Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers  (Read 1307 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-inflation-rates-20180713-story.html
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »

I really wish Janet Yellen was still here, how she stewarded good times.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »

Powell has largely hued to Yellen's benchmark rate raising schedule, so I struggle to think of how she would have improved this situation.

The real central question to this article is buried halfway in and receives little coverage. Why are wages more or less stagnant when unemployment is hovering around 4%? Inflationary concerns would be more muted were wage gains outpacing inflationary pressure, but as it stands, that isn't presently the case. Possible that it's due to fewer entrepreneurial businesses being created as opposed to historical averages? Possible that it's due to decline in union membership? Possible also that productivity growth has lagged compared to past recoveries?

And really, from a policymaking perspective, we should be more interested in which sectors are experiencing wage growth in excess of inflation.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »

I really wish Janet Yellen was still here, how she stewarded good times.

Powell is not significantly different from Yellen. The Fed pick could have been *much* worse
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »

Powell has largely hued to Yellen's benchmark rate raising schedule, so I struggle to think of how she would have improved this situation.

The real central question to this article is buried halfway in and receives little coverage. Why are wages more or less stagnant when unemployment is hovering around 4%? Inflationary concerns would be more muted were wage gains outpacing inflationary pressure, but as it stands, that isn't presently the case. Possible that it's due to fewer entrepreneurial businesses being created as opposed to historical averages? Possible that it's due to decline in union membership? Possible also that productivity growth has lagged compared to past recoveries?

And really, from a policymaking perspective, we should be more interested in which sectors are experiencing wage growth in excess of inflation.
This is an excellent analysis. Inflation has been low for most of the 21st century, the real question is why is wage growth so low. And I think you touch on why as well. Awesome post!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »

This is an excellent analysis. Inflation has been low for most of the 21st century, the real question is why is wage growth so low. And I think you touch on why as well. Awesome post!
I would say that companies are blocking wage growth, mainly due to little yet innefectual unions and lack of worker right. With not as much disposable income as expected the consumer can’t support these new firms. Or we could blame the end of net neutrality, stifling investment by making startups online riskier to invest in.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:52 PM »

The newest argument to explain this is that monopsony is a much bigger factor than anybody previously realized.  The Brookings Institute has done some interesting research into this. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »

From the article, the tariffs have had a lot to do with the rise in inflation.  Not much that the Federal Reserve should do about that at this point.  Hopefully the tariffs won't cause a persistent rise in prices (which is actually the technical definition of 'inflation') but once they've worked through the economy, they won't cause ongoing price increases.

If it's just a one time increase in prices, the Federal Reserve would be wise to not act.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2018, 03:18:01 PM by Langley ➡️ The Hague »

The newest argument to explain this is that monopsony is a much bigger factor than anybody previously realized.  The Brookings Institute has done some interesting research into this.  

This is a great point and the Brookings brief was excellent. To my understanding, the fundamental gist is that, because of monopsonic power, we're seeing fewer new entrants to the markets and, because those firms had historically been wage growth drivers, we're presently seeing stagnant wages. The policy prescription to this, I would think, is to decrease regulatory capture that's made it more challenging for newer businesses to compete against the established entities.

Edit:I would also add to this that the severe decline in robust antitrust enforcement also impacts the barriers to entry for new firms and causes the new firms that DO spring up to be purchased by the larger firms, snuffing out the potential for competition and, thus, wage growth
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »

From the article, the tariffs have had a lot to do with the rise in inflation.  Not much that the Federal Reserve should do about that at this point.  Hopefully the tariffs won't cause a persistent rise in prices (which is actually the technical definition of 'inflation') but once they've worked through the economy, they won't cause ongoing price increases.

If it's just a one time increase in prices, the Federal Reserve would be wise to not act.

Thankfully Powell isn’t a moron and knows this
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »

The newest argument to explain this is that monopsony is a much bigger factor than anybody previously realized.  The Brookings Institute has done some interesting research into this.  

This is a great point and the Brookings brief was excellent. To my understanding, the fundamental gist is that, because of monopsonic power, we're seeing fewer new entrants to the markets and, because those firms had historically been wage growth drivers, we're presently seeing stagnant wages. The policy prescription to this, I would think, is to decrease regulatory capture that's made it more challenging for newer businesses to compete against the established entities.

Edit:I would also add to this that the severe decline in robust antitrust enforcement also impacts the barriers to entry for new firms and causes the new firms that DO spring up to be purchased by the larger firms, snuffing out the potential for competition and, thus, wage growth

I gather the 'non-compete' agreements when a person leaves an employer are also a surprisingly large factor as well, as they prevent a person from using their position to bid for a higher paying job.  I believe the lack of smaller firms in different states where these 'non-compete' agreements wouldn't take effect are the problem.

In addition to anti-trust, I think these 'non-compete' agreements need much more thorough scrutiny as they are essentially a form of restraint of trade, as well as completely tilting the negotiating field to the employer.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »

It is just part of the culture of corruption.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »

but muh great economy Smiley Smiley Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 05:41:23 AM »

I gather the 'non-compete' agreements when a person leaves an employer are also a surprisingly large factor as well, as they prevent a person from using their position to bid for a higher paying job.  I believe the lack of smaller firms in different states where these 'non-compete' agreements wouldn't take effect are the problem.

In addition to anti-trust, I think these 'non-compete' agreements need much more thorough scrutiny as they are essentially a form of restraint of trade, as well as completely tilting the negotiating field to the employer.

Non-compete are non-enforceable outside of a very large muted set of circumstances.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »

Non-compete are non-enforceable outside of a very large muted set of circumstances.

Do you have some extra reading on this? I know legality varies by location but I was under the impression these were much more common than you claim. In any event, aren't many employees forced to sign non-competes as part of their contract whether or not they are enforceable? This is something I imagine the average worker wouldn't have the knowledge to know is unenforceable.

Here is a paper looking at intra-firm "no poaching" agreements, e.g., if you work at one McDonalds, corporate policy dictates other McDonalds can't try to poach you. I haven't read it but it was discussed in a recent Vox podcast.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »

The tariffs already have an effect.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

I'm familiar this is the case in Canada, I'm not certain it's the case in the United States.  Outside of that, as was written, I'm not certain that people in the U.S who sign these non-compete agreements are aware they aren't enforceable, and even if they aren't enforceable legally, the main problem is having the previous employer bring down the very high priced lawyers in to the situation.   So, they may not be enforceable legally, but, in most cases, they are likely completely enforceable as a practical matter.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

I gather the 'non-compete' agreements when a person leaves an employer are also a surprisingly large factor as well, as they prevent a person from using their position to bid for a higher paying job.  I believe the lack of smaller firms in different states where these 'non-compete' agreements wouldn't take effect are the problem.

I'm familiar this is the case in Canada, I'm not certain it's the case in the United States.  Outside of that, as was written, I'm not certain that people in the U.S who sign these non-compete agreements are aware they aren't enforceable, and even if they aren't enforceable legally, the main problem is having the previous employer bring down the very high priced lawyers in to the situation.   So, they may not be enforceable legally, but, in most cases, they are likely completely enforceable as a practical matter.

Depends which state. California views non-compete agreements as per se unenforceable, but California is fairly out of step with the rest of the country on this point. Most states views such agreements as enforceable as long as they serve legitimate business interests/are reasonable or other similar squishy standards, which create enough room for interpretation to make them a strong threat even if a court would in theory throw them out.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thats actually the invisible grifting hand of MAGA-nomics
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length