Survey Atlasia: Do You Support the Veto, Override and Redraft Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Survey Atlasia: Do You Support the Veto, Override and Redraft Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If this were to be passed by Congress and sent to the Regions, how you would vote?
Lincoln: Aye

Lincoln: Nay

Fremont: Aye

Fremont: Nay

Southern: Aye

Southern: Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Survey Atlasia: Do You Support the Veto, Override and Redraft Amendment  (Read 207 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=296784.0

This basically just cleans up the text of Article III, and makes explicit what is already an implied power in Article IV.

The President already has the ability to introduce legislation into Congress in Article IV. Heretofore, Presidents have done about 2 or 3 redrafts on average per President, and it functions by way of the President vetoing a bill and then offering a new text under their Article VI power and then in lieu of an override (Which they could still proceed with if Congress wants), Congress passes this "redrafted" version.

The amendment in question creates an explicit process for this in the Constitution (The third Constitution had such before the reset, but didn't allow the President to offer legislation like the Fourth does) and leaves the exact details of implementation and organization to the rules of each chamber. It is being considered as part of a joint resolution containing rules changes to both chambers rules (And yes, each chamber is only voting on their specific section not each others, already thought of that Tongue).

Redrafts are rather infrequent, and Congress retains the ability under the process created here to reopen debate if they so desire, or to proceed with an override as oppose to considering the redraft.

Background
The absence of explicit language on these matters stemmed from a desire towards simplified texts and avoidance of "Muh Legalism" which was big issues for a certain crew just prior to the reset (Atlasforum types). The removal of an explicit set procedures from the rules in late 2014 on redrafts was motivated because "it was already laid down step by step in the wordy Third Constitution" and thus unnecessary. With the 4th Constitution this wordy provision was removed and replaced with a short clause allowing for the introduction of legislation generally. However the chamber rules were largely ported over unchanged or barely changed at all from the overly condensed Nix Rules from late 2014, so administration of these few and far between redrafts has been at the discretion of the PPT/Speaker ever since.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »

This seems a commonsense change to me, however, I would like to point out that among the prerogatives of the Speaker is to 'change the rules' per se in order to get things done. For example, there's the bill where "America" was substituted for "Atlasia". I see no reason the speaker couldn't simple motion for an up and down vote on the amended version and have that motion seconded with no opposition to pass the bill. I've done that in the past.

Rather than having to do the whole veto-override thing, this would also avoid having to revote on an already passed bill with cosmetic changes.

Anyways, I support the changes and they seem fine.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »

This seems a commonsense change to me, however, I would like to point out that among the prerogatives of the Speaker is to 'change the rules' per se in order to get things done. For example, there's the bill where "America" was substituted for "Atlasia". I see no reason the speaker couldn't simple motion for an up and down vote on the amended version and have that motion seconded with no opposition to pass the bill. I've done that in the past.

Rather than having to do the whole veto-override thing, this would also avoid having to revote on an already passed bill with cosmetic changes.

Anyways, I support the changes and they seem fine.

Well on the America/Atlasia thing that was doubly unfortunate because the Speaker could have corrected that indeed. The problem was that for the number of opportunities it could have been fixed it was not and it was put on my desk in such fashion.

Most redrafts deal with more substantative issues than a mere typo.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=296784.0

Make sure to review for any issues while there is still a chance to amend in the House!!!!
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »

I would be on board with supporting the changes.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »

I think the president of Atlastia should have every power the American one does in real life.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies