Trump administration plans to target legal immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:22:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump administration plans to target legal immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump administration plans to target legal immigrants  (Read 1730 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Keep America safe! By... keeping out working families who contribute to the country because they have the audacity to use the same social benefits as natural-born American citizens? It's sickening just how far a good segment of this country will go, how little regard they have for the lives of others, just because they buy into the narrative of "MUH immigrants is taking teh jobs from good white "hard-working" Americans, so keep/kick 'em out!!!!"
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

They contribute to the country by taking government benefits?

When my folks came here as legal immigrants, they were on one $18,000 income. They never collected any food stamps. Instead, we lived in one room and slept on one bed for several years. I couldn't even get a $20 toy for my birthday. In just five years, they saved enough for a nice house in the suburbs. Nowadays, things are harder for legal immigrants. It's not as easy as it used to be. and it's all Trumps fault. Given the rate housing prices have increased, much of it under Obama, they'd have to save twice as long.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »

Wait how does that not need congressional approval.

The constitution says this:

https://www.shmoop.com/constitution/article-1-section-8.html
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »

It's explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXUUOOdqvs

The good thing about this is that the next Democratic president should be able to overturn it with the stroke of a pen.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »

The good thing about this is that the next Democratic president should be able to overturn it with the stroke of a pen.

So you would be ok with Trump overturning DACA with a stroke of the pen or are you not bothering to hide your double standard now?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

So you would be ok with Trump overturning DACA with a stroke of the pen or are you not bothering to hide your double standard now?

He already threw DACA under the bus, didn't he?

I'm for it that congress has the final say, on this matter as well as the tariffs. But if Trump's bad actions can be undone with the stroke of a pen, the next Democrat who sits in the Oval Office should it. Like lots of other bad things Trump did.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »

Man. My grandpa came here in the late 1920s/early 1930s from Germany. Not even 100 years later, I'm wishing it was feasible for me to go back. This is beyond reprehensible. Legal immigrants should not be punished for following the law and wanting to become citizens of this country just because they happened to purchase health insurance (a legal requirement) or didn't make enough money to pay for food.

I just. What comes next? Denaturalizing people who use welfare? Of course not; that would hit pretty much everyone. So, denaturalizing PoC who use welfare? That would be more "acceptable," right? UGH.

I do echo Old School's question, though. I don't understand how this wouldn't require Congressional approval. (Edit: Will check out the video; thank you)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »

They contribute to the country by taking government benefits?

When my folks came here as legal immigrants, they were on one $18,000 income. They never collected any food stamps. Instead, we lived in one room and slept on one bed for several years. I couldn't even get a $20 toy for my birthday. In just five years, they saved enough for a nice house in the suburbs. Nowadays, things are harder for legal immigrants. It's not as easy as it used to be. and it's all Trumps fault. Given the rate housing prices have increased, much of it under Obama, they'd have to save twice as long.

This story sounds completely fabricated.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »

What happened to: "We're only against illegal immigration"?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »

That’s just to get their foot in the door. This was the inevitable path of progression regression. Reducing as many POC from this country as possible and disenfranchising as many as possible of the ones who remain is their ultimate goal.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »

It was a lie and it was stupid. We need to stop all new immigration.

We don't need more people and we certainly don't need more people who take more than they contribute.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »

We don't need more people and we certainly don't need more people who take more than they contribute.

At least you're honest.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »

So we should give West Virginia its independence? The Federal government spends almost $3 there for every $1 it gets in taxes.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »

First of all, this is just sad overall. Limiting legal immigration in a seemingly large way is wrong. A majority of Democrats, Independents, and Republicans all agree on that point.

Second of all, the fact that they're attempting to kick out legal immigrants ALREADY HERE because they're on welfare programs is just flat-out wrong.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »

It was honestly delusional to think this wasn't Trump's plan all along.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »

First of all, this is just sad overall. Limiting legal immigration in a seemingly large way is wrong. A majority of Democrats, Independents, and Republicans all agree on that point.

Second of all, the fact that they're attempting to kick out legal immigrants ALREADY HERE because they're on welfare programs is just flat-out wrong.

I particularly agree with the second part. I'm not sure what the Trump Administration is trying to accomplish with this.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »

Why is this bad? People are not entitled to US citizenship. If they get to live here a few years and get welfare, they still have received a massive art of charity from the US government. Why do you people consider it so objectionable that we aren't gifting out more free stuff to foreigners?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »

Why is this bad? People are not entitled to US citizenship. If they get to live here a few years and get welfare, they still have received a massive art of charity from the US government. Why do you people consider it so objectionable that we aren't gifting out more free stuff to foreigners?

The Constitution Doesn't give the President that power
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 09:41:35 PM »

He is not stripping people who were legally naturalized of their citizenship. He is denying citizenship to certain green card holders.

This is completely constitutional.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »

He is not stripping people who were legally naturalized of their citizenship. He is denying citizenship to certain green card holders.

This is completely constitutional.

Congress has the power
not the President
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »

So we should give West Virginia its independence? The Federal government spends almost $3 there for every $1 it gets in taxes.

People from West Virginia are from here. Immigrants are not from here.

Additionally:

How is the fact that we already have a lot of people who are a fiscal drain, a reason to let in more people who are a fiscal drain?

It's a reason to do the opposite.

It's like me saying "hey, breaking your leg is bad" and you go "hehehe but my arms are already broken so I might as well".
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »

Personally, and as I've made clear before, I don't think illegal immigrants should be given unfair advantages or benefits over American citizens. With legal immigrants, however, my position is different. As long as they are adhering to our laws, going through the proper procedures, and working towards their citizenship, then they should be entitled to the benefits that they are eligible for, especially if they have children who were born here. People who are here legally and are working in a lawful manner should be given the benefit of the doubt over those who aren't.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »

The ultimate objective is to take away citizenship from naturalized citizens who have ever gotten welfare -- and probably disenfranchise people who have collected welfare.

Government of money, by money, and for money...

The more that I see of the Trump agenda the more I hold my own life in contempt.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:04 PM »

People from West Virginia are from here. Immigrants are not from here.

Take a good look at my username and what it means about my political beliefs.  True  Fed-er-al-ist.  West Virginians aren't citizens of either South Carolina or New York.  If they want money and have no prospect of earning it where they currently are, then rather than whining about needing more Federal handouts they can damn well come here (or somewhere else) where jobs are reasonably available at a wide variety of economic levels.  Frankly, I have more in common with the vast majority of foreign immigrants who have the gumption to move to where they can earn a better living rather than expecting Uncle Sam to send them more money just because they're Americans.  Heck, given that they already speak a common language the West Virginians who decide to become South Carolinians have a leg up on the Guatemalans who want to become South Carolinians. I welcome hard-working honest people of both West Virginia and Guatemala to become citizens of my wonderful state.  The riff-raff can head to Hudson.  Tongue

Except that as a general rule, immigrants aren't a drain but a benefit to both the overall economy as well as the public fisc. It's the states that can't attract migrants, either internal migrants from other states or foreign immigrants that have the weakest economies. Immigrants generally want paychecks, not government checks.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 02:09:31 AM »

Ridiculous. You should pay taxes but not get any benefits in return when you need them? Because some employers don't pay you a living wage. The same that the GOP opposes by being against a minimum wage.

But overall, hardly a surprise. It is well known that the Drumpf Admin doesn't want brown people come into their white America.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies