What is your position on abortion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is your position on abortion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: The Abortion Question
Personally pro-life, politically pro-choice

Personally pro-choice, politically pro-choice

Personally pro-life, politically pro-life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: What is your position on abortion?  (Read 1246 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »

Discuss.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »

You forgot personally pro-choice, politically pro-life.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »

It's interesting though, are there any examples for political figures with these views? I mean, Casey Jr. and Kaine (I think) are examples for the opposite, but I can't think of a politician who's politically pro-life and personally pro-choice. Though, I guess many Republicans (for example, Trump) are that in private.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »

It's interesting though, are there any examples for political figures with these views? I mean, Casey Jr. and Kaine (I think) are examples for the opposite, but I can't think of a politician who's politically pro-life and personally pro-choice. Though, I guess many Republicans (for example, Trump) are that in private.
Pretty much every Republican who knocks us their mistress.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »

Voted the first option.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm "personally pro-life," but I have serious moral qualms with abortion in general, and I find some extreme left-wingers on the issue's views and, especially, their rhetoric on things like partial birth abortion to be nothing short of horrific.  I think it should be universally agreed that abortion, when it occurs, is almost always a very unfortunate thing to have happened.

Politically/practically, I have issue with creating a law that forces a human being to remove something/someone (living or not) from her body.  I accept if people think that is simplistic and a crappy basis for a view on abortion, but whatever.  I think every woman has to make that choice herself, and I believe that the vast majority understand that a future human life is being exterminated; I don't particularly care to jump on the shaming train after someone - for whatever reason - makes that nearly impossible choice.

So, at the end of the day, I do not favor overturning Roe v. Wade, and I think a world where abortion is 100% illegal in all 50 states would lead to way more problems than it would fix.  I support a cutoff somewhere making late term abortions illegal except for the usual exceptions.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »

Indeed, how could you forget about Donald Trump, Scott DesJarlais, Newt Gingrich, etc.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »

Openly? No.

Behind closed doors I'm sure there are plenty of business oriented Republicans who go along to get along. It's not too much of a stretch to think a business man from Chattanooga or wherever might keep his opinions to himself to avoid difficulty in the primaries.

While the ones who go back on their conviction are utterly vile hypocrites, I'm sure the position is quite a bit more common than that. Some of those folks held the position before they got their mistresses pregnant.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »

Oh to answer the OP, personally and politically pro-life obviously.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »

Generally pro-life.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »

Generally pro-life. On the one side you risk taking away womens' bodily autonomy. On the other side you risk legalizing the wholesale slaughter of babies. I think I will take my risk with the former. With that being said I prefer some sort of compromise on the issue where very early term pregnancy can still be terminated. But I think the legalization of late term abortion will be seen as a moral abomination by later generations.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Depends on how you define the terms

I would support a ban after 20 weeks with the exception of , if going through the pregnancy would threaten the life of the mother.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »

Voted the first option.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm "personally pro-life," but I have serious moral qualms with abortion in general, and I find some extreme left-wingers on the issue's views and, especially, their rhetoric on things like partial birth abortion to be nothing short of horrific.  I think it should be universally agreed that abortion, when it occurs, is almost always a very unfortunate thing to have happened.

Politically/practically, I have issue with creating a law that forces a human being to remove something/someone (living or not) from her body.  I accept if people think that is simplistic and a crappy basis for a view on abortion, but whatever.  I think every woman has to make that choice herself, and I believe that the vast majority understand that a future human life is being exterminated; I don't particularly care to jump on the shaming train after someone - for whatever reason - makes that nearly impossible choice.

So, at the end of the day, I do not favor overturning Roe v. Wade, and I think a world where abortion is 100% illegal in all 50 states would lead to way more problems than it would fix.  I support a cutoff somewhere making late term abortions illegal except for the usual exceptions.

A reasonable and nuanced view with which I agree.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »

Strongly pro-choice, both politically and personally.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »

I'm personally and politically pro-choice. However, I think late term abortion should only be pursued in certain situations (ex. the baby has horrible birth defects.) Late term abortion providers seem to agree with me, luckily, and do not provide abortions to anyone who wants one.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »

Personally pro-life, politically pro-life.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »

It’s complicated.

I do not agree with abortion whatsoever and think it’s a terrible practice, but I also recognize there are some situations in which it’s necessary. I wholeheartedly oppose abortion without a reason (sex-selective for example). I think also it should be allowed only during the first trimester with the only exception afterward to save the life of the mother. I also support reducing the number of abortions performed using methods like better access to contraception and better sex education, rather than overturning Roe or anything like that.

If you legitimately think that it is a good practice, I’d for sure question your moral judgement.

I disagree with probably the majority of self-described pro-lifers on here in that “pro-life” should extend to your whole life and not just the time you are in the womb, through universal healthcare, opposition to the death penalty, and decent standards of living.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »

Strongly pro-choice, both politically and personally.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »

It’s complicated.

I do not agree with abortion whatsoever and think it’s a terrible practice, but I also recognize there are some situations in which it’s necessary. I wholeheartedly oppose abortion without a reason (sex-selective for example). I think also it should be allowed only during the first trimester with the only exception afterward to save the life of the mother. I also support reducing the number of abortions performed using methods like better access to contraception and better sex education, rather than overturning Roe or anything like that.

If you legitimately think that it is a good practice, I’d for sure question your moral judgement.

I disagree with probably the majority of self-described pro-lifers on here in that “pro-life” should extend to your whole life and not just the time you are in the womb, through universal healthcare, opposition to the death penalty, and decent standards of living.

I agree wholeheartedly with this- but, I must say:

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

This is a damn good idea. I might turn to your side. It could potentially make God's Chosen Country of America move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!!!!!!!!!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »

Voted the first option.

Did you mean to say that "I have issue with creating a law that forces a human being to not remove something/someone (living or not) from her body"
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »

Completey accepting of it until the fetus becomes sentient.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »

Pro-choice for both, would probably favor a ban after 20 weeks unless mother's life is in danger, etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 05:05:10 AM »

the first option for the reasons RINO Tom said
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 06:16:25 AM »

“Personally pro-life, politically pro-choice”.

I think abortions are repulsive and should be discouraged. However, outlawing abortions would cause more harm than good.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies