House Democrats Create Medicare for All Caucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:19:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Democrats Create Medicare for All Caucus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House Democrats Create Medicare for All Caucus  (Read 2710 times)
VladimirLinen
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »

Today, a group of 60 House Democrats, led by Pramila Jayapal (WA), Debbie Dingell (MI), and Keith Ellison (MN) have announced the formation of a Congressional Caucus that promotes the idea of establishing a universal healthcare system in the US. The argument is being made that with 63% of Americans in favor of such a system, the highest level of support for the policy in its history, now is the time to vote on it and make it into a law.

More Democrats are expected to join the initial 60 in the weeks to come.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »

YES! Perfect, we need more caucuses like this, now its time to see where they all stand.

I love the idea of caucuses, as it gives us a good idea of where they actually stand on issues, because this is their own decision+being accepted by the caucus. You cant champion progressive values, and then vote like a Blue Dog, and expect to get into the Progressive Caucus. The labour caucus is one of my favorites, but this one is great too.

Also, 60 members to start off with? Not bad.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Well we definitely are getting this after 2020. The president would veto and there are Republican majorities in both chamber.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »

60, eh?

This will definitely be what the 2020 nominee runs on
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »

Great news! It's about time.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

Great step, but I'd prefer the title being less specific- "medicare for all" is just one way to achieve a universal healthcare system. You could have a public option or a system which isn't exactly single payer but also not multi payer but guarantees healthcare (such as we have in Israel). Dems should be open to ideas- I'd prefer it named "Universal Healthcare Caucus".
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »

The “Medicare for All Caucus” should be the entire Democratic Party. There’s no excuse for anything short of that.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »

Great step, but I'd prefer the title being less specific- "medicare for all" is just one way to achieve a universal healthcare system. You could have a public option or a system which isn't exactly single payer but also not multi payer but guarantees healthcare (such as we have in Israel). Dems should be open to ideas- I'd prefer it named "Universal Healthcare Caucus".

At the very least it's a good negotiating position.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »

I hate the way "Medicare for All" gets overused. I agree it should be the "Universal Healthcare" caucus. A theoretical UHC system would be more like "Medicaid for All"
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »

Don’t disagree. Not every country with UHC has single payer, and I’m open to ideas
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »

Neat. I hope they could figure out a way to make it work and to make it marketable.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

FFs. For the record, I'd be fine with a non for profit mutli-payer health care system but that isn't an easy sell to the public. No average Joe is interested in hearing some nuanced and wonky health care system and "Medicare for All" just sells well since they approve of medicare as it is.  
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »

Don’t disagree. Not every country with UHC has single payer, and I’m open to ideas

"Medicare for All" messages the best.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »

US Medicare For All is no pie in the sky idea. Taiwan actually went with it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Taiwan
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »

Has there been a list released of who is in this caucus?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »

"Medicare for All" messages the best.

It’s certainly the simplest message, and the easiest for people to get.

Whether that’s the best policy I’m not sold on yet. But I’m also not sold that it is a bad policy!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:55 PM »

"Medicare for all won't bring Medicare for all"
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »

Having a Universal Healthcare caucus would be redundant, because there are only 5 people in the democratic party who aren't in favor of something in that range. You might as well say "Democratic caucus 2" at that point.

Don't like M4A, argue the merits of the M4A caucus' existence, not about phrasing. Ambivalent about it, same thing.

Unrelated, but to anyone complaining about Medicare for all being called Medicare for all, American political linguistics have been garbage for decades and no amount of re-appropriation of words is going to change that. Notable examples of silly Americanisms are "liberal" meaning left or left-leaning, and the existence of the phrase "family values". Once Americans have decided that they want a certain phrase or word to reference a specific thing, you're pretty much screwed if you don't like it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 05:19:20 AM »

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 05:46:09 AM »

Neoliberal big pharma sell-out cuck1@!@#!31!!1$!#@@!!#@

But seriously, universal healthcare pretty much is a must. It can be done in a more market-friendly way than single-payer though. Just look at the Dutch or the Swiss Smiley.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »

Has there been a list released of who is in this caucus?

Full list:

They also said they expect more folks to join, so don't freak out if someone you think should be on there is not on there.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »

"Medicare for All" is a great name because it's a specific commitment. This is easier to distinguish from the GOP's spurious commitment to "universal access" (i.e. health care for anyone who can afford it).

Let's not get into another situation where we elect people who promise us "universal health care" but instead burden us with a sick joke like the Affordable Care Act.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies