~Half of Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 05:16:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ~Half of Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: ~Half of Republicans  (Read 13534 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »

What percentage of Democrats advocate the idea of having open borders by simply ordering our Border Patrol to stand down?  What percentage of Democrats oppose spending more money to oppose the upgrading of detention facilities to bring pressure to "Let 'em all in!"?  (Probably 2/3 at least if you go by Atlas.)

Boy, you're about to look stupid.

66% of Clinton voters want secure borders over open borders

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dumbassery aside, 47% of Republicans now support same-sex marriage and 64% of the country total. In 5 years, a majority of Republicans will probably support SSM. So not sure what your point is.

Ugh. I have Fuzzy on ignore for just this reason, but I have to respond to the "no scientific proof" blah blah.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/article/genomewide-scan-demonstrates-significant-linkage-for-male-sexual-orientation/864518601436C95563EA670C5F380343

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cross-cultural-evidence-for-the-genetics-of-homosexuality/

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1529100616637616

There's a whole bunch more. Yeah, it hasn't been proven without a doubt, and there are obviously different factors involved, but science does show that it is much more likely to be a genetic thing than a personal choice thing.

Plus, add in all the people who have no reason to lie because their lives have been made miserable by being homosexual who would love nothing more than to be heterosexual and the nearly universal failure of "conversion therapy," and there is simply nothing to support your claim.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »

What percentage of Democrats advocate the idea of having open borders by simply ordering our Border Patrol to stand down?  What percentage of Democrats oppose spending more money to oppose the upgrading of detention facilities to bring pressure to "Let 'em all in!"?  (Probably 2/3 at least if you go by Atlas.)

Dumbassery aside, 47% of Republicans now support same-sex marriage and 64% of the country total. In 5 years, a majority of Republicans will probably support SSM. So not sure what your point is.

Ugh. I have Fuzzy on ignore for just this reason, but I have to respond to the "no scientific proof" blah blah.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/article/genomewide-scan-demonstrates-significant-linkage-for-male-sexual-orientation/864518601436C95563EA670C5F380343

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cross-cultural-evidence-for-the-genetics-of-homosexuality/

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1529100616637616

There's a whole bunch more. Yeah, it hasn't been proven without a doubt, and there are obviously different factors involved, but science does show that it is much more likely to be a genetic thing than a personal choice thing.

Plus, add in all the people who have no reason to lie because their lives have been made miserable by being homosexual who would love nothing more than to be heterosexual and the nearly universal failure of "conversion therapy," and there is simply nothing to support your claim.

Same goes for transgender people, I’d add, though the science behind gender dysphoria seems a little more murky as far as I can tell.

Edit: that’s not to say that gender dysphoria = being transgender. Plenty of people who experience dysphoria don’t wind up being trans, contrary to what the more extreme activists on both sides of the debate claim
twenty42
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »

There are stupid people on both sides, and I’m sure you can get equally dumb responses from the left if you mined polls that way. Yawn.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »

To be honest you can get 30% of the population to believe anything like Bigfoot, Aliens in Roswell, or Beyonce and Jay Z teamed up with Rothschild to takeover the world. They just happen to all be Republicans.

Yeah, there are zero conspiracy theorists who aren't Republicans, LMFAO.

Anyway, disturbing numbers, obviously.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2018, 11:06:39 AM by Cold War Liberal »

What percentage of Democrats believe that homosexuals are "born that way" even when there is no scientific evidence to make that assertion?  What is the likelihood that such beliefs are, in fact, narrative-driven for political reasons?
Perhaps you should, you know, ask gay people. The likelihood that my being trapped in the closet (with the fear that my friends will view me in a negative way and my family will disown me if I come out) is all just a political ploy is approximately 0.000%. Smiley

This is absolutely horrifying, and how our democracy starts to totally die. We held elections during WWI, WWII, the War of 1812, and the effing Civil War. If popular support starts to build behind postponing an election on the whim of a wannabe dictator (never mind that there's no constitutional provision for that, at all), that would obviously be the biggest sign of democratic backsliding in the US to date.

Now, if Republicans want to boycott the 2020 elections out of voter fraud considerations, by all means, be my guest. Wink
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »

This is what happens when a political party (the Republican Party) pushes anti-intellectualism for over 50 years.

It all started with the John Birch Society and it's been downhill ever since.

Also, conservatives are factually much more likely to believe conspiracies than liberals.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »

What percentage of Democrats believe that homosexuals are "born that way" even when there is no scientific evidence to make that assertion?  What is the likelihood that such beliefs are, in fact, narrative-driven for political reasons?

I don't know that but I do know that this post is 100% full of sh**t. Smiley
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »

This is what happens when a political party (the Republican Party) pushes anti-intellectualism for over 50 years.

Also, conservatives are factually much more likely to believe conspiracies than liberals.
liberals are more likely to have counter-factual opinions regarding GMOs.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »

The GOP has always had an authoritarian bent.  That's the reason that the GOP has never become the home of libertarians.  They are laissez-faire on economics, but not on social policy, and they are military interventionists.

I'm certainly concerned about some of the results, but this isn't new to me.  There are lots of folks in America that advocate just throwing criminals in prison without trial; if a cop brings them in, they're guilty.  I've met such people, and that is a scary idea, and most all of them are on the right.  But how many folks on the left would be OK with this for those who commit "crimes against women"?  How many leftist (I deliberately will not use the term "liberal" here.) feminists are OK with watering down or throwing out completely the idea of a fair trial, the ability to mount a defense, and the right of the accused to confront accusers?  Is this not scary?

What percentage of Democrats believe that homosexuals are "born that way" even when there is no scientific evidence to make that assertion?  What is the likelihood that such beliefs are, in fact, narrative-driven for political reasons?

What percentage of Democrats believe that the principles of mainstream Christianity and the principles of mainstream Islam are equally oppressive toward women, even when both analysis of the Scriptures and of Christian societies vs Islamic societies refute that idea?

A better question is why Democrats seem to not be polled on their narrative-driven beliefs.

I talk to Republicans on a regular basis who are out-and-out dingbats, believing without proof some of the most outrageous assertions I can think of about Obama, liberals, etc.  And I agree that there is no reasoning with them on some of this.  I also agree that such people have always been around.

But I have also spoken to Democrats who truly believe that America is the root of all that is wrong with the World; they believe that all cultures have equal value and equal merit, and they believe that "religion" (they really mean "Christianity" when you push them) is the root of all oppression.  They believe that white people are inherently racist, and they accept, uncritically, the moral superiority of all non-white subcultures in America.  They root for our present government to fail in its objectives every bit as much as Republicans rooted for Obama to fail, regardless of the impact those failures might have on ordinary citizens.  That italicized and highlighted sentence reflects the posture of an astounding number of Atlas Democrats and Atlas Leftists.  (I attribute a good part of that to the fact that a lot of folks here are still college students and haven't experienced yet what it means to play the game of life for keeps.)

How, then, to create a spirit of moderation where none exists?  If it is true that the type of Republicans deemed abhorrent have always been around, one way to ratchet this down is to stop insisting that it's all Trump's fault, when its not.  If we want a better spirit of doing things in America, isn't Trump's cooperation (indeed, his LEADERSHIP) not essential?  Is that really so far-fetched?  Or am I far-fetched in thinking that today's left isn't as "scortched earth" oriented as their adversaries?

I would certainly agree that large segments of both party bases have views that are "out there" or views that one could find "objectionable". But I also think that the statistics, as presented in this thread, are disturbing. Many of them are not surprising to me in the slightest. As I've said before, I like to frequent conservative websites and to look at their comment boards, to see what people on that end of the ideological spectrum are thinking.

And many of the viewpoints listed at the top of this thread-the belief that Obama is a Muslim, that the FBI is monitoring Trump, that the media is an "enemy of the people", that Pizzagate actually happened, that the Mueller investigation is a fraud, that climate change is not real, etc. are actual beliefs held by many of Trump's most ardent supporters. There are so many people in this country who are ignorant, and who espouse racist or sexist ideas on a routine basis. And unfortunately, the political polarization of recent years has made this problem worse.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »

Explain.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »

While I suspect this is true, that’s not nearly as bad as the statistics presented by the OP that have much more serious ramifications for sound governance
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »

well it could be a result of factors in upbringing or something.but saying you're born lgbt is infinitely more accurate than saying it's 'a choice.'and typically that's how the question is presented in polling
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »

SSM is a fait accompli.  The idea that persons are "born gay" is not scientifically proven.  That's a fact.  Someone may accomplish that feat someday, but that day isn't today, and it wasn't any yesterday I can think of.

As for the open borders question:  Lots of people say one thing, but their actions show their intent.  These "Clinton Voters" SAY they want border security, but what is their record on supporting the border fence (not Trump's "wall", but the fence that's already been approved by Congress)?  What is their plan to disincentivize illegal entry?

I believe the "Clinton Voters" want border security as much as I believe "Trump Voters" want balanced budgets. 
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »

well it could be a result of factors in upbringing or something.but saying you're born lgbt is infinitely more accurate than saying it's 'a choice.'and typically that's how the question is presented in polling
Exactly. Thinking that your sexuality is a "choice" is completely and utterly bonkers. No straight person has ever gone "geez, I think I'm going to decide to be gay from now on". Regardless of what role genetics play, and what role social factors play, sexuality is not felt like a choice for anyone.

But more importantly, it doesn't even matter. Whether a person is gay because of genetics, because of social factors, or because they woke up one morning and decided to be gay for the hell of it, it is absolutely none of my business, period. Thinking otherwise is morally corrupt.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »

Exactly. Thinking that your sexuality is a "choice" is completely and utterly bonkers. No straight person has ever gone "geez, I think I'm going to decide to be gay from now on". Regardless of what role genetics play, and what role social factors play, sexuality is not felt like a choice for anyone.

But more importantly, it doesn't even matter. Whether a person is gay because of genetics, because of social factors, or because they woke up one morning and decided to be gay for the hell of it, it is absolutely none of my business, period. Thinking otherwise is morally corrupt.

I know people who have done exactly that, if I take their accounts of their own lives as true.  These were deeply troubled folks on a number of fronts, but they claim to have done exactly that.

To some degree, I agree with the last paragraph.  I'm not for sodomy laws, government jackboots kicking in bedroom doors, and the like.  I'm certainly not down with folks harassing gays for being gay, and I'm certainly not for employment discrimination on that basis (with the exception of religious employment). 

The Bible, however, has a definite stance on the subject, and in terms of what I believe God thinks is right and wrong is spelled out in Scripture.  My issue is with folks who wish to coerce me into silence on speaking about what Scripture says on the subject, and who insist that my children be subjected to anti-Scriptural teachings on this subject on my dime.  Those are my main issues on this matter.  I am not going to harass people for their lifestyles, but I'm not going to feed narratives that are un-Biblical either.  Lots of people don't sign off on me or my lifestyle.  Why is it so crucial I sign off on theirs?

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

These "Clinton Voters" SAY they want border security, but what is their record on supporting the border fence (not Trump's "wall", but the fence that's already been approved by Congress)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFi0QUboxs
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »

I know people who have done exactly that, if I take their accounts of their own lives as true.  These were deeply troubled folks on a number of fronts, but they claim to have done exactly that.
it sounds like they were sexually confused. or repressed.although i wonder if that's in part a generational thing?i've only ever heard boomers (or people close in age to that group) say things like that, anecdotally
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »

These "Clinton Voters" SAY they want border security, but what is their record on supporting the border fence (not Trump's "wall", but the fence that's already been approved by Congress)?

This is the very next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9BeXDVUuw

Hillary, as President, would never have moved to build the fence she voted for as a Senator.  If you think otherwise, check out the videos of the 2016 DNC which featured actual illegal aliens at the podium.  

Hillary claims to be a Christian as well.  Jesus said of the Pharisees:  "They honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me."  That's kind of how I view Hillary and the Border Fence.  I'll remain silent on her professions of faith.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 03:08:37 PM »

Hillary, as President, would never have moved to build the fence she voted for as a Senator.  If you think otherwise, check out the videos of the 2016 DNC which featured actual illegal aliens at the podium.  

Hillary claims to be a Christian as well.  Jesus said of the Pharisees:  "They honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me."  That's kind of how I view Hillary and the Border Fence.  I'll remain silent on her professions of faith.

If you're going to deride Hillary in terms of her Christianity, then I expect you to do the same for Donald Trump.  You and I see things quite differently in terms of her faith.  Whether it is genuine is between her and God; but she has shown her faith and that's what we can judge her on.  The same with Trump.  I seriously challenge you to compare the faith of Trump against the faith of Hillary and tell me which you truly see as the better, more faithful Christian--again, on their actions, not on what you perceive about their personalities.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

LOL.
You just judged her on her "professions of faith!."
What is this "I'll remain silent" bulls**t?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »

Do you really think that they have anything to gain from having the peoples' best interests in mind?

The media is an enormously powerful tool in that it has the power to manufacture & distribute narratives that influence public opinion. Media outlets on both sides of the political aisle, left-wing and right-wing alike, are mostly in the business of pushing agendas.

For the most part they aren't objective, and they bend the truth to form a narrative. They're just dishonest hacks that trumpet the sensationalized BS that they're fed through a teleprompter.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »

Hillary, as President, would never have moved to build the fence she voted for as a Senator.  If you think otherwise, check out the videos of the 2016 DNC which featured actual illegal aliens at the podium. 

Hillary claims to be a Christian as well.  Jesus said of the Pharisees:  "They honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me."  That's kind of how I view Hillary and the Border Fence.  I'll remain silent on her professions of faith.

We already have a border fence as well as natural barriers in place.  Of course, what most people don't realize is that illegal border crossings are not the biggest problem in illegal immigration; visa overstays are.

And Hillary Clinton is, regardless of whether or not you like her, a professing Christian.  For a long time she (like yours truly) considered entering the ministry.  The same cannot be said about the man you voted for.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2018, 03:29:40 PM by ProudModerate2 »

If you're going to deride Hillary in terms of her Christianity, then I expect you to do the same for Donald Trump.  You and I see things quite differently in terms of her faith.  Whether it is genuine is between her and God; but she has shown her faith and that's what we can judge her on.  The same with Trump.  I seriously challenge you to compare the faith of Trump against the faith of Hillary and tell me which you truly see as the better, more faithful Christian--again, on their actions, not on what you perceive about their personalities.

Fuzzy is a hypocrite.
When people challenge his "specific" religion of choice and his faith, he will adamantly tell you that what he does and says can "only be judged by God," and no one else (not you, and certainly not me). But he will use his "faith" to judge others (Hillary), and indirectly tell you how others do not conform to "Christianity" (and thus are going to hell).

People like this is why the US general public has lost all confidence in religion in our nation (Christianity, since this is the dominant religion in the USA). People like this find ways to use religion to advocate bigotry and hate (in their "wishy-washy" ways). They are not disciples of love and Christ, but more like minions of Satan. They are doing nothing positive for their religion (or personal faith), except tearing it down in the public's eyes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:55 PM »

Do you really think that they have anything to gain from having the peoples' best interests in mind?

The media is an enormously powerful tool in that it has the power to manufacture & distribute narratives that influence public opinion. Media outlets on both sides of the political aisle, left-wing and right-wing alike, are mostly in the business of pushing agendas.

For the most part they aren't objective, and they bend the truth to form a narrative. They're just dishonest hacks that trumpet the sensationalized BS that they're fed through a teleprompter.

This is exactly correct. Though I won't go as far to say that they are the enemy of the people, and while I don't condone Trump's attacks against them, I do think that the points made about the media and its bias are, on the whole, legitimate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »

The last question about bombing a fictional city getting 30% is just proof that you can ask a question about just about anything, and a significant percentage of people will answer in a certain way. What it says most of all is that we need to overhaul our public education system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies