who do we know certain facts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  who do we know certain facts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: who do we know certain facts?  (Read 187 times)
kcguy
Romania

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »

This is semi-rhetorical, but it's something that I went to bed thinking about last night.

Louise Brown turns 40 this month.  Emilio Palma turned 40 six months ago.  I've known who Louise Brown is for decades.  I first heard of Palma yesterday.  Why?

Louise Brown was the first person conceived in vitro.  I can see why that's significant.  But there are other groundbreaking patients that are lost to history.  For example, I can't name a single pre-1970 organ transplant recipient.

Emilio Palma was the first person ever born in Antarctica.  Until yesterday, I didn't know that anyone had ever been born there.  That seems like an odd hole in my knowledge.  I mean, I know Virginia Dare's name, but not his.

Is it a cultural thing?  We have much stronger cultural ties to the UK than to Argentina, and that was probably even more true during the years of the "Dirty War".  Is this the reason?

No real point to this post.  Just curious and thinking out loud.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »

The entirety of America (except for perhaps Louisiana and very northern parts of New England bordering Quebec) is extremely Anglosphere-oriented. I've often thought about this as well. Even isolated minorities in the USA, such as Native Americans on reservations, live a life that is heavily influenced by and built around Anglo culture.

I think it's pretty natural though, we have a national culture that's very much tied to other nations that influenced our history (the UK) or nations that had similar beginnings (Australia being the best example I can think of) and the majority of Americans speak the same language as those nations. The context of events are going to be easier to understand in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc, than in, say, Nigeria or Thailand.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »

Cuz I use my Emo powers
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies