Most Partisan Modern President Besides The Obvious Two?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most Partisan Modern President Besides The Obvious Two?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
FDR

Truman

Eisenhower

JFK

LBJ

Ford

Carter

Reagan

Bush 1

Clinton

Bush 2

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Most Partisan Modern President Besides The Obvious Two?  (Read 3452 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »

I don’t think this question has been outright asked before. Even so, I know the obvious answers would be Trump and Nixon. So besides those two, who has been the biggest partisan hack to occupy the White House in the last 85 years?

I’m going with Obama. He didn’t even bother to sit down with the Republicans, and even if they were partially to blame, he still disproportionately blamed them for every problem they had, even those of his own making. He’s been very active in partisan politics since he left, even more so than other former Presidents, who just weigh in on general issues, usually without a partisan bent.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »

LBJ
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

To those voting Reagan

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/02/reagans-legacy-of-constructive-bipartisanship-072468

He had a good relationship with the Democratic House. He had to. His not planting his feet in the mud after a while automatically makes him less partisan than Obama in my view.
BundouYMB

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

I’m going with Obama. He didn’t even bother to sit down with the Republicans, and even if they were partially to blame, he still disproportionately blamed them for every problem they had, even those of his own making.

LOL. Republicans really do live in their own little world. The Republicans got 95% of what they wanted in every bipartisan deal under Obama EXCEPT the one time Patty Murray led negotiations (which were on the budget -- she actually got a very favorable deal for Democrats, which just goes to show it wasn't inevitable that Democrats give away the barn to Republicans every other time.)

Also, Obama has been exceptionally NOT active in partisan politics, which you would realize if you were old enough to remember more than W and Obama. The only reason W was even less active was because no one wanted to be seen with him.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »

I’m going with Obama. He didn’t even bother to sit down with the Republicans, and even if they were partially to blame, he still disproportionately blamed them for every problem they had, even those of his own making.

LOL. Republicans really do live in their own little world. The Republicans got 95% of what they wanted in every bipartisan deal under Obama EXCEPT the one time Patty Murray led negotiations (which were on the budget -- she actually got a very favorable deal for Democrats, which just goes to show it wasn't inevitable that Democrats give away the barn to Republicans every other time.)

Also, Obama has been exceptionally NOT active in partisan politics, which you would realize if you were old enough to remember more than W and Obama. The only reason W was even less active was because no one wanted to be seen with him.

Dude he just released a list of 81 endorsements. campaigned for Ralph Northam, and released an essay rebuking the current administration’s decision against the Iran Deal. And did he not plant his feet in the mud after a while, yes or no?

Also, no need to be condescending. Big problem with Atlas Dems.
BundouYMB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »

Anyways, the obvious answer is the senior Bush who literally spent his entire life in an isolated bubble of rich Republican families and whose entire career in politics prior to his Presidency was as a mindless party drone. He even carried water for Nixon as RNC chairman right up until he resigned (even when most Republicans in both houses of congress were in favor of impeachment.)
BundouYMB

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »

Dude he just released a list of 81 endorsements. campaigned for Ralph Northam, and released an essay rebuking the current administration’s decision against the Iran Deal. And did he not plant his feet in the mud after a while, yes or no?

*says something blatantly untrue and gets called out on it*

"Woah, why are you being mean to me?"

Sorry snowflake, this isn't your fake news safe zone where you get to rewrite history.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Anyways, the obvious answer is the senior Bush who literally spent his entire life in an isolated bubble of rich Republican families and whose entire career in politics prior to his Presidency was as a mindless party drone. He even carried water for Nixon as RNC chairman right up until he resigned (even when most Republicans in both houses of congress were in favor of impeachment.)

You seem to have a different definition of partisan. He had a pretty good relationship with Congress. He wouldn’t have agreed to the budget deal and broken his biggest campaign theme if he didn’t.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

Sorry snowflake, this isn't your fake news safe zone where you get to rewrite history.

1. Opinions are subjective
2. Your response was, to me, and probably others, very condescending
3. You’re being condescending IMO again
4. Your side is in no position to throw the “snowflake” label to avoid actually addressing my points.
5. I read multiple sides to every story to make sure I get the right information.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »

Many of the people on this forum have a bad habit of using ad hominem attacks, as I've noticed and noted before. I am not sure what purpose these attacks accomplish, other than to inflame tensions and cause more trouble then what it's worth.

As to the question in the title, I'm not sure who I would count as the most partisan modern President. Every President is partisan in someway (i.e. FDR with his court-packing scheme, Truman with his attacks on the "good-for-nothing" 80th Congress, Reagan for his attacks on liberals, Trump with his attacks and insults against a wide spectrum of Democrats); that's just a function of the job.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »

I'm not aware of any President in between Andrew Johnson and Trump being partisan.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »

The problem with Republicans isn't that they live in their own little world - it's that they insist everyone else live there , too.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »

LOL at idea of Reagan being partisan.

The reason he got most of his agenda passed his because he worked with Democrats to get them passed
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 04:07:19 PM »

FDR, all things considered.  Of course, FDR governed in an era where the GOP seemed a permanent minority. 

When I was a young activist in Democratic Politics, there were still oldtimers who remember FDR.  Lots of liberals who saw liberalism and the Democratic Party go through dark days after LBJ often thought things would have been different if FDR hadn't died.
mencken
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »

I would have thought Obama was one of the obvious two.

I do not really see the Nixon angle. Did not he pretty much let the Democratic Congress have free reign on domestic policy while he played geopolitical chess?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »

Republicans are also horribly condescending and always go into arguments with extremely disingenuous intentions. Take a seat.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »

Truman.

In his case it's understandable since uniting against the GOP was what pacified the Northern Dems still wondering why he wasn't a perfect FDR, and stopped a complete Dixiecrat Revolt, and of course the Taftians punched hard too.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »

I do not really see the Nixon angle. Did not he pretty much let the Democratic Congress have free reign on domestic policy while he played geopolitical chess?

Nixson's resignation as a partisan is mainly from his VP days, and for his time in the wilderness running for Governor of California and campaigning for other Republicans.

As President, Nixon was primarily concerned with the ability to get majorities for his foreign policies.  He did not vigorously oppose those Democrats who supported his Vietnam War policy and foreign policies.  His Southern strategy did not seek to drive Southern Democrats from office in the Deep South; his goal was to neutralize George Wallace as a threat to him. 
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

LOL at idea of Reagan being partisan.

The reason he got most of his agenda passed his because he worked with Democrats to get them passed

This. Plus, for Obama, it's very difficult to be a bipartisan President when the other side (GOP controlled House after 2010 and Senate after 2014) is hellbent on obstructing your legislation and doesn't really have much interest in reach a compromise.

Now before anyone jumps on me, we are seeing the same thing right now with Trump, and I only expect it to ramp up if the Democrats gain the House or possibly the Senate this fall. Neither Obama or Trump one of them will go down as being bipartisan - although I think Obama could have been way more partisan if he told Republicans to go screw in 2009 and 2010 when Democrats had 60 seats in the Senate and around an 80 seat advantage in the House. They got a lot of things passed without Republican votes but they could have gone further in the liberal policies they sought.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »

The idea of Obama being the most partisan when he bent over backwards to get Republican support for the stimulus and Heritagecare/Gingrichcare/Dolecare/Romneycare is hilarious.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »

The idea of Obama being the most partisan when he bent over backwards to get Republican support for the stimulus and Heritagecare/Gingrichcare/Dolecare/Romneycare is hilarious.
This. I have to believe some of these people are living under rocks or just outright lunatics.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »

This. I have to believe some of these people are living under rocks or just outright lunatics.

I think a lot are also too young to remember Obama's first 2 years in office.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies