North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:45:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted  (Read 31295 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:36 AM »

So wins
NC senate GOP supermajority or Roy Cooper and his super majority court.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:29:15 PM »

NC doesn't allow initiative or referendum.

The governor can't veto the map.

Is there any way at all to end Republicans' gerrymandering?

how tf don't MN and WI two states with large amounts of progressive and #populist not allow referendums?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

I like how every commenter after my post glazes over the fact I posted that North Carolina and other southern states are required by the federal government to create supermajority Democrat districts specifically to elect African-American candidates to Congress, and this in turn makes other districts that surround these districts more Republican. If you do not remove that requirement, that means Democrats in the rest of the state's districts would always be fighting uphill.

it has never been required for a super majority district anyway. I think by now outside the deep south a 45% AA district is enough according to some court rulings. In a place like NC a 40% AA district would reliably elect african americans as they would form like 4/5 the primary vote for D's and then the few liberal whites which is greater than Ms liberal whites would elect a black D.

Anyway Im no fan of the VRA required districts and they clearly aren't required anymore outside a few deep south states(see MS LA AL) as we saw people like Lauren underwood and Joe Nuguese get elected in like Purple heart% black districts.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:17:02 AM »

I still don't like VRA districts as it does segregate the country too much. Its clear outside the DEEP racist hicks only a few VRA districts are required.

Lets see
Texas - No longer a need for strict VRA. if the GOP wants to gerrymander against hispanics they can get BTFO in a dummymander
GA-Bishops district is losing population anyway
FL- there is one northern florida black district. The three cuban districts are represented by white people. The black district could just be  2 districts now. One lean-Likely D in Jax and a Likely R Talhasee district.
The rest of America clearly has no problem electing black people in a major amount. See Lauren Underwood in Il 14th , Joe neguse in Co 2nd and Hayes in Ct 5. All of these are very low population african american districts and  two of them are swing districts .  Only a few states like MS AL and LA probably need it because of their racially polarized history.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »

I like how every commenter after my post glazes over the fact I posted that North Carolina and other southern states are required by the federal government to create supermajority Democrat districts specifically to elect African-American candidates to Congress, and this in turn makes other districts that surround these districts more Republican. If you do not remove that requirement, that means Democrats in the rest of the state's districts would always be fighting uphill.

it has never been required for a super majority district anyway. I think by now outside the deep south a 45% AA district is enough according to some court rulings. In a place like NC a 40% AA district would reliably elect african americans as they would form like 4/5 the primary vote for D's and then the few liberal whites which is greater than Ms liberal whites would elect a black D.

Anyway Im no fan of the VRA required districts and they clearly aren't required anymore outside a few deep south states(see MS LA AL) as we saw people like Lauren underwood and Joe Nuguese get elected in like Purple heart% black districts.

That makes them supermajority Democrat districts, which mean every district that surrounds it is more likely to elect a Republican. What's a gerrymander again?

Drawing districts specifically to elect African-Americans to Congress are by fact gerrymanders because you're taking all the Democrats and putting them in one area. In addition to being disgustingly segregationist, the Voting Rights Act requires them otherwise all the districts get thrown out, and yet some commentators are talking about gerrymandering as the reason Democrats lose while defending the existence of these districts. It's the height of bullsh**t.

I will not take any anti-gerrymandering post or comment by anyone seriously until they say they are for stopping this requirement on drawing districts, period, otherwise you're a walking contradiction. If that requirement was removed, this would IMPROVE Democrats' chances on getting more seats, so you cannot accuse me of supporting this for partisan reasons. So why don't Democrats support this other than they don't have the balls to stand up to the Black Caucus?

Why would anyone Think it important to protect black political representation in the South. You've truly stumbled upon a Deep mystery here and the only explanation is a political Conspiracy run by blacks and, eh, globalists.

Wouldn't blacks (who vote 90%+ democratic) prefer say, 2 or 3 white democrats who agree with their views over one black democrat though?

representative russ Carnahan agrees.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »

Absurd ruling

By this logic basically every law from 1860 to 1960 in NC is void.

Im pretty sure even the 6-1 D NC SC will strike this down.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2019, 09:00:37 AM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

Its frankly absurd that we still even have AA seats. Even if there was it should be a strict 50% and not change to the Democrats benefit like in Virginia at 40%.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

Now that SCOTUS has leaned in and decided that gerrymandering is non-justiciable, how could the SCONC alter the map and get it to stick for 2020?

Coz its the Supreme court of North Carolina.  They just have to find some random words in the state constitution and SCOTUS won't do jack.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »

The New Yorker got a full look at all of the Hofeller files.

Probably enough evidence in here to get their Congressional map thrown out again for being a racial gerrymander, among other things.

Unfortunate if it gets thrown out by SCOTUS for racial gerrymanders which are always of some weird logic, 35% districts are fine in VA but do that in MS and they slap you back. The worst case this decade was the VA state house. I am not gonna deny it was a gerrymander but its incredibly unfair one map gets thrown out racial gerrymandering but the Democrat State senate one doesn't because its not "racial".The VA state house map was supported the black caucus seeking a bipartisan gerrymander.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:02 PM »

Isn't the one that drew a map more favorable to Democrats than 99% of other maps?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »

btw can anyone explain how the D's get the 6 seats to flip the NC house?

They are literally maxed out in Charlotte afaik due to a dummymander. The GOP should probably have 1 seat there in 2018 in a fair map. How would they flip 7 other seats?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies