of the freshman class is to be sworn in. Because Senators are sworn in alphabetically, McSally would become the senior senator, because M comes before S in the alphabet.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »

Am I the only one seeing a potential problem with Ducey nominating McSally if she's defeated this year? Voters will have just rejected her - and then she's going to go to the Senate anyway because a bunch of elites decided it?

Right?

And let's say Sinema beats McSally, Kyl resigns and then Ducey nominates McSally, and she's scheduled to be sworn in on the same day the rest of the freshman class is to be sworn in. Because Senators are sworn in alphabetically, McSally would become the senior senator, because M comes before S in the alphabet.

I'm pretty sure experience in the House decides seniority (in which case Sinema would be the senior senator, assuming both are sworn in on the same day).
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »

Right?

I'm pretty sure experience in the House decides seniority (in which case Sinema would be the senior senator, assuming both are sworn in on the same day).

That's correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seniority_in_the_United_States_Senate#Determining_length_of_seniority
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2018, 10:21:51 PM »

Why is every Democrat here so casually certain this will be a D pickup in 2020? It won't be a cakewalk R hold, but it won't be an easy D pickup, either.
Because Kelli Ward will almost certainly be the Republican nominee.

Ward just imploded in this year's race and barely cracked a quarter of the vote. Her goose is probably cooked.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »

Why is every Democrat here so casually certain this will be a D pickup in 2020? It won't be a cakewalk R hold, but it won't be an easy D pickup, either.
Because Kelli Ward will almost certainly be the Republican nominee.

Ward just imploded in this year's race and barely cracked a quarter of the vote. Her goose is probably cooked.

Good thing there's no shortage of crazy people in the AZGOP. Jan Brewer?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »

For all the people saying Stanton would be a good nominee, why him over Gallego? I get that Gallego is farther to the left than Stanton, but #centrism is incredibly overrated by Atlas. It’s clear voters care much more about “feeling good” and personality. Witness Jason Kander running as a full throttle liberal whose positions almost perfectly matched Clinton’s and almost winning anyway.

Idk, Gallego just seems like he has “more charisma” or whatever it is that those fickle swing voters care about.

The most important thing the "swing voters" care about is punishing the incumbent party for not making the United States into a utopia within a week of them taking office.

But after that, yes, shallow things like "likability", "charisma", etc. etc are what's important. Certainly nothing of substance, that's for sure.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »

For all the people saying Stanton would be a good nominee, why him over Gallego? I get that Gallego is farther to the left than Stanton, but #centrism is incredibly overrated by Atlas. It’s clear voters care much more about “feeling good” and personality. Witness Jason Kander running as a full throttle liberal whose positions almost perfectly matched Clinton’s and almost winning anyway.

Idk, Gallego just seems like he has “more charisma” or whatever it is that those fickle swing voters care about.
Because Stanton would make a better senator.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »

The most important thing the "swing voters" care about is punishing the incumbent party for not making the United States into a utopia within a week of them taking office.

But after that, yes, shallow things like "likability", "charisma", etc. etc are what's important. Certainly nothing of substance, that's for sure.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »

I dunno, I think both would be great
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »

Because Stanton would make a better senator.
Not if you give a s**t about poor people.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »

Who should be the Dem is a debate for 2020. Not for now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »

AZ, CO, NC and KS as possible seat pickups
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2018, 09:54:07 PM »

Grant woods tweeted out this article on his OWN twitter account, I think we all know what hes thinking and he wants everyone to know

https://twitter.com/GrantWoods/status/1037465890621612032
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »

Grant woods tweeted out this article on his OWN twitter account, I think we all know what hes thinking and he wants everyone to know

https://twitter.com/GrantWoods/status/1037465890621612032

So by 2021, Arizona could potentially have two "Democratic" Senators, both of whom are useless DINOs? Wonderful... Roll Eyes
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »

McSally is a mess

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »

Gallego FTW!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »

Yeah, thank God, a real Democrat.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »

Gallego (for Senate) 2020
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »

Oh thank god! Senator Gallego!
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »

GALLEGO!!!! gtfo stanton
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

Pls no
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »

Not surprised but yay.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »

It's probably going to be Garcia (D) who will appoint someone in case he dies, not Ducey ...

lmao
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies