President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:50:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh  (Read 12570 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »

Justin Amash is against Kavanaugh, citing Fourth Amendment-related concerns.

He doesn't have a vote, obviously, but it will be interesting to see if Rand Paul has similar concerns.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »

Could have been a lot worse for the left, I think.

Barret being the scariest of the 4.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »

BREAKING...Bush Jr. on the Trump train:

It is ironic how Trump has now nominated two Bush appointees to the Supreme Court, given his professed hatred of the Bush family. And that Bush is praising Trump for this nomination.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »

Most of us actually. I was hoping Kennedy could last until after the midterms but a president getting two seats isn't a ground breaking accomplishment.

It's pretty big. Conservatives have wanted this for 30 years. It's like the culmination of the Long March, but from the right.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:59 PM »

Just my .02, but seems like Kavanaugh has more downside in terms of how ugly
His hearings could get without any of the base-exciting upside. Odd choice.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »

Do you guys realize Trump just filled two Reagan-era slots. Incredible. Incredible.

Who would've thunk it?

This is a concidence, given that Trump also broke Reagan's record as the oldest President upon inauguration.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »

Do you guys realize Trump just filled two Reagan-era slots. Incredible. Incredible.

Who would've thunk it?

Yes, Justice Kennedy was certainly waiting to be replaced by a great Republican President. Probably Justice Scalia was doing the same. And so both shall be.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:36 PM »

pic of clown Bush Jr.

It is ironic how Trump has now nominated two Bush appointees to the Supreme Court, given his professed hatred of the Bush family. And that Bush is praising Trump for this nomination.

Trump is basically Bush Jr. 2.0. Trump just distracts his dimwitted base more red meat than Bush while he picks their pockets
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »

Just my .02, but seems like Kavanaugh has more downside in terms of how ugly
His hearings could get without any of the base-exciting upside. Odd choice.

I have some misgivings about Kavanaugh, as I noted earlier in the thread. But at least he is better than Barrett.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:38 PM »

Most of us actually. I was hoping Kennedy could last until after the midterms but a president getting two seats isn't a ground breaking accomplishment.

It's pretty big. Conservatives have wanted this for 30 years. It's like the culmination of the Long March, but from the right.

Republicans have low standards.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »

His role in the Starr investigation seems pretty questionable; although it's tragically probably not grounds for blocking his nomination for Collins or Murkowski, it's definitely eyebrow-raising. I'm slightly surprised the media isn't immediately honing in on that, given how salacious it is. His weird focus on obtaining very specific sexual details about Clinton is very off-putting.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet: in the book "Blinded by the Right," it is alleged that Kavanaugh mouthed "bitch" at Hillary Clinton in the 1990s at some event. Obviously this is a claim made by an author with a strong liberal bias and is almost certainly unable to be substantiated, but it's a pretty interesting detail.

I overall just wasn't aware of how much of a Republican hack he seems to be, from his aggressive crusade against Clinton to being a pretty high profile member of the Bush administration. Talk about someone who has the potential to be an "activist judge" who acts upon their own political convictions...
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »

pic of clown Bush Jr.

Trump is basically Bush Jr. 2.0. Trump just distracts his dimwitted base more red meat than Bush while he picks their pockets

Well, my dislike for Trump isn't as deep as yours is, nor is my opinion of his base that low (given that my father is a Trump voter). But I have said before that most of what Trump has done up to this point (bar his moves on certain aspects of foreign policy and on trade), including such things as deregulation, tax cuts, climate change, healthcare, the federal budget, immigration, and judicial appointments, have been policies that any generic Republican President would have pursued (albeit with less drama than Trump). He really is no different from Bush on most policy issues.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 10:54:57 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Great pick on Trump’s part, he’s a fantastic selection.

He'll complete the conservative oligarchy take over of America.

Excellent news. You plebeians have had rights for too long.

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.
Yes, one court appointment will turn America into an evil fascist dictatorship.
Ted Nugent and the WBC almost  sound sane in comparison to you.

It's the exact same as the boiling frog metaphor.  You've been brought along so that you haven't seen it happening. If you think these are normal times, you're insane.

Even though I'm not a Trump supporter, there has been no change in my life since Trump won the election in 2016. Much of what has been said about Trump has been overblown.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »

His role in the Starr investigation seems pretty questionable; although it's tragically probably not grounds for blocking his nomination for Collins or Murkowski, it's definitely eyebrow-raising. I'm slightly surprised the media isn't immediately honing in on that, given how salacious it is. His weird focus on obtaining very specific sexual details about Clinton is very off-putting.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet: in the book "Blinded by the Right," it is alleged that Kavanaugh mouthed "bitch" at Hillary Clinton in the 1990s at some event. Obviously this is a claim made by an author with a strong liberal bias and is almost certainly unable to be substantiated, but it's a pretty interesting detail.

I overall just wasn't aware of how much of a Republican hack he seems to be, from his aggressive crusade against Clinton to being a pretty high profile member of the Bush administration. Talk about someone who has the potential to be an "activist judge" who acts upon their own political convictions...

Hopefully he's grown up as little in the 20 years since Starr. Kennedy sure thinks highly of him.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:47 PM »

Just wondering, I once read that everyone on the Supreme Court is either Jewish or Catholic, and that there are no Protestants.

Is that still true?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »

Liddle Rand knows his place. He'll do as he's told. He'll walk into the hearings, ask tough probing questions, hold Kavanaugh accountable with vague threats, and....and then just vote the party line because hes a cuck
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »

Just wondering, I once read that everyone on the Supreme Court is either Jewish or Catholic, and that there are no Protestants.

Is that still true?

I think Kavanaugh is Catholic.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:54 PM »

Is that still true?
Not anymore, Gorsuch is an Episcopalian iirc.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »

Is that still true?

Gorsuch is Episcopalian, I think.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 10:55:59 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.

It's the exact same as the boiling frog metaphor.  You've been brought along so that you haven't seen it happening. If you think these are normal times, you're insane.

Even though I'm not a Trump supporter, there has been no change in my life since Trump won the election in 2016. Much of what has been said about Trump has been overblown.

I agree with you there.  TBH, I voted for him, but I voted Democratic down ballot.  I don't actually like Trump, it's just that I thought he was the lesser of two evils. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 10:56:10 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

"Hitler is a dangerous demagogue"
Reply "You're insane.  Please go see a psychiatrist."

https://theconversation.com/normalizing-fascists-69613

Unfortunately, that article describes how Hitler was normalized in the United States, and not in Germany, but it still shows the idea that Hitler was a dangerous demagogue was idiotically minimized.

Dorothy  Thompson, who judged Hitler a man of “startling insignificance” in 1928, realized her mistake by mid-decade when she, like Mowrer, began raising the alarm.

“No people ever recognize their dictator in advance,” she reflected in 1935. “He never stands for election on the platform of dictatorship. He always represents himself as the instrument [of] the Incorporated National Will.” Applying the lesson to the U.S., she wrote, “When our dictator turns up you can depend on it that he will be one of the boys, and he will stand for everything traditionally American.”
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »

Is that still true?
Isn't Gorsuch Protestant? Pre-Gorsuch at least, that was true.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 10:57:41 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

You are the one that is insane.  Please go see a psychiatrist. 

Calthrina is a WOC...
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 10:57:52 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

You are the one that is insane.  Please go see a psychiatrist. 

Calthrina is a WOC...

Not according to his profile.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies