GOP CT Gubernatorial Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP CT Gubernatorial Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win the 2018 Connecticut Republican gubernatorial nomination on primary day?
Mark Boughton

Tim Herbst

Bob Stefanowski

David Stemmerman

Steve Obstinik

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: GOP CT Gubernatorial Primary  (Read 918 times)
ctrepublican512

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »

I'd say there is no clear indication of who will win. Boughton, Stemmerman, and Stefanowski have spiraled into negative attacks against each other. Obsitnik has had some pretty bad campaign blunders with his TV ads and campaign finance debacle.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:18 AM »

Probably Boughton. Partially - because of party line. I would prefer more Rell-like pro-choice Republican instead...
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 01:22:08 AM »

Didn't even realize Stewart withdrew. I thought everyone here was sure she was going to be President.
She's running for lg?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:12:41 AM »

Didn't even realize Stewart withdrew. I thought everyone here was sure she was going to be President.
She's running for lg?
She lost the CTGOP endorsement for governor and so she jumped to LG, sort of similar to what Swanson did in MN. She was viewed as the one/only candidate who could win the race, and shes now gone.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »

Who will be the sacrifical lamb for Lamont to slaughter?
ctrepublican512

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »

Probably Boughton. Partially - because of party line. I would prefer more Rell-like pro-choice Republican instead...

Most GOP activists don't like him at all, that might reflect in the election. He hasn't been really campaigning and missed more than one debate at all, I'm guessing cause of his health. Out of the $1.3 million grant he got for the primary he spent $200,000 on an ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZReH4aC2E8

Don't think it was the best move and a lot of people were reminded of his health issues (even I forgot). I think it will be Herbst or Stefanowski, but Boughton definitely could get it. Vote is just kind of too split and his base of support isn't centralized
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »

She's running for lg?
She lost the CTGOP endorsement for governor and so she jumped to LG, sort of similar to what Swanson did in MN. She was viewed as the one/only candidate who could win the race, and shes now gone.

This is half right. She withdrew right before the convention started because she entered too late and couldn't nail down enough delegate support. She got 25% for LG by doing next to nothing. She could definitely be an asset to the ticket. She was very good a debate last night.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »

Who will be the one to have a competitive race with Lamont, who is weak, feckless, and tone-deaf?

FTFY
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

He actually pretty much said he was pro-choice at a debate recently. He waffled around outright saying it because base, but it was clear what he meant.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:58 PM »

I find it odd that Atlas thinks Erin Stewart is this unstoppable behemoth but smugly dismisses Boughton, another successful centrist blue city mayor who very damn well may have Stewart as his running mate.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »

who care

Really the only question at the moment is: Who will be Lamont's running mate after the primary?

1. Ganim is running stronger than expected.
2. It's going to be Bysiewicz. She's facing a nobody's nobody.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:34 PM »

I find it odd that Atlas thinks Erin Stewart is this unstoppable behemoth but smugly dismisses Boughton, another successful centrist blue city mayor who very damn well may have Stewart as his running mate.

Who is younger and more photogenic?))))))
warandwar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »

who care

Really the only question at the moment is: Who will be Lamont's running mate after the primary?

1. He's running as strong as he always does. Lamont is just running pretty weak!

2. I wouldn't be so sure - Eva's campaign has become a kind of proxy war between the labor and terrible rich people factions of the CT Dems, and if the last 8 years has proven anything, it's that the terrible rich people are incredibly incompetant!
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2018, 10:36:40 AM by choclatechip45 »

who care

It's funny how republicans think Ganim is so strong. He really isn't. Couldn't even find someone to second his own nomination at the convention. Granted I also remember when Republicans in CT were saying how they were going to win CT-5 because the democrat bench was weak. The republicans are looking much weaker in that race than the democrats.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »

He actually pretty much said he was pro-choice at a debate recently. He waffled around outright saying it because base, but it was clear what he meant.

Boughton tried to get the Family Institute PAC definitely not a pro choice organization...
ctrepublican512

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 05:01:15 PM »

who care

It's funny how republicans think Ganim is so strong. He really isn't. Couldn't even find someone to second his own nomination at the convention. Granted I also remember when Republicans in CT were saying how they were going to win CT-5 because the democrat bench was weak. The republicans are looking much weaker in that race than the democrats.

sure he is, he's the long-time Mayor of the largest city in the state. Tons of Democratic votes there. Zimmerman has been doing a whisper campaign for her urban base to vote for Ganim. I think she can win her own race too. Lamont probably will still win but don't think it's a given.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »

who care

sure he is, he's the long-time Mayor of the largest city in the state. Tons of Democratic votes there. Zimmerman has been doing a whisper campaign for her urban base to vote for Ganim. I think she can win her own race too. Lamont probably will still win but don't think it's a given.

And why are you so sure voters in Bridgeport will turn out in a primary in August? Bridgeport had the lowest turnout of any town in Fairfield County in 2016. That's funny cus I've had Zimmerman's supporters speak to me and they never mentioned anything about voting for Ganim.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »

who care

And why are you so sure voters in Bridgeport will turn out in a primary in August? Bridgeport had the lowest turnout of any town in Fairfield County in 2016. That's funny cus I've had Zimmerman's supporters speak to me and they never mentioned anything about voting for Ganim.

yeah, that's just B.S. about a "whisper campaign."

Ganim's PD letting a kid die on the street, followed by his incessant attempts (and pretty tokenizing) to draw away black endorsements have salted the earth for him among the activists who are pushing Eva...

Dem AG primary is looking pretty interesting too - 3 way race and only one of the candidates is sh*t!
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »

who care

Ganim's PD letting a kid die on the street, followed by his incessant attempts (and pretty tokenizing) to draw away black endorsements have salted the earth for him among the activists who are pushing Eva...

Dem AG primary is looking pretty interesting too - 3 way race and only one of the candidates is sh*t!

Exactly. Most people I know who would vote for Ganim are pretty disgusted with the whole PD incident.
ctrepublican512

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »

who care

Exactly. Most people I know who would vote for Ganim are pretty disgusted with the whole PD incident.

Right, forgot you know ever Democratic voter in Connecticut. All I'm saying is don't underestimate the city vote in CT Dem gov primaries. In 2010 everyone thought it was going to be close, I think Lamont even was polling ahead consistently against Malloy. From my perspective, the CT Dems are factioned urban vs suburban.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »

Boughton tried to get the Family Institute PAC definitely not a pro choice organization...

Will more lay voters know about that or what he says in public, though?
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2018, 12:01:42 PM by choclatechip45 »

who care

Right, forgot you know ever Democratic voter in Connecticut. All I'm saying is don't underestimate the city vote in CT Dem gov primaries. In 2010 everyone thought it was going to be close, I think Lamont even was polling ahead consistently against Malloy. From my perspective, the CT Dems are factioned urban vs suburban.

Lol I never said I know every voter in CT. All you have to do is google Bridgeport voter turnout and this is the first hit on Google https://bridgeport.dailyvoice.com/politics/connecticut-sets-voter-record-but-how-was-turnout-in-bridgeport/691892/. I didn't know googling was so hard. No wonder the CT Republicans cant win a statewide election if they cant google basic facts. Everyone thought they could beat Malloy including Foley twice. Malloy is a good campaigner. I was volunteering for Himes in 2010 and told his sister straight up I was undecided between Malloy and Lamont.  His sister made sure every single time she saw me she would talk to me about 10 minutes not about her brother but other things. Personally I think the Republicans should be more worried about the city vote in the general since that is why Malloy won in 2014, but they don't want to make the effort. And the PD case has been extensively written about in local papers. So of course I would ask my friends who live in Bridgeport who are involved with the activism going on.

I don't think there is a faction I just think polling in CT is sh**tty. Foley led Malloy in the polls both years and lost twice.

choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »

Will more lay voters know about that or what he says in public, though?

More than you think. I've seen quite a few mentions of it in articles and on social media. Boughton has been around forever. My mom who doesn't follow politics knows who he is because she reads the paper every morning and doesn't like him due to things in the past.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies