FL-27: Hurricane Donna to hit Miami next Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:55:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-27: Hurricane Donna to hit Miami next Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: FL-27: Hurricane Donna to hit Miami next Tuesday  (Read 9234 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »

She should be triaged because she'd win easily even if she had no campaign whatsoever.
Just like Senator Roy Moore? But this is from the guy who thinks Randy Bryce is 100% DOA and will lose by 15 points.

That literally would have been true for Moore as well if he wasn't a pedophile. And you're not helping your case with the Iron Deadbeat Jailbird comparison. The fact that some people entertain the idea of Shalala losing while Bryce simultaneously wins is downright hilarious.
Much like how under no scenario could Feingold lose while Reid won...

Races don't always stay the same. WI-01 could rapidly become Safe R, or it could become a Tossup. Who knows. In FL-27, Salazar clearly has the momentum and a credible poll shows her down only 4.

As for Moore, he was only leading Jones by single digits before the allegations. Jones could have won even without them.

Also interesting you don't believe candidate quality matters in FL-27 but Bryce's flaws somehow doom him to defeat.

Uh, Moore lost by 1 point even as a pedophile. He obviously would have won if he wasn't a pedophile. Unless you're suggesting being a pedophile helped him? Or that it had no effect, which would contradict the rest of your post, as it would be perhaps the most extreme example ever of candidate quality being completely irrelevant.

Remind me again which of Shalala's problems are as bad as multiple arrests, multiple DUIs, multiple delinquent child support payments, and your own brother starring in an against you. Any Democrat would've had an uphill fight in WI-01 due to the fundamentals of the district, Jailbird's problems just took it from long shot to no shot. And yeah, maybe Shalala could underperform what you'd "expect" a Dem to win this seat by, but there's no way in hell she's anywhere near bad enough to actually lose a Clinton +20 open seat during a Dem wave year.
Polling exists, you know. Shalala or Steil could easily lose their lead.

Also, no Democrat cares about Bryce being arrested for DUI or having his brother criticize him. Democrats do care about being completely out of touch with your constituents.

Roy Moore probably wouldn't have lost without the allegations, but his win would have been narrow.

So voters in WI-01 don't care about Iron Deadbeat Jailbird's arrests, DUIs, delinquent child support payments, and getting slammed by his own brother, but voters in FL-27 care about Shalala being old and not speaking Spanish. Sounds legit.

Also, these races don't happen in a vacuum.
Shalala isn't reaching out to voters at all and is barely even running a campaign. Bryce is doing the opposite.

No, voters don't care about any of that crap about Bryce. It's like saying Dean Phillips could lose because he didn't pay healthcare to his employees according to Erik Paulsen's ads.

Also Bryce had all that baggage in the primary and he still won it easily against a credible opponent.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »

Only if you classify winning by 10-15 points as "narrow."

He only won his Supreme Court election in 2012 by like what, 2 points or so? And that was with Obama at the top of the ticket. He was a weak and controversial candidate all around. I think it's possible he would have had another narrow win, all things considered. At the very least there seems to be more reason to believe that than a 10-15 point win.

He won it by 4 points, but keep in mind many of those results Vance got in rural Alabama were not reproducible due to a) polarization since 2012 and b) the fact that it was a federal rather than a localish/statewide election. Notice despite doing 5 points worse overall and being exposed as a pedophile, Moore still got big swings in his favor from 2012 in much of rural AL.

(thanks Adam Griffin!)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »

I still don't get the logic of running a 79 year old in an open seat?

I mean I get it in states like Tennessee, or if it's an ex-congress member, but Shalala seems like the absolute worse type of candidate- she can't speak spanish, she's never ran a campaign before, and she barely won the primary.   

Besides the political article made me even more angry when I found out that her opponent isn't some moronic cretin, but actually seems like someone who A.) Could win B.) Could hold the seat for a long time.

even ros-lehtinen only won by 9 in 2016, and she was in for 30 years. If Salazar pulls off an upset, she toast in 2020.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »

It'll be hilarious if the Democrats pick up over 40 seats but still don't win this one. Especially if there's an upset in another unexpected Florida seat (like FL-15 or FL-18.)
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2018, 07:21:31 AM »

Good spot to use Hilldawg
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »

Hillary Clinton is campaigning for the sh!ttiest democrats of 2018, Shalala, Menendez, I wanna barf. I just dislike Hillary so much, she needs to go away.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2018, 09:15:47 AM »

Hillary Clinton is campaigning for the sh!ttiest democrats of 2018, Shalala, Menendez, I wanna barf. I just dislike Hillary so much, she needs to go away.

It could be a bonus because of whatever sympathy has been generated by the assassination attempt.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »

Does Hillary speak Spanish? I guess she must if she won this district by 20 points.

#SpeakingSpanishMatters
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2018, 11:39:26 AM »

It could be a bonus because of whatever sympathy has been generated by the assassination attempt.

What's hilarious is that the Twitter replies to Shalala are overwhelmingly positive.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »

What's hilarious is that the Twitter replies to Shalala are overwhelmingly positive.

None of the replies are in Espanol though. RIP Shalala
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

Does Hillary speak Spanish? I guess she must if she won this district by 20 points.

#SpeakingSpanishMatters

Speaking Spanish matters for running for Congress, but not for polling states with a high Latino population. Smiley
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2018, 11:45:33 AM »

FL-27 belongs to Queen Shalala.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

#SpeakingSpanishMatters

Speaking Spanish matters for running for Congress, but not for polling states with a high Latino population. Smiley

Speaking Spanish matters to Nate Cohn, but only if you're an 87 year old Cuban who supports Salazar. Smiley
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2018, 03:56:03 PM »

No surprise. Two Third Way peas in a pod.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2018, 04:53:04 AM »

Hurricane Donna hit early in the evening. Smiley

LOL at all the #hottakes in this thread about how Dems could lose this seat even in a megagigatsunami. Or lose it at the same time they're winning FL-26 and WI-01.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »

If only the worthless sh!tposter that was OP was still here so we could witness the triggering upon the defeat of this disgusting and vile person that is for some idolized by a huge chunk of this forum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:24 PM »

I hope Shalala stays in Congress for 20 years just to spite her haters. That’d be hilarious.

BOOM! F[INKS]ING OWNED
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »

If only the worthless sh!tposter that was OP was still here so we could witness the triggering upon the defeat of this disgusting and vile person that is for some idolized by a huge chunk of this forum.

Your irrational hatred for her confuses me. She is far better than Salazar, who isn't even a moderate Republican like Letihnen was, Salazar is just a generic party-line hack.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »

Your irrational hatred for her confuses me. She is far better than Salazar, who isn't even a moderate Republican like Letihnen was, Salazar is just a generic party-line hack.
-Donna Shalala: the frontrunner in the race, Shalala is the former President of the University of Miami. As President, she fought against Justice for Janitors, a nine-week SEIU-led campaign demanding a living wage for campus custodial workers that ended in a lengthy hunger strike. Shalala's actions during the strike led a university chaplain to describe her as an "enemy of the working poor." As President, she also oversaw the University's sale of 88 acres of pine rocklands, a particularly endangered type of ecosystem, in order to build a new Walmart. She has also donated thousands to various members of the Florida Republican Party, including Atlas favorites former State. Sen. Frank Artiles and former Rep. David Rivera, and is a former member of the boards of subprime lender Lennar and the for-profit insurance company UnitedHealth.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2020, 10:39:41 PM »

-Donna Shalala: the frontrunner in the race, Shalala is the former President of the University of Miami. As President, she fought against Justice for Janitors, a nine-week SEIU-led campaign demanding a living wage for campus custodial workers that ended in a lengthy hunger strike. Shalala's actions during the strike led a university chaplain to describe her as an "enemy of the working poor." As President, she also oversaw the University's sale of 88 acres of pine rocklands, a particularly endangered type of ecosystem, in order to build a new Walmart. She has also donated thousands to various members of the Florida Republican Party, including Atlas favorites former State. Sen. Frank Artiles and former Rep. David Rivera, and is a former member of the boards of subprime lender Lennar and the for-profit insurance company UnitedHealth.

This is worth having a literal Republican in the seat?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2020, 10:40:03 PM »

There's only one person in this thread who's evidently triggered right now, & it isn't OP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »

We can replace her with a half decent Democrat in two years instead of having such trash infest the seat for who knows how long.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2020, 11:24:05 PM »

We can replace her with a half decent Democrat in two years instead of having such trash infest the seat for who knows how long.

Redistricting about to happen so nope unless Cubans swing back to Clinton level of support.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »

Redistricting about to happen so nope unless Cubans swing back to Clinton level of support.
And then there's the uncertainty over how Rs draw the Cubano CDs this time. Do they give Salazar a seat that is particularly vulnerable in order to sandbag Gimenez?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies