Bada$$ women
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:20:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Bada$$ women
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bada$$ women  (Read 356 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:01 PM »

Since Atlas is 16-1 male, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on members of that 49.65% of the world population who are female, and who are (were) particularly bada$$.

I'll start with Irena Sendler (1910-2008).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irena_Sendler

Sendler was a Polish social worker who served in the Polish Underground during WWII in German-occupied Warsaw, and was head of the Polish Council to Aid Jews. She was instrumental in saving many people, many of them children, from the Nazi Holocaust. Arrested by the Gestapo, and enduring torture, she never revealed anything about her work or the location of the saved children.

In 1965, she was recognized by Yad Vashem as one of the Polish Righteous Among the Nations. She was made an honorary citizen of Israel in 1991. She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 and 2008. In 2007, she was honored by the Senate of Poland and, later the same year, by the US Congress.

So... what other women are bada$$es worthy of recognition? Go!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:49:11 PM »

Most of the women I think of when I think of "badass women" are people I know in real life, and I don't really feel like doxing them, so here are some others. They're kind of military-heavy, but that's more my area of knowledge than some more peaceful ways to become a badass:

Virginia Hall: Traveled across Europe during WWII to covertly recruit locals to run safehouses and help escaped POWs - despite having only one leg.

Fawzia Koofi: Afghan politician - left out to die in the sun when she was born because her family didn't want a daughter, survived several assassination attempts, now Vice President of the National Assembly.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko: Soviet sniper in World War II. Credited with 309 kills, she is one of the most prolific and successful snipers in history.

Lydia Litvyak: Soviet fighter pilot, and the first woman to achieve the rank of ace... at age 21.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies