Does Trump have a path without Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:56:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Does Trump have a path without Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does Trump have a path without Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin?  (Read 1034 times)
christian peralta
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

Does Trump have a path without those three states together in 2020, if those three flip back Democratic
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »

No, he needs all three. If he wins Wisconsin but loses Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania still likely vote Democratic.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »

He can win NV, NH and the Dems lose ME 2, that is the path to his victory, but with Shaheen on the ballot, NH isn't gonna vote GOP, even if C.Sununu jumps in.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:20:01 PM »

No. He's not going to win anything that Clinton won.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 12:30:47 AM »

No, he needs all three. If he wins Wisconsin but loses Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania still likely vote Democratic.

Alternately, you have the fun* scenario of Dems reclaiming MI and WI but Trump holding PA...with the Dems also taking Arizona. 269-269.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:46:28 AM »

No. If he loses all 3 he's done for. But he has a better chance in all 3 than Atlas thinks.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:41 AM »

There is a sliver of a chance if he can flip Minnesota (in a sort of repeat 2000/2004 where few states swing very far and even bordering similar states like IA/WI can swing in opposite directions) in spite of losing all three. NH doesn't matter either way in this scenario, but all Trump '16 areas -- including MN-2 -- beyond PA/WI/MI have to be held.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:29:13 AM »

The map below would be 270-268 R, but very unlikely to happen. If Trump loses PA/WI/MI, he's basically done. He coudn't even afford a faithless elector.

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »

Not really, so no.

Alternately, you have the fun* scenario of Dems reclaiming MI and WI but Trump holding PA...with the Dems also taking Arizona. 269-269.

The Dems better have the house majority by that point if this happens because if that’s not the case I would be devastated.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2018, 12:16:24 AM by SN2903 »

The map below would be 270-268 R, but very unlikely to happen. If Trump loses PA/WI/MI, he's basically done. He coudn't even afford a faithless elector.

He has a path without MI and Wisconsin which is Florida, Ohio and PA. It would be tough without all 3 but if the dems pick someone hard left that appeals to more white working class voters he could maybe win Nevada, New Hampshire and Maine. Virginia is a longshot but not impossible if dems go goes hard left.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »

If he loses all 3 states he has no shot in hell unless he flips NV and NH and even then you have 269-269. It could come down to a faithless elector or God forbid the courts. But I sincerely doubt it comes to that. I think he'll hold PA at least
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »

Not really, so no.

The Dems better have the house majority by that point if this happens because if that’s not the case I would be devastated.

If it were a tie, it wouldn't matter whether the Dems held the House; the House votes by state delegation, and Republicans will still control a majority of those almost certainly, even if they don't control the chamber.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »

The house delegation would look like this, the same map the Dems will win by
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »

Not really, so no.

If it were a tie, it wouldn't matter whether the Dems held the House; the House votes by state delegation, and Republicans will still control a majority of those almost certainly, even if they don't control the chamber.

This.  One of the most misunderstood aspects of the U.S. Constitution.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

He does have a path, but the EC is tilted towards the Dems in NV,CO,VA, NH, WI, MI & PA, the states that matter.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

No. Zero. Nada. Xingkerui and I can guarantee you that he’s not winning NV and NH before PA/MI/WI, lol.

I feel slighted. Cry
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »

I also have a feeling that if PA, MI, and WI flip, so does Florida and possibly Arizona because of demographic similarities. The Republican Party has an advantage in Florida, but the Democrats can't win without it even though on paper its mathematically possible. Maybe New Hampshire could flip in such a circumstance, but I doubt it unless it really is becoming more Republican at a good rate. 
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »

It could all come down to PA. If he wins only WI, but not PA, on the following map it would be a tie,

This map shows PA as the tipping point 279-259 either way:

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »

If the election isn't this close we could conceivable have an identical map to 2012, since FL,OH & IA are still winnable for the Dem.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »

He can win without one or two of them, but not without all three.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »

If the election isn't this close we could conceivable have an identical map to 2012, since FL,OH & IA are still winnable for the Dem.

Dems don't need either Iowa, OH or FL they must win MI,PA,WI and VA
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »

It's possible, it would look like Romney's strategy from 2012, but it will be really difficult.  2012 wasn't too long ago, but it was a different time where the Republican could have potentially won Colorado and Virginia. Now, those two states seem off-limits to Trump. It's not impossible for him to win without those three, but close to it. If Trump is losing them, he is in a really tough situation.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »

Not really, so no.

Oh that’s my mistake. I wondered if they would vote by state delegation or not but I assumed the latter I guess due to what I’ve seen here before,
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »

Anyway, I don't think he needs all three, but he definitely shouldn't feel comfortable unless he's winning PA. Dem Pennsylvania would leave him with a very, very narrow path with no room for error.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »

No. If he loses all 3 he's done for. But he has a better chance in all 3 than Atlas thinks.
Yep and I have a weird feeling Wisconsin will be to the left of Michigan in 2020. I think Michigan just fits Trump really well as state esp counties like Macomb and Monroe. I think Trump takes PA and MI in 2020 and probably narrowily loses Wisconsin.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies