SC GOV 2018- megathread... James Smith (D) vs Henry McMaster (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:21:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC GOV 2018- megathread... James Smith (D) vs Henry McMaster (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: SC GOV 2018- megathread... James Smith (D) vs Henry McMaster (R)  (Read 5906 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »

Most recent governor related news:

A judge has blocked McMaster's plan to cut Planned Parenthood funding.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2018/08/29/planned-parenthood-wins-temporary-injunction/1131170002/

The RGA has released an attack ad on Smith.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2018-08-29/rga-ad-critical-of-south-carolina-governor-nominee-on-taxes

and also I guess if you wanted to know Smith's energy positions there's this thing: http://blog.cleanenergy.org/2018/08/29/where-the-2018-candidates-stand-on-energy-democratic-nominee-for-south-carolina-governor-james-smith/

weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »

As it turns out, that "tax increase"? That was for funding infrastructure, and was backed by both Democrats and Republicans. It increased gas taxes by 2 cents per gallon per year, which basically just seemed like a normal fluctuation.

Being honest I'm not surprised, our roads are a mess but people don't wanna pay "muh taxes" even if it literally is indistinguishable.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

This is one race I'm really interested in.  Wish there was more news on it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »

Jim Hodges (D) won in 1998.  That was 20 years ago.

SC is actually trending Democratic somewhat, moreso than MS, but no one seems to pick that up.  The white voters moving to SC from other states are a more elastic electorate than the MS white vote.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »

Jim Hodges (D) won in 1998.  That was 20 years ago.

SC is actually trending Democratic somewhat, moreso than MS, but no one seems to pick that up.  The white voters moving to SC from other states are a more elastic electorate than the MS white vote.
The problem is that the Charlotte suburbs in the Upcountry behave more like the Bible Belt version of the Wisconsin WOW counties than they do Cobb/Gwinnett, the OC, or NOVA.  Not to mention there's enough rural vote that Dems have to figure out how to cut into.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2018, 09:19:35 PM »

SC is actually trending Democratic somewhat, moreso than MS, but no one seems to pick that up.  The white voters moving to SC from other states are a more elastic electorate than the MS white vote.
The problem is that the Charlotte suburbs in the Upcountry behave more like the Bible Belt version of the Wisconsin WOW counties than they do Cobb/Gwinnett, the OC, or NOVA.  Not to mention there's enough rural vote that Dems have to figure out how to cut into.

It'll help if Republicans ever give them another assist by nominating someone named Nimrata Randhawa again.  But Henry McMaster? No dice.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »

It'll help if Republicans ever give them another assist by nominating someone named Nimrata Randhawa again.  But Henry McMaster? No dice.

I don’t think Smith will win, but I think he’ll come within 5-8% and we’ll see a bunch of #BlueSC hot takes. 
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »

From a couple days ago... Smith was called to serve with the National Guard in West Columbia.

http://www.wistv.com/story/39071444/sc-gubernatorial-candidate-called-for-army-national-guard-duty-as-hurricane-florence-approaches

He's suspended his campaign for a while as he serves in the emergency response efforts.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2018, 12:25:55 PM »

Jim Hodges (D) won in 1998.  That was 20 years ago.

SC is actually trending Democratic somewhat, moreso than MS, but no one seems to pick that up.  The white voters moving to SC from other states are a more elastic electorate than the MS white vote.

I wouldn't be surprised by a North Carolina 2008-type result from South Carolina around 2024 or 2028 that shocks a lot of people and after which South Carolina is seen as a lean-R swing state like North Carolina is now. But there's a fair amount of time still before that becomes reality.
SCNCmod

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »

Granted its far easier for a Dem to win Governor races in NC than SC (4 of the last 5 NC Governors are Dems)..vs.. (26 of last 30 years -or- 4 of the last 5 SC Governors are Republicans)

That said- this year is very different only because of the specific matchup in the SC election (Smith is a strong candidate who comes off as Moderate & very capable vs McMaster who is perceived by many as an incompetent buffoon).   IMO you can almost bank on James Smith being the next Governor of SC (I would put his chances at 75%+).
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »

Clyburn is helping Smith extensively with strategy, and some other D's are coming down soon.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article218233055.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »

You forgot the decimal. His odds are closer to 7.5%.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »

I give Smith about 10-15% chances of winning right now, but new polling would help me really decide.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »

Have there been any polls for this race, or any other indicators for where it currently stands?
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »

Have there been any polls for this race, or any other indicators for where it currently stands?
there's been 2 polls, but they're both internals. It averages out to McMaster +7.5 right now.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »

Granted its far easier for a Dem to win Governor races in NC than SC (4 of the last 5 NC Governors are Dems)..vs.. (26 of last 30 years -or- 4 of the last 5 SC Governors are Republicans)

That said- this year is very different only because of the specific matchup in the SC election (Smith is a strong candidate who comes off as Moderate & very capable vs McMaster who is perceived by many as an incompetent buffoon).   IMO you can almost bank on James Smith being the next Governor of SC (I would put his chances at 75%+).

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »

Peak Atlas right there.
SCNCmod

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »

Peak Atlas right there.

I will gladly accept all of the criticism and jokes my 75% is getting (which would be warranted with almost any other match-up in any other year)... and I will certainly say I read the race all wrong if McMaster wins
... so long as I also get credit when Smith wins for seeing the writing on the wall of where the electorate will end up come election day (rather than just a lucky guess).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »

Peak Atlas right there.

I will gladly accept all of the criticism and jokes my 75% is getting (which would be warranted with almost any other match-up in any other year)... and I will certainly say I read the race all wrong if McMaster wins
... so long as I also get credit when Smith wins for seeing the writing on the wall of where the electorate will end up come election day (rather than just a lucky guess).
What are you banking your prediction on?  You hearing word from the ground of your neighbor to the south?
SCNCmod

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »

I guess if rumors that Lindsay Graham is aiming for Attorney General are correct... Graham will likely be campaigning for McMaster pretty hard. If McMaster were to lose- any chance of a Graham Attorney General will go up in smoke (since Smith would appoint his replacement).

Maybe far fetched... but this could be one reason the President wants to wait until after the election to fire Rosenstein (so he could see all of the options available- and not prematurely screw himself out of a Senator)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

I guess if rumors that Lindsay Graham is aiming for Attorney General are correct... Graham will likely be campaigning for McMaster pretty hard. If McMaster were to lose- any chance of a Graham Attorney General will go up in smoke (since Smith would appoint his replacement).

Maybe far fetched... but this could be one reason the President wants to wait until after the election to fire Rosenstein (so he could see all of the options available- and not prematurely screw himself out of a Senator)

Linds would be the most fabulous Attorney General ever.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »

Why would Graham want to be an AG for a possible one term President instead of being a lifer in the Senate?
SCNCmod

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »

James Smith 1st Governor Ad (he has another one that started airing last week that I will try to find and post).  I will also try to find video to post for McMaster Ads.

Photo of James Smith & his Lt Governor running mate Mandy Norell:
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »

SC has too many retirees moving in and the black population is decreasing. MS will take a while(maybe a few decades), but it will be competitive when 43-45 % of population is black. They will be the first after Georgia.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies