President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:07:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: President Trump is nominating federal appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh  (Read 12569 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

Should be the end of the voting rights act. Good riddance.

yeah, let's get rid of the right to vote for minorities! YEAH!

Let's make it harder for people to vote YEAHHHHHHHHH

Let's go back to extreme gerrymandering!!! YEAHHHHHHHHH

What does *go back* mean? Did you see Maryland's map?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

Based on prior rulings and the application of DW-NOMINATE, isn't this the most conservative one of the Final Four? Why are some suddenly acting like he's the least bit reasonable?

He's pro-stare decisis when it comes to the main issues, so it's unlikely he'll vote to get rid of Roe, Casey or Obergefell.

Ironically, part of the reason Kavanaugh didn't want to overturn the ACA and dismissed the case was because he thinks the federal government should be able to mandate private retirement accounts should SS be privatized.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

Great pick on Trump’s part, he’s a fantastic selection.

He'll complete the conservative oligarchy take over of America.

Excellent news. You plebeians have had rights for too long.

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.

Will you report me if I say delusional?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2018, 08:39:50 PM »

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.

Will you report me if I say delusional?

No, because if you don't agree with what I wrote, you're delusional.

I have only reported one post (and one thread) and it wasn't you.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.

I was told democracy died when Scott Walker wasnt recalled ... and also when Trump won.

It's a process, not a single act. Republicans have been destroying democratic institutions for around 40 years and the hyper partisan Republican Supreme Court is the final step.

So after 40 years in the wilderness we are finally taking that final step into the Promised Land. Hell yeah!
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »

Not surprising, and he'll be confirmed by about the same margin Gorsuch was. I look forward to the hearing and will announce a position on the nominee afterwards.

----------My Full Politician-Style statement is below:--------------------------------

The president has made his choice, and it is now time for the Senate to begin fair and full hearings and consideration of the nominee. There is no need to drag this out, for it is not a presidential election year, but a full and robust process must take place.

While Kavanaugh is less conservative than some of the other people on the list, and has previously made an encouraging ruling upholding the affordable care act, I still have some concerns. Kavanaugh has made previous statements suggesting one cannot indict a sitting president, and enthusiastically supported the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. He also enthusiastically supported the Supreme Court's partisan and controversial decision in Bush v. Gore. These all create key questions that should be posed to him at the upcoming hearing. One must also discern if he is sufficiently independent of the president, and if he is within the judicial mainstream in terms of the ideology behind his rulings.

I encourage the Senate to take this process seriously, and to cast their votes, be they YES or NO, for well-reasoned rationales based on the record and testimony of the nominee, and not based on partisan games. The #WULFRICPOSITION will be decided and revealed in the weeks to come.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »

here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »

*Based on his nomination process and not his votes*
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »

i know it wont make sense and i will probably regret asking, but why do you want to see the voting rights act repealed???

The antiquated Voting Rights Act already has an expiration date of 2031. Setting that aside, the idea that some losers who are upset are entitled to an electoral district of their choosing is cockamamie nonsense. The legislature of a given state should have power to draw districts.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »

I was told democracy died when Scott Walker wasnt recalled ... and also when Trump won.

It's a process, not a single act. Republicans have been destroying democratic institutions for around 40 years and the hyper partisan Republican Supreme Court is the final step.

So after 40 years in the wilderness we are finally taking that final step into the Promised Land. Hell yeah!

Except you've been guided by the Anti Christ and his False Prophet.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »

Not surprising, and he'll be confirmed by about the same margin Gorsuch was. I look forward to the hearing and will announce a position on the nominee afterwards.

----------My Full Politician-Style statement is below:--------------------------------

The president has made his choice, and it is now time for the Senate to begin fair and full hearings and consideration of the nominee. There is no need to drag this out, for it is not a presidential election year, but a full and robust process must take place.

While Kavanaugh is less conservative than some of the other people on the list, and has previously made an encouraging ruling upholding the affordable care act, I still have some concerns. Kavanaugh has made previous statements suggesting one cannot indict a sitting president, and enthusiastically supported the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. He also enthusiastically supported the Supreme Court's partisan and controversial decision in Bush v. Gore. These all create key questions that should be posed to him at the upcoming hearing. One must also discern if he is sufficiently independent of the president, and if he is within the judicial mainstream in terms of the ideology behind his rulings.

I encourage the Senate to take this process seriously, and to cast their votes, be they YES or NO, for well-reasoned rationales based on the record and testimony of the nominee, and not based on partisan games. The #WULFRICPOSITION will be decided and revealed in the weeks to come.

I forget, do you support overturning Roe v. Wade?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »

My views about Kavanaugh are mixed. While on the one hand, he seems very qualified and personable, and has demonstrated some flexibility with his rulings (i.e. Obamacare, Hobby Lobby, religious liberty), on the other hand, he is a Bush appointee, served in the Bush Administration, and is supported by establishment Republicans. I would have preferred Kethledge or Hardiman, but Kavanaugh is a generic conservative with a few independent tendencies, similar to Anthony Kennedy, in fact. I would vote to confirm him if I were a Senator, due to his qualifications and the fact that he's not an ideologue.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »

I was hoping for Hardiman but expecting Kavanaugh; looks like I was right about that. I'll be interested to see how his confirmation hearings go, but I suspect they won't be eventful. His opinions regarding the Bush v. Gore decision and executive power are concerning, but he doesn't seem particularly egregious.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »

i know it wont make sense and i will probably regret asking, but why do you want to see the voting rights act repealed???

The antiquated Voting Rights Act already has an expiration date of 2031. Setting that aside, the idea that some losers who are upset are entitled to an electoral district of their choosing is cockamamie nonsense. The legislature of a given state should have power to draw districts.

States should have the power to draw districts, but I would prefer that it be done through a nonpartisan commission. And the Voting Rights Act cannot be disregarded entirely. The provisions concerning grandfather clauses, literacy tests, and pre-clearance are ones that are absolutely necessary, and we must have some means of protecting the integrity of the ballot and the access of all eligible citizens to that ballot.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »

Kavanaugh may run into some trouble, with regards to his, uh, paper trail
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »

I forget, do you support overturning Roe v. Wade?

Yes, but I will make my decision holistically.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »

States should have the power to draw districts, but I would prefer that it be done through a nonpartisan commission. And the Voting Rights Act cannot be disregarded entirely. The provisions concerning grandfather clauses, literacy tests, and pre-clearance are ones that are absolutely necessary, and we must have some means of protecting the integrity of the ballot and the access of all eligible citizens to that ballot.

The VRA is badly in need of an update. Pre-clearance should be required for all 50 states and not just the South (frankly the formula that was used in the past was junk) Also, minority districts should be eliminated in favor of a ban on gerrymandering and specific instructions on how a state should drawn districts. As America becomes a minority-majority country over time, there's no reason to have minority districts.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

The VRA is badly in need of an update. Pre-clearance should be required for all 50 states and not just the South (frankly the formula that was used in the past was junk) Also, minority districts should be eliminated in favor of a ban on gerrymandering and specific instructions on how a state should drawn districts. As America becomes a minority-majority country over time, there's no reason to have minority districts.

I agree. The Voting Rights Act needs to be strengthened and expanded. When the justices struck down the VRA formula back in 2013, they had stated that it was outdated and was not in accord with present-day circumstances. Given the battles that we have seen over voter id laws, over gerrymandering, and over same-day registration, I think that changes such as the ones you suggest would be appropriate. The Civil Rights Act should also be updated. Unfortunately, however, these changes will not take place for years, if not decades.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »

Who would’ve been your choice?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »

Do you guys realize Trump just filled two Reagan-era slots. Incredible. Incredible.

Who would've thunk it?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

Conservatism has always been about diminishing the rights of the poor and marginal and expanding the rights of the wealthy and powerful.  The only thing new with Kavanaugh is that the U.S will no longer be a real democracy where anything can effectively be done to fight against that.
Yes, one court appointment will turn America into an evil fascist dictatorship.
Ted Nugent and the WBC almost  sound sane in comparison to you.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »

BREAKING...Bush Jr. on the Trump train:

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »

Yes, one court appointment will turn America into an evil fascist dictatorship.
Ted Nugent and the WBC almost  sound sane in comparison to you.

It's the exact same as the boiling frog metaphor.  You've been brought along so that you haven't seen it happening. If you think these are normal times, you're insane.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2018, 09:20:33 PM »

Remember though, Trump is a Democratic plant. Therefore Kavanaugh (and Gorsuch) must be Democratic plants as well. I'm ok with this. Smiley
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »

Most of us actually. I was hoping Kennedy could last until after the midterms but a president getting two seats isn't a ground breaking accomplishment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies