TN-Spry Strategies: Lee +7 over Harwell, Black and Boyd Fading
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:45:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  TN-Spry Strategies: Lee +7 over Harwell, Black and Boyd Fading
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TN-Spry Strategies: Lee +7 over Harwell, Black and Boyd Fading  (Read 758 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »

Lee 29
Harwell 22
Black 19
Boyd 15

Unfortunately, they didn't give anything more than the data and it came in a tweet from a Nashville news anchor.
https://twitter.com/bobmuellerwkrn/status/1022642937245577219

I do know anecdotally of people changing to Lee in the last week or so, but the Harwell momentum slightly surprises me.  I was driving all around Williamson County, along with GOP-leaning sections of Davidson County and a bit of Hickman and Maury Counties today, and I would say that 60% of the yard signs I saw for the gubernatorial race were for Lee.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »

I'm in the Chattanooga media market and so I get to see all the TN political commercials (hilariously, I hardly ever see a GA political ad).

Lee's are by far the most reasonable, even-toned and not resembling a pissing match of who can shout "I stand with Trump", "I stood up to Obama", "my opponent supports [liberal policy]" or "sanctuary cities/illegals" the loudest. Even the other candidates' ads that are reasonable don't really get away from it (like Harwell saying she supports medical marijuana just like Trump). I imagine people are absolutely sick of the attack ads - you see literally no other commercials from 5-8 PM on the main stations and it's been that way for like two months now.

Because the field is so fractured and due to the historic nature of TN GOP voters not being extremists, I could see Lee coming in first with like 25-30% if he's truly resonating. Black is just so off-putting, negative and defensive in her ads, Boyd is getting beaten black and blue, and Harwell is a woman (and TN voters don't like electing women).

ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »

I'm in the Chattanooga media market and so I get to see all the TN political commercials (hilariously, I hardly ever see a GA political ad).

Lee's are by far the most reasonable, even-toned and not resembling a pissing match of who can shout "I stand with Trump", "I stood up to Obama", "my opponent supports [liberal policy]" or "sanctuary cities/illegals" the loudest. Even the other candidates' ads that are reasonable don't really get away from it (like Harwell saying she supports medical marijuana just like Trump). I imagine people are absolutely sick of the attack ads - you see literally no other commercials from 5-8 PM on the main stations and it's been that way for like two months now.

Because the field is so fractured and due to the historic nature of TN GOP voters not being extremists, I could see Lee coming in first with like 25-30% if he's truly resonating. Black is just so off-putting, negative and defensive in her ads, Boyd is getting beaten black and blue, and Harwell is a woman (and TN voters don't like electing women).

Lee's base won't really be the moderates (they will probably prefer Boyd and Harwell), but the rich, but still evangelical, types that are numerous throughout suburban Tennessee.  If he is going to win the primary, he is going to have to clean up in the Nashville and Memphis suburbs (Knoxville's will go to Boyd since he's from there).

It's probably worth saying where all four are from to understand their bases:

Boyd- Knoxville (East Tennessee)
Harwell- Nashville (Middle Tennessee)
Lee- Franklin (Middle Tennessee, S suburbs of Nashville)
Black- Gallatin (Middle Tennessee, NE suburbs of Nashville)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:46:38 AM »

Could a last minute Trump endorsement save Black?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:07 AM »

Republicans in Tennessee have a history of somewhat moderate governors.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:14 AM »

Could a last minute Trump endorsement save Black?
Pence endorsed her on Friday.  However, early voting ended on Saturday and typically accounts for at least half of the vote in Tennessee.  If this poll is anywhere near accurate, Diane would have to dominate the election day vote to have a chance, not just merely win it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »

Any other interesting primaries on Thursday besides Governor?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »

With the feel of change, Karl Dean can definitely win this😁
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »

Any other interesting primaries on Thursday besides Governor?

In East Tennessee, there is a close primary for TN-2, where Duncan is retiring.  I don't live in East Tennessee and don't know a whole lot about it though.  There are several Republicans running for TN-6, but my understanding is that it is safe for State Rep. Judd Matheny.  TN-7 is safe for State Sen. Mark Green.

And, I would be shocked if Fitzhugh upset Dean in the Democratic primary for governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies