Sen Lindsey Graham on Roe VS Wade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:17:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen Lindsey Graham on Roe VS Wade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sen Lindsey Graham on Roe VS Wade  (Read 1744 times)
The Materialist
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »

I did not know Graham was pro-choice.

Graham is "pro-choice" when the alternative is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »

Graham hates Trump.  Period.  I can't blame him; Trump gave out his private phone number during a press conference on immigration, and he got a slew of angry callers.

I wonder if he's switch to the Democrats  I doubt he'll run for re-election as a Republican.  Graham also has a bit more black support than most Republicans, and he has long advocated the GOP make serous efforts to gain at least SOME black voters as part of those who regularly support Republicans.

I mean, you really can't blame the guy for hating Trump. Seriously.

But I strongly doubt he will run as a Democrat. Graham is just far too right-wing for that. His brand of conservatism might not be popular in the GOP right now, but people like Flake or Kasich will never be Democrats. These people have spent all of their lives fighting against Democratic policies. Kasich was the right-wing alternative to Bush in 2000 and I believe I've read about rumours of a right-wing Flake primary challenge against McCain in 2004.

Graham unmistakably is toast in 2020 though. No way he wins reelection lol.

I'm not entirely convinced of this.  Trump's relationship with Graham has improved considerably after the election, and he's proven himself to be pretty resilient against primary challenges thus far. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

if Graham runs again in 2020 the seat is his. He was much more at risk in 2014 and he obliterated the field. Graham is grotesque and now very much a creature of DC, but he's a pretty smart politician. Since his failed 2016 he's very much ingratiated himself with the Trump White House as a moderate  if inconsistent ally, working hard to make some kind of Obamacare repeal even possible and voting for the tax bill. There's a decent chunk of South Carolina Republicans who are not hardliners, and the conservative opposition to Graham has never been organized enough or large enough to beat him.

Like McCain, who won sizably in 2010 the year when he really should've been beat, and in 2016 when towards the beginning of the year his approvals were pathetic, I think dislodging Graham would be a remarkable challenge that takes a real candidate and I don't see it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »

Guys, read this more carefully.

"I'm not going to vote for anybody that tells me they're going to decide a case before the facts are presented to them,"

We're all pretending that the justice being nominated won't be solidly against Roe v. Wade based on previous vetting by the Federalist Society because they won't *say* at their nomination they've decided. But everyone knows they have, or else they wouldn't be nominated.

This is 100% kabuki theater and Graham is still anti-abortion.

Are you under the impression the Federalist Society exists for the purpose of overturning Roe v Wade?

I'm not interested in engaging with disingenuous questions.

I'm legitimately confused about what you think the Federalist Society is.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »

Graham is one of the reasonable Republicans, relatively speaking. He voted for both of Obama’s court nominees (the only Republican from a red state to do so)

Yeah, which is why he'll vote for the nominee even if he did become pro-choice (lol).

Graham is one of few senators who will vote for court nominees without secret litmus tests, even though he supported the McConnell Rule.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »

Three Senators have now said they don't want an anti-Roe judge: Manchin, Collins, and Graham.

That’s not what Graham said. They will oppose a judge who outright states he will overturn Roe. No judge would actually say that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 10:12:37 PM »

Three Senators have now said they don't want an anti-Roe judge: Manchin, Collins, and Graham.

They are full of sh**t. They will all vote for someone who will weaken Roe.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »

That’s not what Graham said. They will oppose a judge who outright states he will overturn Roe. No judge would actually say that.

Yeah. Throwback to this moment from the Gorsuch hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI

If his vote in the California Reproductive FACT Act case is any indication, he completely lied when answering that question.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »

Yeah. Throwback to this moment from the Gorsuch hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI

If his vote in the California Reproductive FACT Act case is any indication, he completely lied when answering that question.

That case had nothing to do with Roe or abortion restrictions.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 10:57:34 PM »

I did not know Graham was pro-choice.

Graham is "pro-choice" when the alternative is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

I mean yeah Roe is wayyyy to valuable to the GOP to do away with.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:12 PM »

That case had nothing to do with Roe or abortion restrictions.

^^^^

It was still wrongly decided, especially with the second question, but this is true.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »

Warren is going to wipe the floor with him in the 2020 primary.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »

This is just posturing, of course he'll vote for the nominee.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

Gorsuch didn't say that he wouldn't overturn it, just that he wasn't saying what he would do in his hearings.  Unfortunately, that game is very common in these hearings, but I still think he will overturn Roe if he has the chance to do so.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »

Of course the right is gonna overturn Roe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies