Trump to reverse Obama era Affirmative Action Rule
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:28:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to reverse Obama era Affirmative Action Rule
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump to reverse Obama era Affirmative Action Rule  (Read 381 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/politics/trump-administration-college-admissions/index.html
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »

Trump favors race-based discrimination, so this decision is not surprising.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »

I agree with the decision
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »

I'm personally not in favor of affirmative action that includes the use of quotas, but throwing away all protections is going to lead to more problems than solutions.

Trump favors race-based discrimination, so this decision is not surprising.

This as well.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »

I am shocked!
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't one of the first things to go
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »

Me too. White woman benefit from Affirmative Action more than anybody.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »

I’d be very supportive of an economic or income inequality-based AA program, as it would help the people who need it without providing loopholes for rich African parents to send their kids to Harvard at the expense of poor kids from the Mississippi Delta and give a leg up to poorer Asians such as Filipinos or Hmong who are doubly hit by the penalty AA regimes impose on Asian applicants.

Of course the Trump goons won’t create such a policy in lieu of what they’re suspending, but one day that’s what we should move towards
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »

I’d be very supportive of an economic or income inequality-based AA program, as it would help the people who need it without providing loopholes for rich African parents to send their kids to Harvard at the expense of poor kids from the Mississippi Delta and give a leg up to poorer Asians such as Filipinos or Hmong who are doubly hit by the penalty AA regimes impose on Asian applicants.

Of course the Trump goons won’t create such a policy in lieu of what they’re suspending, but one day that’s what we should move towards

I used to think similarly to you, until I read this study from Harvard, Stanford and the Census bureau. The tl;dr of the study is that black males raised in middle and upper income stratas are disproportionately more likely to fall into a lower income quintile than white males or than black or white females. So to the extent that disproportionate outcomes like that persist, I submit that it may be beneficial to retain strict race-based AA until structural factors affecting the accumulation of wealth among black males can be addressed.

I also think that the issue is strongly linked to racial discrimination in policing and that accumulation of wealth among black males is increasingly threatened by policing tactics that disproportionately impact them. And statistically, across race, age, and gender, educational attainment decreases the likelihood of serving time in jail or prison, so those two issues are reasonably linked together.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »

I used to think similarly to you, until I read this study from Harvard, Stanford and the Census bureau. The tl;dr of the study is that black males raised in middle and upper income stratas are disproportionately more likely to fall into a lower income quintile than white males or than black or white females. So to the extent that disproportionate outcomes like that persist, I submit that it may be beneficial to retain strict race-based AA until structural factors affecting the accumulation of wealth among black males can be addressed.

I also think that the issue is strongly linked to racial discrimination in policing and that accumulation of wealth among black males is increasingly threatened by policing tactics that disproportionately impact them. And statistically, across race, age, and gender, educational attainment decreases the likelihood of serving time in jail or prison, so those two issues are reasonably linked together.

Yeah I agree with this.  The economic AA approach sounds nice on paper and is something we should help make steps to correct, but it shouldn't be at the expense of race-based AA.  There are still simply way too many structural barriers that need to be addressed; pretending that some kind of colourblind AA will solve everything is missing the point.

I’d be supportive of an approach that combines the two, of course.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »

Yeah I agree with this.  The economic AA approach sounds nice on paper and is something we should help make steps to correct, but it shouldn't be at the expense of race-based AA.  There are still simply way too many structural barriers that need to be addressed; pretending that some kind of colourblind AA will solve everything is missing the point.

I’d be supportive of an approach that combines the two, of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies