Trump/Putin disaster summit. And also overseas visit w/ NATO & UK.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:11:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump/Putin disaster summit. And also overseas visit w/ NATO & UK.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: Trump/Putin disaster summit. And also overseas visit w/ NATO & UK.  (Read 20243 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

Any European Country who doesnt pay 2% of their GDP in defense then should not have the audacity to criticize US foreign policy then since it is the US who is spending their own money to defend them.

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 12:40:56 PM »

At this point I consider many EU countries to be acting like freeloaders .

Im so confused, what threat is there to the NATO nations that they have to spend so much?
There is no military threat to the EU/NATO nations. Russia is not stupid enough to invade a NATO nation, and China is more of a partner than an enemy. Even if there was some enemy that they were facing, the military of the European NATO nations is more powerful than any other nation. The problem is that 2% is not a good standard, as nations have different needs and desires. Can Germany afford it? Yes. Can Greece afford it? No.

Its also important to note that many of these nations have other problems facing them. The West has high unemployment, the East is dealing with reactionary problems and is still effected by the refugee crisis. Why would these nations spend money on building some extra fighter jets and bloating their military complex(ahem, USA), when they can fix their domestic issues?

The reason for a large military budget back in the 70s and 80s was to combat an actual enemy, the USSR. With it gone, what threat is there?
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »

Any European Country who doesnt pay 2% of their GDP in defense then should not have the audacity to criticize US foreign policy then since it is the US who is spending their own money to defend them.

Don't be an idiot. If a friend gives you something, knowing that it antagonizes your beliefs or is something you generally hate, of course you have the right to criticize them for it. The only thing is that in addition to criticism, they should be prepared to develop capabilities that enable them to have a more independent foreign policy.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »

Im so confused, what threat is there to the NATO nations that they have to spend so much?
There is no military threat to the EU/NATO nations. Russia is not stupid enough to invade a NATO nation, and China is more of a partner than an enemy. Even if there was some enemy that they were facing, the military of the European NATO nations is more powerful than any other nation. The problem is that 2% is not a good standard, as nations have different needs and desires. Can Germany afford it? Yes. Can Greece afford it? No.

Its also important to note that many of these nations have other problems facing them. The West has high unemployment, the East is dealing with reactionary problems and is still effected by the refugee crisis. Why would these nations spend money on building some extra fighter jets and bloating their military complex(ahem, USA), when they can fix their domestic issues?

The reason for a large military budget back in the 70s and 80s was to combat an actual enemy, the USSR. With it gone, what threat is there?

Don't confuse cause and effect.  Russia has historically been unlikely to attack any NATO country precisely because NATO has been a solid alliance firmly supported by the U.S.  If the alliance is weakened, that deterrent will be lessened, and it is quite plausible that Russia could try to make moves against the Baltic countries, for example.  Russia is indeed a strong power and a potential threat.  (Disclaimer: as a child of the Cold War, I grew up highly suspicious of the USSR and post-Soviet Russia, except perhaps for a brief period under Yeltsin.  But I still don't trust them.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »

Don't be an idiot. If a friend gives you something, knowing that it antagonizes your beliefs or is something you generally hate, of course you have the right to criticize them for it. The only thing is that in addition to criticism, they should be prepared to develop capabilities that enable them to have a more independent foreign policy.
If Europeans problem with the US is the fact that the US has military bases in Europe then they should tell that to the US and then I would support the US withdrawing their troops from European bases(except maybe the UK) .

The thing is Europe wants America to defend them but are not willing to spend their own money on it either to maintain their own defenses and that is the part which is maddening

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »

FYI EU =/= NATO and the only time Article 5 (attack on one is an attack on all) of NATO was in response to 9/11.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

Don't confuse cause and effect.  Russia has historically been unlikely to attack any NATO country precisely because NATO has been a solid alliance firmly supported by the U.S.  If the alliance is weakened, that deterrent will be lessened, and it is quite plausible that Russia could try to make moves against the Baltic countries, for example.  Russia is indeed a strong power and a potential threat.  (Disclaimer: as a child of the Cold War, I grew up highly suspicious of the USSR and post-Soviet Russia, except perhaps for a brief period under Yeltsin.  But I still don't trust them.)
I understand that, but as I noted before, The USA is actually weaker/on par, with the European nations in NATO. This is precisely why Putin has been adamant on trying to separate Ukraine from Europe, for as soon as he joins the EU, or NATO, its out of reach. While Russia's military is rather strong, it is over exaggerated, and Russia has a lot of weaknesses to exploit. A fossil-fueled economy, dissent, and the plains that lead straight to Moscow.
Russia is sly, manipulative, and ruthless, but not stupid. It knows it cant win against NATO. What Putin wants is NATO gone, not just the US, but the entire alliance. This is why he supported Marie LePen, a critic of NATO and the EU. If the organization is torn apart, then its easy pickings. But even if the US leaves, its still too much of a threat.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »

Too bad you’re tucking your tail and running rather than doing anything about it, Bob.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »

NATO countiries are supposed to hit the 2% target by 2024
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

Seeing as the most tangible result of that USA's military "protection" of Europe appears to be a protracted refugee crisis courtesy of US military expansionism, I'm sure most people will see that threat as ringing largely hollow.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »

How does Luxembourg increasing its military spending from £350 million to £700 million, make NATO better?

Trump's talk of %2 or %4 (he seems to now know himself) is pointless for every member, and if you don't have a plan and co-ordination then it gets even more stupid.

Nothing more then a way to excite his base.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 05:42:13 PM »

I think I read that Iceland is a NATO member (since its foundation in 1949), and doesn't even have a military force at all. I guess they are just lovers and not fighters.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »

Trump needs 4% so that Boeing has work once the Chinese stop buying American airliners.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »

I think I read that Iceland is a NATO member (since its foundation in 1949), and doesn't even have a military force at all. I guess they are just lovers and not fighters.

It's military value to NATO far surpasses what it could offer in terms of troops. Incredibly important air and naval base for NATO forces. Has all sorts of radar and air defence systems etc.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »

It's military value to NATO far surpasses what it could offer in terms of troops. Incredibly important air and naval base for NATO forces. Has all sorts of radar and air defence systems etc.

^^^^

Iceland is the fulcrum of the Atlantic defense. Read “Red Storm Rising” for a sense why.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »

^^^^

Iceland is the fulcrum of the Atlantic defense. Read “Red Storm Rising” for a sense why.

I was thinking of world war 2, but you are quite correct.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »

The Projector-in-Chief always accuses his opponents of being Putin's stooge as a cover for how he actually is Putin's stooge. He has done it with Hillary Clinton, the Democratic Party as a whole, and now Germany. He is more transparent than a window.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »

They don't need a military, they have Vikings.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »

America, under Republican supply-side fiction economics, can barely pay its own bills due to its inability to balance a budget yet you demand Europe pay their ''fair share''...ROFL
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »

They don't need a military, they have Vikings.

Don't be silly.
Everyone knows that there are no longer any Vikings in Iceland. They all migrated to Minnesota many, many years ago ...

Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »

Trump's tack with NATO is what he said he'd so, and why people voted for him.  Why this is so shocking is beyond me.

NATO was not meant to be permanent, and as early as 1956 or so, John Foster Dulles proposed to President Eisenhower that America do a cost/benefit analysis of our present alliances.  Now I DO think that our most reliable allies in the World are the democracies of the World and NATO includes the World's most stable democracies.  But NATO was not meant to be permanent, and it is time other nations carry more of the burden of national defense.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2018, 12:20:09 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Lt Colonel: Merkel handled Trump like a child.

Ret. Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters tells CNN's Anderson Cooper that watching NATO diplomats deal with President Trump at the NATO summit was like watching "psychiatrists deal with a disturbed child."

Watch the 2.5 minute-long video here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/07/12/ralph-peters-trump-merkel-nato-disturbed-child-sot-ac-vpx.cnn
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies