The trial of Lord Cyrus Manderly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:01:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The trial of Lord Cyrus Manderly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The trial of Lord Cyrus Manderly  (Read 1340 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »

The accusers will present their evidences and witnesses first, with the defense following after. Both will need to appoint a primary noble to act in leadership of each side, though all northern lords will of course be heard in due time. Judges need to be appointed, or the verdict can be put to an open forum and a vote. The trial will therefore proceed in three parts:

1) The accusers present their evidence, and interview their witnesses.

2) The accused does the same

3) The judges in the case then confer their opinions with eachother, and a verdict is reached. The accused is then sentenced.

At any point in the trial BEFORE the verdict is announced, the accused may request a trial by combat. He can participate himself, or choose a champion. The accusers present their own champion, and the outcome of the battle decides the case. It need not be fought to the death, but often times this is what occurs.

EVEN AFTER the verdict is announced the accused then sentenced, the accused can still take the black and thusly arrangements made to bear him to the wall. He is allowed to take token possessions and make out letters bearing his intents to his relatives before departing. Once at the wall, conspiring with former relatives will be considered a breaking of his oath.

===

THE ACCUSER:
Lord Cregan of House Stark

THE ACCUSED:
Lord Cyrus of House Manderly

JUDGES PRESIDING OVER TRIAL:

The accuser(s) may now make their case before the people of the North upon selecting his judges or opting for a vote in an open forum. Those lords and scions of noble houses confirmed to have travelled to Winterfell for the trial:
Lord Glover, Lord Cerwyn, Lord Tallhart, Lord Bolton, Lord Ryswell, Lord Perwyn Corbray

All lords and those of noble blood are within their rights to attend the trial.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »

Just to confirm, the trial will be after the weddings, right?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »

I hereby appoint Lords Bolton, Reed, and Umber as judges. As I personally issued the charges against Lord Manderly I shall hereby serve as the leader of the accusers.

(OOC wow I didn't see this thread until now, I wish someone would have sent me a PM or linked to here from the game discussion thread. I will prepare another post shortly)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »

All judges, please offer and recite this oath, so you may be seated, and the trial begin:

"I solemnly swear before the Old Gods that I will faithfully seek justice and shall diligently consider all evidence presented before me. I accept the responsibility placed upon me by my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark, to search for the truth and uphold the laws of Gods and men. I swear to respect the ruling we make as well as whatever sentence our King may impose"

All witnesses, before offering testimony, shall offer this oath:

"I swear before the Old Gods (and the New*) to provide the truth in full. I shall not omit any part of the truth, I shall not utter any lie, and I will do everything within my power to ensure the truth be found by this court."

* only required by Faith of the Seven worshippers

Defendant:

"I swear before the Old Gods and the New to speak only the truth. I accept the authority of this court and my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark. I acknowledge that the judgement made by this Court and the sentence made by King is final -- once the judgement is proclaimed, I lose any right to demand any trial by any method to alter the judgement against me."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »

"I, Lord Mychel of House Bolton, solemnly swear before the Old Gods that I will faithfully seek justice and shall diligently consider all evidence presented before me. I accept the responsibility placed upon me by my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark, to search for the truth and uphold the laws of Gods and men. I swear to respect the ruling we make as well as whatever sentence our King may impose."
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »

Lord Gideon of House Dustin shall attend the Trial of Lord Cyrus Manderly.

(Not sure if I need to say this here or not since I sent it in PM to Leo as well..)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »

"I, Lord of House Reed, solemnly swear before the Old Gods that I will faithfully seek justice and shall diligently consider all evidence presented before me. I accept the responsibility placed upon me by my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark, to search for the truth and uphold the laws of Gods and men. I swear to respect the ruling we make as well as whatever sentence our King may impose."
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2018, 10:21:55 PM by Kingpoleon »

Lord Manderly enters, with two of his honor guard first declaring his entrance. The Lord, dressed in his blue and green cloak of House Manderly, proceeds to stride slowly to his position, with three of the guard ahead of him and three behind. On one of his shoulders, a scarlet shoulder pad holds the sigil of House Manderly. On the other, a scarlet shoulder pad holds the sigil of House Stark. Once he takes his position, two of the guards stand behind it, and two stand on each side of it. He opens his mouth, and slowly yet surely speaks:

"I, Lord Cyrus of House Manderly, swear before the Old Gods and the New to speak only the truth. I accept the authority of this court and my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark. I acknowledge that the judgement made by this Court and the sentence made by King is final -- once the judgement is proclaimed, I lose any right to demand any trial by any method to alter the judgement against me."
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:51 PM »

"I Ossfryd, Lord Umber of the Last Hearth, solemnly swear before the Old Gods that I will faithfully seek justice and shall diligently consider all evidence presented before me. I accept the responsibility placed upon me by my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark, to search for the truth and uphold the laws of Gods and men. I swear to respect the ruling we make as well as whatever sentence our King may impose."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

Lord Manderly enters, with four of his honor guard first declaring his entrance. The Lord, dressed in his blue and green cloak of House Manderly, proceeds to stride slowly to his position, with six of the guard ahead of him and six behind, with the remainder guarding the door and judges. On one of his shoulders, a scarlet shoulder pad holds the sigil of House Manderly. On the other, a scarlet shoulder pad holds the sigil of House Stark. Once he takes his position, four of the guards stand behind it, and four stand on each side of it. He opens his mouth, and slowly yet surely speaks:

"I, Lord Cyrus of House Manderly, swear before the Old Gods and the New to speak only the truth. I accept the authority of this court and my rightful King, Lord Cregan of House Stark. I acknowledge that the judgement made by this Court and the sentence made by King is final -- once the judgement is proclaimed, I lose any right to demand any trial by any method to alter the judgement against me."

Lord Manderly, I assume you are finished with your theatrical show of force, so if you would be so kind as to order your men to exit this chamber then we may begin. Sit down, alone, and your guards can turn around and leave through the door they just came through. It’s treason to bare steel against your liege lord, of course, so I’m sure you had no intention of keeping your fancy guards standing by your side through the entire trial, certainly? I shall give you the benefit of the doubt, Manderly, and assume this is just another example of your queer Southron culture’s obsession with pointless spectacle. You aren’t in the Reach anymore, you don’t need a dozen armed men to protect you from backstabbing schemes and intrigues – we respect guest right in Winterfell. You are safe here from anything, save what justice may deliver.

Now that we are all gathered here, without a dozen swordsmen in our midst, we may begin. I thank the Lord Judges and the Accused for arriving promptly.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »

Lord Judges, I shall now recount and explain the crimes of Lord Cyrus Manderly.

1. Treasion, conspiracy, undermining the integrity of the North, and threatening its King.

I attempted to enter routine tax negotiations with Lord Manderly. He immediately threatened to rebel against the North. He also threatened he would swear fealty to Lord Arryn of the Vale and Mountains to facilitate this planned rebellion. He directly stated he already “knew” the Vale would offer their support to House Manderly in a fight against the North, thereby clearly implying he had been conspiring for some time, negotiating with the Lords of the Vale in secrecy.

Not only does he demand complete debt forgiveness from me, using his threats in an attempt to dictate the terms of his economic relationship with his liege lord, He makes bizarre claims of “secrets” he has learned in his secret negotiations with the Vale yet refuses to state anything clearly. Emphasis in the following text is mine own:

To My Lord Cregan Stark, King in the North:

The demands you require are high, indeed. Should we fulfill them, we would be forced to abandon any plans for a navy or silver mine. It is indeed true that this amount would make House Stark the richest House that we know of. That being said, we must beg my lord to not demand this amount. Should we pay it, we would request freedom from vassalage - you do demand nearly half our gold. Should the debt be forgiven, we shall build you the largest navy in Westeros, capable of threatening any city you wished to attack. In fact, we may even be able to attack the Vale. We know secrets that are likely not dreamed of in Winterfell. You may have the knowledge and the navy for the forgiveness of debt. And - a daughter of yours may marry my son or a son of yours may marry my daughter. In a relationship with a vassal, it is custom for the lord to provide a dower or bride price in the case of a son marrying a daughter.

The Lord of the Vale may offer vassalage, which we intend to refuse, for a great deal of land. Our loyalty to House Stark is well-known. Do not push us to the Vale - our hearts lie in Winterfell. I beg you, accept one of the offers made before. The Vale is powerful indeed, despite its secrets we have recently learned. This secret could give House Stark the title “Lord of the Vale.” Do not turn it away in haste.

- Lord Cyrus Manderly, Lord of White Harbor, Loyal Vassal of House Stark

2. Treason, conspiracy, attempt to incite unrest, undermining the integrity of the North.

Shortly after receiving the provocative response from Lord Manderly I became aware of the following message he had sent to Lords Ryswell and Dustin. In it, he explicitly offers their two Houses protection “from House Bolton and House Stark” - their lawful sovereign! – and he informs them of the considerable military support and diplomatic support the Vale has offered them. He is blatantly acting as a foreign agent, attempting to recruit fellow conspirators in his plot to undermine the North and overthrow his King. He concludes his missive with a declaration, "victory at any cost" the ominous and threatening words of a man who has surrendered every principle in his feudal oaths in his obsessive pursuit of power.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

At this time I shall pause, briefly. I request the witnesses, Lord Dustin and Lord Ryswell, to elaborate upon any further messages they have received from the Accused. I also welcome questions and comments from the honorable Lord Judges concerning my testimony, and I will also allow the Accused a chance to explain himself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2018, 03:46:30 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

I have no questions for the accuser at this time, but the court reserves the right to recall him in the future as needed.  Will the witnesses please offer their testimony?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »

No questions from me either
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »

Lord Judge Bolton,

I can confirm the message from Lord Manderly presented by Lord Stark as completely genuine, and unchanged in any way from the original document.  I must state that when I first received the message, I disregarded it completely and left it upon a desk in my study, for I could not believe Lord Manderly was serious in what he was proposing in the message.  Once I realized he must be serious I gave the message to Lord Stark as soon as I could, and awaited Lord Stark's call on Lord Manderly to come to trial for his crimes.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »

Thank you for your concise and straightforward testimony, my Lord.  I have no further questions for the witness at this time, but the court reserves the right to recall Lord Dustin to the stand for additional questioning, and may very well do so, once we have heard from Lord Ryswell and Lord Manderly.  While I would not presume to speak for my fellow Lord Judges, it would not serve to open a line of questioning that could lead to any preconceived notions of guilt or innocence before every concerned party has had a chance to say his piece, I think.  The court now calls Lord Ryswell to the witness stand.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »

If the honorable judges will allow it, the defense would like to question Lord Dustin:

1. Outside of subjective interpretation, is there anything that indicates Lord Manderly intends to violate his oath to his liege?
2. Do you, as a witness, currently bear any leanings to the guilt or innocence of Lord Manderly in these proceedings?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »

Of course you may question the witness, my Lord; it would hardly be a fair trial were this right denied you.  Lord Dustin, will you please return to the stand and answer Lord Manderly's to questions?  After you have done so, the court will hear Lord Ryswell's testimony.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »

Lord Manderly,

To your first question, attempting to negotiate with a foreign power as a vassal is itself a violation of your oath, as you attempt wield power that you yielded to your Liege in your oath to him.

To your second question, currently I am of the mind that you are guilty of violating your oath to your Liege, however I am willing to hear your version of these events before being sure of your guilt or innocence.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »

Thank you, my Lord; the court reserves the right to call you for further questioning if necessary.  We will now proceed to the testimony of Lord Ryswell. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »

Lord Manderly, upon hearing the words of his liege, turns towards his honor guard.

“Gentlemen, I release the bond of your word to my personage inside of this room. You are dismissed to guard the doors, unless my liege intends to object to this as well?” Lord Manderly turns to his liege, assuming he will nod his assent.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:26 AM »

Lord Manderly, upon hearing the words of his liege, turns towards his honor guard.

“Gentlemen, I release the bond of your word to my personage inside of this room. You are dismissed to guard the doors, unless my liege intends to object to this as well?” Lord Manderly turns to his liege, assuming he will nod his assent.

*nods assent*
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »

“Today, I stand on trial for treason. A sword hangs over my head, poised to strike. I look to the left, and see my liege has become my accuser. I look to the right, and I see my fellow Lord Dustin, a friend, has become my poison. I look to my lands, and I see a gang of misfits and ignoble animals - I durst not grant them the respect of the word “men” or “people” - coming to seize my possessions. I am called a traitor by Lord Creagan, my most honorable liege.” Lord Manderly pauses, making his intonations slow and sure.

“Yet I ask these noble judges a question: Do you not see me before you? Have you not hear the words testified against me? Can you not judge me yet? Assuredly, you do know. Assuredly, you do see me. Assuredly, most assuredly, you withhold judgement for now. I speak to you, noble judges. I speak to the courtroom. I speak to my liege, my accuser. I speak to my friend, my poison. I speak to the people of the North.” Using repetition, Lord Manderly seems poised upon his words.”

“My liege has demanded one-half of all I own. These taxes, uncollected for years, would not alone be objectionable. I am sworn to my liege - had he demanded that I not speak to a fellow Lord besides him, that alone would not be objectionable. I am a friend of Lord Dustin - had he demanded an immediate retraction and a reasonable conclusion, that alone would not be objectionable.” Lord Cyrus now speaks with a tone that makes it clear he is explaining what should have been done, according to reason. “These could have been private issues, resolved privately. But they have forced my hand - I must now speak publicly, or see myself hang. And were it just myself, still would I keep silent and not speak out against my liege and my friend. But my realm, my people, my children, my name: all these are at stake. Should I abandon these? May The Gods Forbid!

“Lord Creagan! I wrote to you in friendship, as a vassal to his liege should, for you are an honorable man. I asked for mercy and a redemption of taxes, promising you a great navy and other things, for you are an honorable man. Yet you spit in my face. I am ashamed to admit it, for you are an honorable man, but you took my words of a friendship between House Manderly, House Stark, and the Vale, and changed them to have a different and evil meaning. I now see that you, you honorable man, have presented falsified documents to the court.” Lord Manderly face seems to harden as he speaks. “You have done this, I can only guess, for a vast fortune. My father had a saying: woe to he who loves money too much, for this love of money shall be his downfall. My liege: forgive me, but he who makes problems public has made his own problems public. I have spoken the truth in this matter, as far and as much as I knew it, and it saddens my heart to do so.”

“Lord Dustin! I say: woe to he who loves power too much, for this love of power shall be his downfall. Have you flattered yourself so much that you believe I would betray my liege for your sake? Or do you think that all think so highly of you that it makes sense for me to risk my life and betray my liege for an alliance? No! I proposed an alliance of peace, and you made it out to be an alliance of war against my liege. You were like a brother to me; my words you publish are accurate, but the meaning you interpret is false. Woe to the one who gives up his friend for power! Were you not my former friend, and would not some of my respect for you have stayed in spite of this, I would surely have words for you much worse - a hundredfold worse - than my brother, my betrayer.” Nearly out of breath, Lord Manderly concludes his first statement. “I never intended, in any way, to break my oath to my lord, and to say I have done so is truly a most evil insult.”

“Most noble judges, you have heard my testimony, and it has been no easy thing to say - to speak the truth in matters of importance is rarely easy, but always necessary. I will answer all questions required of me now.” Lord Cyrus sits down, awaiting questions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »

Thank you, my Lord.  There are indeed several questions which the court would like to put before you although we shall do our utmost to be as brief as possible.  

1) You implied that Lord Dustin has sold you out for the promise of greater power.  Could you please elaborate about this allegation?  Specifically, what promises do you believe were made and by whom?  Do you have any concrete evidence at the moment to support this serious accusation?  

2) While I realize that he has yet to testify before the court, the court wishes to inquire, prior to Lord Ryswell's testimony, what your view is of Lord Ryswell's credibility.  Do you consider him to be an honorable man who can be taken at his word or do you assert that he has behaved dishonorably after being promised some sort of reward by your enemies?

3) What did you mean when you offered to share secrets not known in Winterfell?  Was this a reference to some strange Sothron religious custom or something of a different nature?  

4) What did you mean when you said to your liege "do not push us to The Vale?"  The court would not want to, even unintentionally, take your words out of context.  In my mind, the safest way to prevent that from happening is for you to explain the context to us in your own words.  What was it that you meant by that portion of your message?  

5) You made reference to an offer of an alliance to Lords Dustin and Ryswell, but claim it was an offer of a peace alliance.  Could you please elaborate a bit for the court?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »

Thank you, my Lord.  There are indeed several questions which the court would like to put before you although we shall do our utmost to be as brief as possible.  

1) You implied that Lord Dustin has sold you out for the promise of greater power.  Could you please elaborate about this allegation?  Specifically, what promises do you believe were made and by whom?  Do you have any concrete evidence at the moment to support this serious accusation?  

2) While I realize that he has yet to testify before the court, the court wishes to inquire, prior to Lord Ryswell's testimony, what your view is of Lord Ryswell's credibility.  Do you consider him to be an honorable man who can be taken at his word or do you assert that he has behaved dishonorably after being promised some sort of reward by your enemies?

3) What did you mean when you offered to share secrets not known in Winterfell?  Was this a reference to some strange Sothron religious custom or something of a different nature?  

4) What did you mean when you said to your liege "do not push us to The Vale?"  The court would not want to, even unintentionally, take your words out of context.  In my mind, the safest way to prevent that from happening is for you to explain the context to us in your own words.  What was it that you meant by that portion of your message?  

5) You made reference to an offer of an alliance to Lords Dustin and Ryswell, but claim it was an offer of a peace alliance.  Could you please elaborate a bit for the court?

1) He has not, to my knowledge, been promised any power. However, the idea he seems to propose is preposterous beyond my recall. I do not believe he would speak thusly if not for some unknown reason, and I do not intend to speculate before this court his reasons for such.

2) I know Lord Ryswell. Lord Dustin and Lord Stark are men - noble and honorable men, but men. Should the testimony of Lord Ryswell indict me in the eyes of this court, then I have neither head nor heart, neither eyes nor insight. I trust fully that Lord Ryswell will abide by the truth as he sees it, and he is a man who cannot be swayed: a great and true leader whom it is my pleasure to know. Should my head still be on my shoulders after this trial, he, witness against me as he is, will be the first man whose hand I shake. Let the record show I know good men outside of sometimes, and I know the character of a man. I do not now, nor will I ever, lie about someone’s character as I see it to advance my cause, in this trial or, hopefully, afterwards.

3) Most honorable judge, the secrets of a man are his own. I believe my liege knows these secrets now, due to my own correspondence with him. If I did not send the message before he arrested me, it would be coercion to force it from me now*. I did allude to a secret in my message. That part of the document was unedited.

4) Honorable judge, let me repeat: if my words convict me, then I must indeed be guilty. However, I believe that any document sent in haste, so that my liege May react quicker, may, of course be misinterpreted. I clearly meant that to take half of all I own is sure to create anger among those in White Harbor. I did not, you notice, say “push me.” In contrast, my “loyalty to House Stark is well-known.” Should I demand of any of my vassals half their income, I hardly expect them to hand it over without a little negotiation and back-and-forth. This is no crime, and my efforts to negotiate so have been spit upon by Lord Stark - a most unseemly position to take towards one’s own vassal.

5) Honorable judge, I am not known to be a man who makes war in haste. By an alliance of peace, I clearly mean protection - not some equivalent to attacking my liege and House Bolton, as Lord Dustin so slyly implies. I saw the movements towards peace between House Bolton and House Stark, and that indicates to me that the North may come towards a greater understanding of peace. My only goal in such communications to play a part in creating peace and a new understanding over the North.

*OOC: I don’t know if I actually sent it to you, Baconomics. Post in the other thread or PM me if I did.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »

Thank you for answering the court’s questions in such a timely manner, my Lord.  Your thorough answers to our inquiries have shed much and more light upon the situation.  You may step down, my Lord, but the court reserves the right to call you back up for further questioning or to deliver a final statement.  The court now awaits Lord Ryswell’s testimony.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies