What is your position on abortion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:28:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is your position on abortion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: The Abortion Question
Personally pro-life, politically pro-choice

Personally pro-choice, politically pro-choice

Personally pro-life, politically pro-life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: What is your position on abortion?  (Read 1247 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:30 AM »

I have some trouble with the notion that if on favors restricting late term abortions absent circumstances that threaten in a serious way the physical health of the mother (which is my position), that makes one "pro choice." It is an intermediate position between pro choice and pro life. So I never respond to polls framing the question in this manner.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 07:55:17 AM »

Reluctantly pro choice personally, pro choice politically.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 08:03:51 AM »

I am oro-choice, but I think that abortion is a last resort. Preventing unwanted pregnancies is always better than drastic measures that provoke psychological impact in women. I think every woman has the right to make decisions concerning her life and her body. So, in my opinion, this right must be guaranteed by law and the State must encourage prevention by promoting better sex education and providing access to contraceptive methods.  
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 09:39:54 AM »

Voted the first option.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm "personally pro-life," but I have serious moral qualms with abortion in general, and I find some extreme left-wingers on the issue's views and, especially, their rhetoric on things like partial birth abortion to be nothing short of horrific.  I think it should be universally agreed that abortion, when it occurs, is almost always a very unfortunate thing to have happened.

Politically/practically, I have issue with creating a law that forces a human being to remove something/someone (living or not) from her body.  I accept if people think that is simplistic and a crappy basis for a view on abortion, but whatever.  I think every woman has to make that choice herself, and I believe that the vast majority understand that a future human life is being exterminated; I don't particularly care to jump on the shaming train after someone - for whatever reason - makes that nearly impossible choice.

So, at the end of the day, I do not favor overturning Roe v. Wade, and I think a world where abortion is 100% illegal in all 50 states would lead to way more problems than it would fix.  I support a cutoff somewhere making late term abortions illegal except for the usual exceptions.

Did you mean to say that "I have issue with creating a law that forces a human being to not remove something/someone (living or not) from her body"

Yes, thanks for the catch.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

Free, safe, on demand, without apology.

This!
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »

Personally and politically pro-life. One of the few legitimate roles of government is to protect life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If you truly believe that abortion is the taking of a life, I don't understand how you can not see a legitimate governmental role in ensuring that the taking of innocent life doesn't occur.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »

All abortion is murder. If people were decent and only had sex with one partner as God intended, then this wouldn’t be an issue. Children are being butchered due to the carelessness of adults.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »

Personally and politically pro-choice, but not pro-Roe v. Wade.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »

It’s complicated.

I do not agree with abortion whatsoever and think it’s a terrible practice, but I also recognize there are some situations in which it’s necessary. I wholeheartedly oppose abortion without a reason (sex-selective for example). I think also it should be allowed only during the first trimester with the only exception afterward to save the life of the mother. I also support reducing the number of abortions performed using methods like better access to contraception and better sex education, rather than overturning Roe or anything like that.

If you legitimately think that it is a good practice, I’d for sure question your moral judgement.

I disagree with probably the majority of self-described pro-lifers on here in that “pro-life” should extend to your whole life and not just the time you are in the womb, through universal healthcare, opposition to the death penalty, and decent standards of living.

I think the death penalty is justified under certain aggravating circumstances (felony murder and terrorism), but otherwise I basically agree with this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies