Hunting and shooting animals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hunting and shooting animals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which statement best describes you?
I hunt.

I don't, but I'm interested.

I'm not interested, but I have no moral objections.

I'm not interested.  Hunting is morally wrong.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Hunting and shooting animals  (Read 1209 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »

Well?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:18 AM »

I'm not interested, but I have no moral objections.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »

Somewhere between three and four. I think trophy hunting is morally wrong, but I'm not against people going out and getting their dinner directly from the source.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »

You mean hunting and shooting animals within the law? That is not my bag, but some hunting is actually good for the faunasphere, because it replaces what largely eradicated predators used to do, like lions to deer. Now deer seem to be almost as common as rabbits. So option 3 for me.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 11:26:05 AM by TDAS04 »

I voted option 3, as I don't complain about what so many people do here in South Dakota; shoot to kill quickly non-endangered species, and stay within legal limits.

I do, however, completely despise the killing of endangered species and the torture of animals.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »

It sounds boring and I don't do it, but I don't object except that I hate those little dick guys who think shooting an endangered animal from a helicopter makes them more of a man.

I actually think it's admirable to be a hunter who hunts invasive or destructive species, or act as the natural predator when there is no longer one.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 12:29:39 PM by DavidB. »

Voted for option 4. I obviously don't mind hunting if people really need the food to survive, but doing it for fun is morally wrong, and almost nobody in the West hunts because they need the food.

It's probably less morally wrong than buying meat in the supermarket, though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »

Interested. Too lazy to learn when bow safety day is to get licensed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »

You mean hunting and shooting animals within the law? That is not my bag, but some hunting is actually good for the faunasphere, because it replaces what largely eradicated predators used to do, like lions to deer. Now deer seem to be almost as common as rabbits. So option 3 for me.
More than "some", in the US it's probably "most".  Because hunters and the govt entities involved actually have a fairly good relationship (at least when the hippies stay out of it, or at least remain reasonable).  Hunters are much more into the environment than non-hunters, even ones that give money to environmental causes and march in parades about it.  They actually spend time out in it, enjoying it.  As fewer people hunt, we're going to see more and bigger problems with a few specific species.  As you said, deer in the Northeast are everywhere.  The south is being over run with hogs.  You can't let your pets or children unattended in many parts of southern California (including many urban places) or they'll get ate by a mountain lion or pack of coyotes.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »

Eh, Don't care
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »

Not my thing, but I've gone with people on hunting trips and have unsuccessfully taken shots off at a few hogs in the past. Not really my thing, like I said.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »

I have hunted rabbits when i was 13 with a 22.

Missed a lot and realised if you are not a good shot, you only injure the poor animal and an innocent white fluffy little animal just limps off to die a harrowing slow death under the moonlight whilst this music plays in the background.....

https://youtu.be/a502RejLz8s

No one will believe my 2nd only hunt.

Driving Aboriginal native title claimants around the bush during professional work.

They asked to stop the car.

We got out and hunted a bungarra with rocks. I missed.

But the tribal hunt was the go. Exhilerating.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »

Used to hunt. Don't anymore but have no issues with hunting. Would like to get back into it one day.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »

Option 3.  Human interests results in the depopulation or underpopulation of natural predators and also increases food sources for various prey populations.  They have to be managed or entire ecosystems will begin to fall apart.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »

Option 4
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »

Option 1
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »

More than "some", in the US it's probably "most".  Because hunters and the govt entities involved actually have a fairly good relationship (at least when the hippies stay out of it, or at least remain reasonable).  Hunters are much more into the environment than non-hunters, even ones that give money to environmental causes and march in parades about it.  They actually spend time out in it, enjoying it.  As fewer people hunt, we're going to see more and bigger problems with a few specific species.  As you said, deer in the Northeast are everywhere.  The south is being over run with hogs.  You can't let your pets or children unattended in many parts of southern California (including many urban places) or they'll get ate by a mountain lion or pack of coyotes.

A coyote who was wondering around our suburban street killed my beloved cat OJ in Laguna Niguel, in Orange County, CA. I named him that because he was orange and white coated, so it stood for Orange Julius + the football guy because he was so active and agile. And then OJ killed, and OJ the cat was most upset about that. I still miss him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »

Part of me is disgusted with the idea of hunting, injuring, and killing animals who can't shoot back.  Not to mention it is we who are encroaching on their habitat.  

On the other hand, we can't let deer and other herbivores run amok given we virtually wiped out their natural predators throughout most of the country.  And of course there's the introduced species like wild boar that have to be kept under control somehow.  So there's that.  

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »

So the moral thing is to just let the meat rot?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »

That would certainly be preferable. At least in that case some bugs or something would eat it and at least something would benefit.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 11:17:06 PM »

Somewhere between three and four. I think trophy hunting is morally wrong, but I'm not against people going out and getting their dinner directly from the source.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 04:15:55 AM »

I'll never cease to be amazed by just how unpopular the opinion that sport hunting is sadistic is. How one can take pleasure in the personal slaughter of (e.g.) a deer is completely alien to me.

If it is for fun or sport it is condemnable, otherwise for legit and good use it is ok.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:05 AM »

I'll never cease to be amazed by just how unpopular the opinion that sport hunting is sadistic is. How one can take pleasure in the personal slaughter of (e.g.) a deer is completely alien to me.

Historically it was the chase, rather than the kill, that was considered the sport. The inversion of this in modern hunting culture is actually legitimately interesting as a cultural phenomenon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »

In large parts of the eastern US, deer are actually destroying the forests. White-tailed deer populations have grown so large that they are grazing native tree species into local extinction.

This is an issue here as well - we actually have more deer now than in the Middle Ages! When asked what to do about this problem, the late Oliver Rackham replied 'eat Bambi!'
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »

As a liberal, you should know how demand and supply works. Less demand means less supply means less cruelty.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies