Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:20:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed)  (Read 852 times)
Galaxie

« on: July 15, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

It is clear to myself, and as it appears much of this Congress, that Kentucky is much deserving of the distinction of one of our United States. To them, I offer my support, and my vote.

I must ask this chamber, however, if there should be a minimum set of guidelines a territory such as Kentucky should meet in order to be granted statehood? My fear is that by admitting a worthy state such as Kentucky, this Congress will be greeted with a number of copy-cat territories of much less merit that wish to be states -- flooding our Congress with bills and wasting our time.

If there are delegates in favor of such a system of merit to allow a territory to petition for statehood, I would love to be a part of the creation of such a bill.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I stand for the admission of Kentucky into this great union of states, but much like my fellow Hamiltonians must stand against the amendment proposed by the Gentleman from New York City & Westchester. To prevent undue conflict in this nation, may the people of Kentucky decide for themselves on the matter of slavery.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies