2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2016 National Precinct Map on NYT  (Read 6906 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:44:33 PM »

Pretty impressive really.   Too bad they can't make a DRA app out of it or something.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html

Depending how zoomed in/out you are you can see both county and precinct result pop-outs.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »

TIL that the closest Trump precinct from me is a 25 minute drive away without traffic.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:57:58 AM »

I just spent an hour of my life looking at the nuances--where relatives live (all Clinton, but some completely surrounded), how exactly places like OC/Atlanta/PHX sumg left while Macomb county swung right, and other weird discrepancies (most of Provo voted majority McMullin, south Staten Island is GOPpier than I thought, Laie and a random military base are the only two GOP precincts in HI, etc.) It's facinating!

It turns out I live in an 82-12 Clinton district, with the closest Trump precinct 21 minutes away (without traffic-lol) in Hollywood.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:39:07 AM »

An interesting definition of "right next door".

A precinct in southwestern Terrell County is 3 hours and 17 minutes from the nearest Clinton precinct in Fort Stockton. Its neighbor in Pecos County is right next door to the Clinton outpost.

Jill Stein finished 2nd in one of the four precincts in Loving County.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:29:02 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 05:36:50 AM by Torie »

OK, I admit it. It kind of gives me a thrill to stare at the "precinct" lines that I drew. Smiley. It is one of those once in a lifetime experiences. Yes, by far the richest and the poorest precincts (not only in the city, but in the entire area) were the most anti Trump. The NYT gps puts me in the wrong precinct. But then I am sitting right now about 15 feet from the boundary line, which is the middle of an alley, sitting at the dining room table in an apartment above a garage structure.

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »

I live in a Clinton precinct with a Trump precinct right next door.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »

My precinct (wets side of Iowa City) went to Clinton 63%-20% (that seems like a LOT of third party votes...), with the nearest Trump precinct being Kalona (a town that we frequent a lot due to its nice restaurants and brewery!).  It is a 23-minute drive.  My old precinct in Peoria went to Clinton 56%-38%.  Just for fun, I looked at the (stereotypically) richest part of Peoria, Grandview Drive.  It went 54-36% for Trump.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »

My precinct voted 50%-40% for Donald Trump. Looks like Bel Aire is the most politically mixed suburb outside of Wichita. Andover, Derby, Maize, Valley Center, and Park City are all far more conservative.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »

OK, I admit it. It kind of gives me a thrill to stare at the "precinct" lines that I drew. Smiley. It is one of those once in a lifetime experiences. Yes, by far the richest and the poorest precincts (not only in the city, but in the entire area) were the most anti Trump. The NYT gps puts me in the wrong precinct. But then I am sitting right now about 15 feet from the boundary line, which is the middle of an alley, sitting at the dining room table in an apartment above a garage structure.

This is fake news.

The 2016 election was conducted using the pre-Toriemander wards and precincts.

Also, they failed to take your excursion across Underhill Pond. Maybe the homeowner on the split house Clinton, didn't want them traipsing through their living room.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »

My precinct went 62% Trump - 31% Clinton, the complete opposite of the state and county results.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »

Here I am, existing in my perfect, college-educated island of Deep Blue surrounded by rural Georgia Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »

Here I am, existing in my perfect, college-educated island of Deep Blue surrounded by rural Georgia Smiley

I find your politics VERY hard to pin down, LOL.  It almost seems like you're a pro-establishment, anti-populist Republican who is adamant about a Democratic Party that embodies those characteristics and a GOP that doesn't...?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »

I find your politics VERY hard to pin down, LOL.  It almost seems like you're a pro-establishment, anti-populist Republican who is adamant about a Democratic Party that embodies those characteristics and a GOP that doesn't...?

Ideologically, I'm a pretty standard moderate conservative who supports the free market, lower taxes, a robust defense, and an interventionist/internationalist foreign policy.  Stylistically I tend to be attracted to politicians who come across as well-versed in the issues and non-ideological, so there are quite a lot of Republican politicians of which I am not very fond.  As an openly gay man who is not particularly religious, I tend to skew towards the left on social issues and consider myself a cultural liberal (which is why I enjoy living in college towns with other social liberals who regularly vote Democrat).  I voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and have mildly warmed-up to Trump over his first couple years and office, but I'm unsure how I will vote in 2020.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »

Clinton won my precinct by 12%. So much for "butbutbut WCW Trump buh."
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

I don't think I knew this already: Jill Stein came second in my precinct! 85 Clinton - 2 Stein - 1 Trump (those are votes, not percentages).
cvparty
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »

it wont load for me someone help
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »

Ideologically, I'm a pretty standard moderate conservative who supports the free market, lower taxes, a robust defense, and an interventionist/internationalist foreign policy.  Stylistically I tend to be attracted to politicians who come across as well-versed in the issues and non-ideological, so there are quite a lot of Republican politicians of which I am not very fond.  As an openly gay man who is not particularly religious, I tend to skew towards the left on social issues and consider myself a cultural liberal (which is why I enjoy living in college towns with other social liberals who regularly vote Democrat).  I voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and have mildly warmed-up to Trump over his first couple years and office, but I'm unsure how I will vote in 2020.

how could u endorse so many anti-LGBT politicians like Kemp tho???
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »

also is there any way we could put this into DRA ourselves? lol
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »

It will happen in due time
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »

!!!
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »

So is the 2012 + 2016 DRA results scheduled to be made separately view-able at a later date?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »

I already knew this since Dallas County has interactive precinct results but I think I have said that my parents are separated, and Trump won in my mom's precinct 56-40 and Clinton won in my dad's 54-41.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »

My precinct voted for Hilary 85-9, because of course it did. Tongue UCLA was 88-7.

No precinct in the area I usually frequent gave Hillary less than 75%. If that's not a bubble I don't know what is.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »

Oh, well I guess I just quote my post from the other thread Tongue

There already is a national precinct map, and that one also includes 2008 and 2012. I wonder whether there also is a 2004 precinct map.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dives/creating-a-national-precinct-map/

Anyway, I've certainly been in a Trump precinct. When I was in NYC last year I visited someone who lived in one of the Trump precincts in Harrison, Westchester County. Maybe I randomly drove/walked through another Trump precinct in NYC.

Want to add that since I visited NYC (and stayed in Manhattan) I obviously spent 99% of my time in Clinton precincts Tongue.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »

There aren't any Trump precincts I regularly visit though the precinct I work in was only won by Hillary 50-42.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies