Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 (Passed)  (Read 809 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
« edited: July 20, 2018, 01:13:40 PM by Lumine »

From the Sponsor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:20:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

As I have stated previously, I am fully in support of the efforts of the peoples of the territories to organize themselves into states, and have supported the efforts of the people of Kentucky to become a state, among others.  I strongly urge my fellow Deputies and Patriots to vote in favor of this Act, as the people of Kentucky have proven themselves to want statehood and the ability to govern themselves.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

It is clear to myself, and as it appears much of this Congress, that Kentucky is much deserving of the distinction of one of our United States. To them, I offer my support, and my vote.

I must ask this chamber, however, if there should be a minimum set of guidelines a territory such as Kentucky should meet in order to be granted statehood? My fear is that by admitting a worthy state such as Kentucky, this Congress will be greeted with a number of copy-cat territories of much less merit that wish to be states -- flooding our Congress with bills and wasting our time.

If there are delegates in favor of such a system of merit to allow a territory to petition for statehood, I would love to be a part of the creation of such a bill.

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:38 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

After spending much time discussing the proposed Kentucky statehood with Americans living in proposed Kentucky, I know this act must pass.  This is why I urge the national assembly to support this act proposed by the delegate from Kentucky.

I urge my fellow deputy to do what is right for Kentucky and allow it to be its own state/

I yield

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I propose the following amendment:

The practice of slavery will not be allowed within the state created from the County of Kentucky.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I urge that the National Assembly refer the discussion of slavery, as with all other such substantive matters, to the Constitutional Convention of Kentucky.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

The addition of the star of Kentucky to our federal constellation may with justice be greeted as an event worthy of our unanimous assent and celebration. I vote that the petition of the County of Kentucky for admission as the fourteenth State of this Union be approved, and recommend all Whigs to follow so.

I yield my time to the chair.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

It appears that the Gentleman from New York City & Westchester fails to recognize that the will of the people of Kentucky should come first in addressing their own affairs, such as the institution of slavery, not the will of a single man from New York.  As such, I wish to bestow a title upon the Gentleman, King Jay the First, as he has proven throughout his time in this Assembly to believe that he has the power to trample upon the right of the citizens of this nation to govern themselves and their own affairs, much as a tyrant would.  In the interests of defending the right of the citizens of Kentucky to govern their own affairs, I urge my fellow Deputies and Patriots to vote against the Gentleman from New York City & Westchester's amendment, and to vote in favor of the unamended legislation.

I yield.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »

Mr Speaker,

There seems little reason to oppose this. I support the bill fully in its original form, and ask my deputies that the amendment offered by the gentleman from New York City and Westchester be defeated. Thank you.

I yield.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise in support of this act and in opposition to Mr. Jay's amendment. I feel compelled to reiterate that slavery is a terrible evil and a scourge on the Earth. And yet, if we sought to abolish it in one state, what is to stop this government from imposing it on another?

The admittance of Kentucky into the Union should be a joyous occasion not marred by the bitter and partisan fight over that wretched institution.

I yield.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

If now is not the time to have the fight over the horror of slavery than when is? When our great Republic has 25 states? 50? 75? We must address this issue while our nation is still small and new and maleable. I will not give up the fight to end slavery simply because my opponents believe it to be politically expedient to ignore the issue for another day.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

On this question I defer to the wisdom of the gentleman from New Hampshire, that the proposed amendment by Mr. Jay is neither conducive to the end he purports to seek, nor compatible with our theory of the rights of States. I vote that the amendment be defeated, and recommend all Whigs to follow according to their conscience.

I yield my time to the chair.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »

Mr Speaker,

I would like to echo the remarks made by the gentlemen from New Hampshire and from Massachusetts; they have shown that eloquence and brevity are not mutually exclusive.

I would support the defeat of the Amendment, and support Kentucky’s legal petition for statehood.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I do not wish to waste the time of the Assembly further by repeating the remarks of my colleagues, I believe as they do on this matter of national importance. For this reason, I implore the Republican caucus to vote Aye on this matter, and Nay on the amendment, as states should have the right of choice.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I stand for the admission of Kentucky into this great union of states, but much like my fellow Hamiltonians must stand against the amendment proposed by the Gentleman from New York City & Westchester. To prevent undue conflict in this nation, may the people of Kentucky decide for themselves on the matter of slavery.

I yield.
Unknown
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 08:52:38 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I will keep this short.

I support admittance of Kentucky but do not support the amendment proposed by the Gentleman from New York City & Westchester.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »

Debate having been closed, the Speaker called for a vote on the Jay Amendment, which was defeated with just one vote in favor. Thus, a final vote was called:

National Assembly Vote:

Moving into the final vote, the result was unanimousl in support.

Senate and President:

With a unanimous vote in favor in the Senate, the Kentucky Statehood Act of 1790 was promptly signed into law by President Hancock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies