An Open Field: 2000 & Beyond Without W
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:22:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Open Field: 2000 & Beyond Without W
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Open Field: 2000 & Beyond Without W  (Read 576 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:31:19 PM »

The PoD is that 1990 Texas gubernatorial Republicans candidate Clayton Williams does not joke about rape and shakes Ann Richards's hand in the debate, enabling him to pull off a narrow victory.
--------------------------------------------
"Claytie started out way ahead. He outspent his Democratic opponent, Treasurer Ann Richards, by a margin of 2-1. Until the very end, polls showed Claytie leading big, often by double digits. Claytie was new to politics, and made a series of gaffes and had several controversies, including being accused of having frequented brothels as an undergraduate. But he soldiered on, and his colorful style and conservative campaign appealed to many Texans. Richards was a strong candidate, declaring herself a sensible progressive and she came close to winning. The race was called 'Claytie vs The Lady', and it became a good fight. Richards attacked Claytie for his privileged millionaire status and cowboy image, and ran as a populist. Her sharp tongue, which she had used at the 1988 DNC, was used against Claytie too. Claytie spent freely from his personal fortune, running a 'Good Old Boy' campaign appealing to conservatives. That was a good play in Texas. However, despite the odds, the race was neck in neck on Election Day. But when the results came in, Claytie pulled it off."-Claytie: The Life of a Wildcatter Governor by Mike Cochran

The new Republican Governor of Texas, Clayton 'Claytie' Williams
CLAYTON WILLIAMS WINS TEXAS GOVERNOR RACE, 2ND REPUBLICAN TO GOVERN TEAXS SINCE RECONSTRUCTION-New York Times, 7 November, 1990
1990 Texas gubernatorial election
Clayton Williams-Republican: 48.81%
Ann Richards-Democratic: 48.17%
Jeff Daiell-Libertarian: 3.02%
"The Bush family tried for a comeback in 1994. Jeb Bush made a good run for the Florida governorship, but it came to naught. Despite a national Republican wave, Jeb Bush lost in Florida, and so did, at least for now, the Bush family's hopes of a political comeback"-New York Times, 9 November, 1994
1994 Florida gubernatorial election
Lawton Chiles-Democratic: 50.8%
Jeb Bush-Republican: 49.2%
CLAYTON WILLIAMS RE-ELECTED AS GOVERNOR OF TEXAS
"In 1998, George W Bush won the gubernatorial race relatively easily and was elected as Governor of Texas. Unfortunately for the Bushes, that was far too late for a 2000 presidential run. Bush's presidential ambitions would have to wait."-W Bush: A Biography by Karen Hughes
1998 Texas gubernatorial election
George W Bush-Republican: 56.01%
Jim Mattox-Democratic: 43.38%
"Following Dole's loss in 1996, it was an open field for 2000. There was, unlike any Republican presidential primary in decades, no dominant frontrunner. With a wide crop of candidates following the Republican Party's 1994 wins, it created the biggest primary field in the history of the Republican Party. At its height it spanned 17 candidates, and from that open field, one underdog would come to lead the Republican Party, and America, into the 21st century."-Bridge to the 21st Century: The Story of the 2000 Election by James W Ceaser and Andrew E Busch
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »

I can certainly see John McCain and Alan Keyes entering the race as IRL.

Elizabeth Dole, anyone?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »

This is what I believe who would have jumped into the race if W didnt run

- Phil Gramm
- Tommy Thompson
- John Engler
- Christine Todd Whitman
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »

This is what I believe who would have jumped into the race if W didnt run

- Phil Gramm
- Tommy Thompson
- John Engler
- Christine Todd Whitman

Some of those names sound right.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »

Pretty confident McCain would win the primary and the presidency
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:57 AM »

"I announce today that I am running for President of the United States. I represented Missouri as a strong conservative in the Senate. I will bring conservative, but bipartisan, leadership to the White House, and replace the scandals of the Clinton presidency with clean government, small government and working government."-Missouri Senator John Ashcroft announces his 2000 presidential run on January 15, 1999, being the first Republican to throw his hat in the ring

"Senator Ashcroft's bid marks the entry of a potentially strong conservative standard bearer into the Republican race. In recent years Ashcroft had met with evangelical leaders and establishment figures, and gained encouragement from both factions. In April 1998, several potential candidates met with policy experts and establishment figures, and they declared that Ashcroft is someone who "looks like a promising conservative candidate." Ashcroft is an abortion foe well-liked by the GOP's powerful religious conservative movement. Says Terry Jeffrey, editor of Human Events: "He is very well-known among the sort of activists who get out the vote in the early primary and caucus states." And he's a favorite of term limits backers, another strong grassroots group. "People who are looking for real change in Washington and who've been frustrated that not really much has changed have mentioned his name," said Paul Jacob, executive director of U.S. Term Limits. "-CNN article; Ashcroft announces 2000 presidential run, January 5, 1999

ELIZABETH DOLE FORMS EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE FOR 2000 BID
-February 2, 1999

AMBASSADOR ALAN KEYES ANNOUNCES HE IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT-February 13, 1999

"Late last week, just a few hours after he cast his vote to convict President Clinton of high crimes and misdemeanors, Sen. Robert C. Smith (R-N.H.) sat at his desk in his Capitol Hill office contemplating his next move – a run for president. Smith will be the first to admit that most voters do not know who he is. But he senses an urgency in the American people – an urgency for a leader who will bring back character, dignity and integrity to the White House. Bob Smith says he is that person. Today, at a high school in the town of Wolfeboro, where he once taught school, Smith will formally enter the 2000 presidential race and then embark on a tour of Iowa, which will hold the nation's first caucuses in a year. In an interview last week, Smith said he was not exactly sure what he would say at his announcement because so much of his time and energy had been spent on Clinton's trial. But it would have a lot to do with character and conservative values. "I've put my career on the line standing up for the pro-life [movement] . . . I've put it on the line standing up for gun owners. I've stood up for a strong national defense," Smith said. "I think people are looking for a role model, somebody they can look up to. I don't think it's the type of thing you go out and rant and rave about. I think it's something you demonstrate.""-Washington Post article; Mr Smith Goes to the Campaign Trail, February 18, 1999

"I am running for President of the United States. I will bring a new voice to the White House and new leadership to America. I'm a fresh face and not the same old stale ideas and leadership, Jolt Cola in a market dominated by Pepsi and Coca Cola."-Congressman John Kasich(R-OH) announces his 2000 presidential campaign

"Promising better schools, tax breaks and a stronger military, former Tennesee Gov. Lamar Alexander officially launched his candidacy Tuesday for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000, his second bid for the White House. "I am ready to help our country face the challenges of a new century and to make the right choices," Alexander told the crowd gathered in the old State Supreme Court chamber in Nashville. "This election will be about the character of the nation and its institutions. This election will be about restoring respect for the presidency." During his 25-minute speech Alexander said he will build his 2000 campaign around three issues: "Raising family incomes by lowering taxes and securing Social Security" and "strengthening national defense, especially against terrorists. Alexander got third place in Iowa and New Hampshire in 1996, and in 2000 has a chance to make a real impact. Alexander has received support from several big donors, who have said that he could 'have what it takes'."-CNN article; Lamar Alexander kicks off second White House run, March 9, 1999

PAT BUCHANAN JUMPS INTO 2000 GOP RACE

"Steve Forbes sees the Internet as the natural place to announce that he's running for president in 2000 -- and a great place to campaign, too. "I don't believe in business as usual, and I don't believe in politics as usual," he said in an Internet address on Tuesday that, along with a more traditional tour of New Hampshire, kicks off his second run for the Republican nomination. "This is going to be a new, information-age campaign about great ideas and enduring values." I am happy to announce the beginning of my campaign for president of the United States of America," Forbes said in his Internet address. "Today marks the beginning of a national crusade to restore Ronald Reagan's vision of hope and prosperity for all Americans. "You and I are entering the information age, and Washington politicians are stuck in the Stone Age." He outlined his agenda to abolish the tax code, protect Social Security and curb abortions."-AP article; Forbes Declares Candidacy, on Internet, March 16, 1999

NATO BEGINS BOMBING OF KOSOVO
-March 24, 1999

"We are in it, now we must win it"-Potential 2000 presidential candidate Senator McCain(R-AZ) on the Kosovo conflict

"In thirty-five years in Washington, I have never seen a debate dominated by an individual in the minority party as I've seen this one dominated by John McCain."-CNN pundit Mark Shields on Senator John McCain's voice in the Kosovo intervention

ORRIN HATCH JUMPS INTO GOP RACE

GARY BAUER IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT-April 1, 1999

"While now is not the time for the celebratory tour I had planned, I am a candidate for president and I will formally kick off my campaign at a more appropriate time."-John McCain announces he is running for President, April 13, 1999

"Proudly resurrecting one of the most controversial episodes of his Vice President-his denunciation of the Murphy Brown television character-Dan Quayle today formally announced his candidacy for the Republican Presidential nomination and vowed to make protecting American values a centerpiece of his campaign. "Murphy Brown is gone, and I'm still here fighting for the American family" Quayle declared to a euphoric crowd in this farming community where he was reared, recalling his 1992 attack on the television character who had a child out of wedlock. Belittling what he characterized as 'a dishonest decade of Bill Clinton and Al Gore," Mr Quayle cited President Clinton's impeachment and denounced Vice President Al Gore, the man he might run against in next year's election, for describing Mr Clinton on the day of his impeachment as a great President. "What arrogance, what disdain for the values we are trying to teach our children" Mr Quayle said."-New York Times article; Quayle Enters GOP Race With Vow to Protect Values, April 15, 1999

CALLS MOUNT FOR GENERAL COLIN POWELL TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT

"Colin Powell would be a great choice for President, if he runs I would absolutely support him. He is the kind of leader who can bring our nation together and lead us into the 21st century."-New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman

"I have no intention of running for President, I am not running. You should focus on the strong field who are running for President, because I won't be a part of it."-General Colin Powell, April 20, 1999

RUN, PATAKI, RUN! PRESSURE MOUNTS FOR NEW YORK GOVERNOR TO JOIN PRESIDENTIAL RACE
-New York Times headline, April 21, 1999

"I am proud to announce, I am..running for President of the United States. I stand for a restoration of..uh..moral values in this country and a true conservative leader. I am not a fake. This campaign is dedicated to taking our country..back and restoring the ..uh..greatness of America. I hope you will support me in this mission."-Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum announces he is running for President, April 25, 1999

"I won't be running for President in 2000."-New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman

"Thanks for considering me, but I am not running for President."-Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge

BUSINESS HERMAN CAIN IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT-May 1, 1999

"I am throwing my hat in the ring. I have been a strong conservative Governor, and won three times in the key swing state of Michigan. My record in Michigan is a conservative who gets things done. If you will give me the chance, I will bring my executive experience and usher in a new conservative era for America. We shall move beyond the scandals of recent years to a new, stronger, brighter era for our country, where every American has the opportunity to succeed."-Michigan Governor John Engler announces he is running for President, May 12, 1999

"I am officially running for President of the United States. I am proud of what I have done in New York. We cut taxes, lowered crime, and implemented common-sense conservative governance even in a deep blue state. I proved that conservative change can, and will, happen anywhere. And now, I want to bring that change to all of America. I will be a strong leader and stand for common-sense conservatism and be a true leader, unlike our current President. America, we face a great opportunity and a stark choice, let us make the right choice."-New York Governor George Pataki announces he is running for President, May 20, 1999

NEW NATIONAL POLL SHOWS NEW YORK GOVERNOR GEORGE PATAKI LEADING THE FIELD AT 25% OF THE VOTE

OKLAHOMA GOVERNOR FRANK KEATING JOINS CROWDED GOP FIELD
-May 28, 1999

"I won't run for President this year, I am endorsing Governor John Engler for President of the United States."-Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson, June 5, 1999
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:40 AM »

This is really good! Can we get some polls of this huge field?

Also, go Pataki!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:36:57 AM »

This is really good! Can we get some polls of this huge field?

Also, go Pataki!

I mentioned the poll with Pataki at 25%, and I'll give more in future updates. Glad you like it!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:25 AM »

Pretty confident McCain would win the primary and the presidency
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »

Some names that also come to mind are Quayle and Illinois Gov. Jim Edgar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies