AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 03:00:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2: Kyl be back  (Read 19360 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »

Is Cindy McCain more likely than Jon Kyl?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »

Yeah, if Cindy is appointed, there's a good chance Kavanaugh loses his confirmation battle, as Murkowski also appears to be very uncomfortable with voting for him.

Huh I haven't heard that anywhere.

She's just playing coy. She'll definitely vote yes.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »

It won’t be McSally, as Ward or Arpaio getting the nomination to replace Flake will guarantee Sinema gets the seat.

It won’t be Ward after her comments yesterday.

It won’t be Arpaio, as that would anger Latinos to vote and make Ducey more vulnerable.

Paul Babeu has baggage from the boarding school scandal. Jon Kyl is too old to come back. Jan Brewer and Matt Salmon probably done with politics for now. Rick Renzi was indicted. I don’t see one of the other current reps taking over his seat. And Ducey isn’t nominating a Democrat.

Cindy maybe?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »

Yeah, if Cindy is appointed, there's a good chance Kavanaugh loses his confirmation battle, as Murkowski also appears to be very uncomfortable with voting for him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/07/10/kavanaugh-collins-murkowski-senate-confirmation-707545

TBF the article your posting is not as recent as that tweet. Not that I think ColMurko votes Nay in the end.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

I'm hoping for Ben Quayle!
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »

B-List Twitter Pundit, former History professor, and Arizona resident Larry Schweikart says he has a source who was in on the meeting. Apparently it won't be Cindy or Meghan, nor a sitting Congressman.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

My money is on Cindy. Ducey really can’t risk alienating any wing of the party when he has a real race in November. Cindy would be seen as a consensus pick, respecting legacy and tradition (widow’s succession).
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »

B-List Twitter Pundit, former History professor, and Arizona resident Larry Schweikart says he has a source who was in on the meeting. Apparently it won't be Cindy or Meghan, nor a sitting Congressman.

Larry Schweikart is pretty nutty. He's a far righter who voted for Ann Kirkpatrick over John McCain because he hated McCain that much, lol.

Might be right about this, though. I just wanted to make clear my disdain for Schweikart. Dude's off his rockers.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »

Larry Schweikart is pretty nutty. He's a far righter who voted for Ann Kirkpatrick over John McCain because he hated McCain that much, lol.

Might be right about this, though. I just wanted to make clear my disdain for Schweikart. Dude's off his rockers.

That and his profile picture on Twitter and nicknames for politicians are really cringey and straight out of a 2011 Tea Party Facebook page. Though I've got to say, his monthly updates on voter registration numbers, which he compiles from government websites, ARE very interesting and helpful. And he wasn't all that inaccurate in his 2016 prediction.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2018, 07:50:30 PM by Webnicz »

Az Republic reports that the appointment will not happen until after services are done, which is appropriate.

Our state will go from having one of the most senior members of the senate, to having the two most junior senators in the senate after November.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »

Az Republic reports that the appointment will not happen until after services are done, which is appropriate.

Our state will go from having one of the most senior members of the senate, to having the two most junior senators in the senate after November.

Wouldn't the appointee gain a fair amount of seniority at the start of the next Congress? And wouldn't either Sinema or McSally have seniority over Hawley if he wins?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »

Murkowski's father was long a pro-lifer and she will vote along his lines on Judgeships.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »

Seems that Jon Kyl is gaining some steam in the rumor mill
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/07/10/kavanaugh-collins-murkowski-senate-confirmation-707545

TBF the article your posting is not as recent as that tweet. Not that I think ColMurko votes Nay in the end.

True.. he’s a newer article. Regardless, I believe Murkoski will vote for confirmation.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/amp/2018/08/collins-murkowski-seem-to-be-preparing-to-support-kavanaugh.html

I beliebe she will too, probably:
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »

I would love it if he appoints Jeff Flake who then resigns his current senate seat and then fill that vacancy with the initial choice.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »

Cindy or McSally if she loses tomorrow.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »

According to the Arizona Republic, it’s likely to be one of these folks

Cindy McCain - Widow of John McCain
Kirk Adams - Ducey’s chief-of-staff
Barbara Barrett - Prominent Republican philantrophist and donor
John Kyl - Former US Senator and Ducey’s political mentor
Karrin Taylor Robson - Businesswoman
John Shadegg - Former Congressman & practicing lawyer
Eileen Klein - State Treasurer
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

I would love it if he appoints Jeff Flake who then resigns his current senate seat and then fill that vacancy with the initial choice.

This has happened in the past.  Kent Conrad declined to run for re-election for a Senate Seat in ND.  His fellow Democrat, Byron Dorgan, succeeded him.  Then, incumbent Senator Quentin Burdick died and ND's Governor appointed Conrad to Burdick's seat, so Conrad didn't even lose seniority.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

This has happened in the past.  Kent Conrad declined to run for re-election for a Senate Seat in ND.  His fellow Democrat, Byron Dorgan, succeeded him.  Then, incumbent Senator Quentin Burdick died and ND's Governor appointed Conrad to Burdick's seat, so Conrad didn't even lose seniority.

I thought Conrad just ran in the special?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »

I thought Conrad just ran in the special?

Actually, yes, you are correct.  That's what I get for trying to run on memory at my age.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »

I think it’ll be either Cindy or Jon Kyl
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »

Didn't McCain express a wish who should be appointed before his passing? Usually his wife Cindy should get it, if she wants to.
JG

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »

Didn't McCain express a wish who should be appointed before his passing? Usually his wife Cindy should get it, if she wants to.

538 has made the argument that Ducey might be reluctant to appoint Cindy McCain since her views on a lot of issues are unknown and they wouldn't want to take the risk to appoint someone who would go against the party's line.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »

Kirk Adams might get the nod, Cindy is too much of a wild-card.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies