2012: Christie/Portman vs Obama/Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:20:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012: Christie/Portman vs Obama/Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012: Christie/Portman vs Obama/Biden  (Read 599 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »

Chris Christie is a late entry to the Republican race, and wins the nomination over Mitt Romney on the final day of primaries. He selects Rob Portman as his running mate.

President Obama and Vice President Biden are running for reelection.

Who wins and why? (Maps would be nice).
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272467.0

The people in this thread think that Christie can pull off quite a victory because 2012 was his prime in terms of popularity, but I'm not too sure.

He'd have to tack to the right in order to win the primary. Even though he would go back to the center, I doubt he'd win New Jersey.

He would do better in the debates compared to Romney, but he wouldn't be up against Rubio, he would be up against someone who knows exactly what he's doing, at least when it comes to debating.

He knows he has to hold the solidly red states in the South and the Mountain West (not hard against Obama) and needs to win back: Indiana, Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Colorado. That's basically what Romney was trying to do. I think his platform would be similar to Romney, except that his personality and overall execution would be quite different.

I think this is the worst case scenario for Christie.

I think this is the best case scenario for Christie.

I think the outcome is much closer to the first one than the second. To attain the second outcome, you're going to want to have quite a few things break in favor of Christie when it comes to execution - he has to clearly trounce Obama in the debates, raise money comparable to the amount Romney did in the OTL, avoid any gaffes while ruthlessly exploiting any gaffes Obama makes, and effectively respond to any of the attacks leveled against him. He has to be successful in conveying to the country the overall image of someone who isn't a wingnut like Santorum, someone who isn't out-of-touch like Romney, and someone who has more substance than Obama while still retaining an adequate level of style. You might also want to add a few major mistakes on Obama's part when it comes to gaffes, responsiveness to attacks, messaging, etc.

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:14:04 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272467.0

The people in this thread think that Christie can pull off quite a victory because 2012 was his prime in terms of popularity, but I'm not too sure.

He'd have to tack to the right in order to win the primary. Even though he would go back to the center, I doubt he'd win New Jersey.

He would do better in the debates compared to Romney, but he wouldn't be up against Rubio, he would be up against someone who knows exactly what he's doing, at least when it comes to debating.

He knows he has to hold the solidly red states in the South and the Mountain West (not hard against Obama) and needs to win back: Indiana, Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Colorado. That's basically what Romney was trying to do. I think his platform would be similar to Romney, except that his personality and overall execution would be quite different.

I think this is the worst case scenario for Christie.

I think this is the best case scenario for Christie.

I think the outcome is much closer to the first one than the second. To attain the second outcome, you're going to want to have quite a few things break in favor of Christie when it comes to execution - he has to clearly trounce Obama in the debates, raise money comparable to the amount Romney did in the OTL, avoid any gaffes while ruthlessly exploiting any gaffes Obama makes, and effectively respond to any of the attacks leveled against him. He has to be successful in conveying to the country the overall image of someone who isn't a wingnut like Santorum, someone who isn't out-of-touch like Romney, and someone who has more substance than Obama while still retaining an adequate level of style. You might also want to add a few major mistakes on Obama's part when it comes to gaffes, responsiveness to attacks, messaging, etc.

I could have seen that second result happen minus Nevada, Virginia and Colorado. 293-245 for Christie/Portman.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies